Thread: IR - Telugu Songs and Lyrics

Threaded View

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, the raw data

Plum
    21st June 2009, 09:20 PM
    Suresh, usha, this is freaky. Have been looping on vayyari godaaramma last 2 days!
    I haven't heard of this movie but caught these songs a year ago. Even during the assembly line peak of his in telgu, out comes such a unique stunner of an album.
    Vayyari godaaramma is really a delicous song. You can feel the gentle mild waves of godaaramma lapping your feet, though the reference to godavar is purely metaphorical here. There is something intensely telugu and godavari about this song that I can't place my fingers on. The thick green groves and the smell of fresh mud is what I get here...
    Plum
    21st June 2009, 09:25 PM

This album is as much spb-janaki's as IR's.
    I always thought voice was a functional necessity for IR but once very often, you get songs like this which tells you he is very aware of the utility of voices as an instrument by itself. That SPB is a part of many of these probably tells us why he stuck to them instead of experimenting. Consider this:
    Nijamu naa swapnam - SPB, with janaki humming just that microsec inbetween. The economy of that humming in janaki's voice is a measured and deliberate tool in Raja's hands.

The melodies in various parts of the song escalate, as Suresh observed in other contexts, and keep surprising you with the turns.

What is important is that this is similar to Sumam prathi sumam in that sense but at the same time, it is not the suffocating, continuous escalation of melody stakes. Here, IR gives us enough seconds to absorb one melody before giving another - the net effect is one of sitting on a boat parked near the shore on Godavari on a moonlit night with your beloved, and partaking the simple pleasures of the waves lapping your feet, and the company of sweet nothings.
    The lyrics deserve a mention, too. Is it Veturi, Suresh? Sweet nothings never got more melodious words, and lighter or effortlessly weightless profundity.
    Stanza:
    SPB: Nijamu naa swapnam // My dream IS reality
    ho ho - minute humming by S Janaki
    Janaki: kalanO lEnO // I may be there, then again I might
    be an illusion
    SPB: Neevu naa sathyam // You are my reality
    ho ho - minute humming by S Janaki, modified from previous time
    Janaki: avunO kaanO // Oh, really! Maybe, not!
    SPB: Ooha neevai, usuruko raave // if you are an illusion, why dont you just become real?

And so on.... my limited grasp of telugu could only translate so much but while I might be exaggerating ordinary lyrics for all I know, I find the sweet nothings here, the teasing between the girl and the boy, pretty interesting.

Sureshs65
    21st June 2009, 09:26 PM

Very true Plum. There are some songs which have this complete 'Telugu' character. 'Kinnarasani Vacchindi' is one more such song. Don't know how he does it but it is definitely magical. There is infact a small bit song which starts 'Ladies Tailor' and it is absolutely Godavari / Rajamundry stuff.

'Vayyari Godaramma' has been in a loop in my car. I haven't seen this movie but trying to get hold of it. I think I have seen most of Vamsi / Rajendra Prasad combo. Don't know how I missed this one.

tvsankar
    22nd June 2009, 11:09 AM

Suresh and Plum,
    Enaku Telugu film per kuda theiryadhu.
    Just telugu songs nu search panninen.
    Idhai parthen.

Preminchi pelladu - ella paataiyum kaeten,
    Very nice.
    Nirandharam - Romba pidichadhu.

Plum
    22nd June 2009, 08:16 PM

P.S:Suresh, please ignore the errors in translation, if any. As the dreamy lover says in the song, "if you are an illusion, then become my reality" so similarly, "if my translation being correct is an illusion, let that be my reality" for the sweetness of that nothing-song is quite nice for me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement