Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NOSTALGIA - What do you miss most....

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made many blog entries on this subject. Including one where I slept in the same room as a sack of durian, got fever and till today I am alergic to durian, king of fruits here. Sad.

Actually, can relate to the ones NOV posted. Birthday at 21, my hands were shaking cutting the cake for the first time. Still got scars from bike injury. Childhood buddies are still the closest to me. Oh those asthmatic era....
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    unfortunately I was mostly home bound ... the perils of being born in a business-oriented family
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Things I miss.

Letter writing. The wait in anticipation for the reply that takes days, weeks, months. The automatic smile when dads walks in with envelopes that doesn't have windows in them.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.oldindianphotos.in/search/label/Tamil%20Nadu

Very rare and detailed collection of Old photos, Black & White. Epic blog! Great information!! Treasure!!!

(Not sure if this is the right thread!)
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!

https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Post Thanks / Like
    TO THOSE BORN IN 1930 – 1979
    First, we survived being born to mothers who had no maids; they cooked, cleaned while taking care of us at the same time

We took aspirin, candy floss, fizzy drinks, shaved ice with syrups and diabetes were rare

Salt was added to Pepsi or Coca Cola and Sinalco

We brought empty bottles to hospital to be filled with cough syrup

When we were children, we were experts in cycling even when our feet could not touch the ground

As children we would ride with our parents on bicycles, the richer ones in cars with no seat belts, no booster seats and no air bags

Then we drank water direct from the garden tap and not from a bottle

We would spend hours on the fields under bright sunlight flying our kites, without worrying about the UV ray which never seem to affect us

We go to the jungle to catch spiders without worries of Aedes mosquitoes

With mere 5 pebbles (stones) would be an endless game

With a ball (tennis ball is best) boys would run like crazy for hours

We even caught guppies in drains/canals and when it rained we swan there

We shared one soft drink with four friends from one bottle and no one actually worry about being unhygienic

We ate salty, very sweet and oily food, candies, bread and real butter and drank very sweet soft coffee/tea, ice kacang, but we weren’t overweight. Why? Because we were always outside playing !!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day till streetlights came on

No one was able to reach us all day and we don’t have hand-phones to bug us and we were ok and we were safe

No cell phones, no personal computers, no internet, no Nintendo games, no DVD but we had FRIENDS!

We rode bikes or walked to a friend’s house and just yelled for them

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and we still continued the stunts

Yet this generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all

AND YOU ARE ONE OF THEM! CONGRATULATIONS!
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Adhirasam – Deepavali Nostalgia of Bygone days

My earliest memories of Deepavali begins with the making of the dough for adhirasam. A few days after Saraswathy Poojai, my father would start making the dough, launching the start of Deepavali celebrations. Adhirasam is a must for Deepavali, and those days in Penang at least, everyone made golden coloured adhirasam unlike the brown, doughnut-shaped adhirasam of these days. Sadly the white sugar adhirasam is no longer seen.

Father would make a large amount of the dough and leave it to season in a huge claypot. After this initial ritual, the making of the rest of the palagarangal (goodies) would begin. Always, they would be the same goodies – murukku (always kadalai murukku, not ulundhu murukku), Omappodi, sEvu and pakada. He would make massive amounts of these goodies, for they were to be distributed to customers, neighbours, friends and relatives on Deepavali day. Thus one palagaraam-making would entail a whole-day affair. Mother would be relieved from the kitchen, but not spared from work or nagging. All children would be involved and the whole process would be like an assembly line with each child being tasked with one process. Palagaraam-making will end with the frying of adhirasam, just before the big day.

On normal days, father would wake up before 5am and would cycle to the wholesale market to buy fresh produce, to sell in his sundry shop. A few days before Deepavali, he would come back from the market smiling. New clothes for everyone! What sweet memories that brings back to me now!

And then Deepavali would arrive! All in the family would be woken up early to have the ritual bath before sunrise. We would all assemble at the prayer room, where all our new dresses would already have been dotted with turmeric. Father would then “put sambrani” for the lamp, new clothes, gingelly oil and the seeyakkai (traditional shampoo), before giving oil to each member of the family. In the meantime, a huge metal pot of water would be boiling and each of us would take some and proceed to bathe. (The oil is believed to be Lakshmi and water, from Ganges.) As there was only one bathroom, it would take a while before all nine of us would be ready.

And then prayers would begin – that would be the most elaborate prayers we would have had all year round. Once prayers was over, father would launch the celebrations with the lighting up of fire crackers – this was before it was banned. We would then sit down for breakfast for a once-a-year treat of Nescafe. Mother will continue to serve steaming hot thosais and then we would partake of the palagaaram. Soon, the packing of the palagaaram would begin and we, the children would start making rounds delivering those palagaaram to all and sundry.

My children too grew up with all these rituals - from making palagaaram to early morning oil-bath ritual; nothing is missed or compromised. For what is man without culture. Hopefully, this tradition will be passed on to future generations.

Adhirasam – such sweet memories it brings.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123