Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: amazing facts

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by r_kk
    Quote Originally Posted by HindustaniLadka
    Here are some facts about India(forgive me if someone already posted these earlier):

According to Forbes magazine, Sanskrit is the only language that is suitable to make a computer programming language.

India has never invaded any country in her last 10000 years of history.

India is the only society in the world which has never known slavery.

India is the world's largest consumer of gold. And, by year 2000 the Indian market for gold will reach 1000 tons.
    Hi HL,
    some of your statements are not true. Even though I appreciate your proudness of being Indian, the above statements or being proud about old history are going to bring any real source of wealth or happiness to any one.

As on today, sanskrit is spoken by very limited people and its application to computer programming is highly questionable. Can you please explain how it is better than any other language for programming?

As usual with many kings, Indian Kings also equally egoistic and fought many wars with other Indian Kings for useless reasons. Raja Rajan could able to reach Indinesia and Srilanka. If you call all these countries as part of old India, your claims may be correct. The other major reason for not imposing war on other countries is that India is being land locked by Himalyas and seas.

"India is the only society has never know slavery....!!!"
    ... surprising news. We can tell India is the only country still slavery exist in the form of caste system.

Regarding the quantity of Gold purchased by Indians... Gold is the form of locked or unflow money. In a real economical development of a country such large blockage of money by individual in the form of Gold will not bring any growth to the country. We can tell differently that India is the one of the place where lot of money is invested on useless decorative jewells (also part of money transfer in illegal practices like dowry, black money storage etc).
    Sanskrit is better as a programming language than other spoken langauges because it is syntactially perfect, it is the most unambiguous langauge on Earth, and it is systematically perfect.
    Also, Sanskrit itself may not be spoken by many people today, but it is still alive in many Indian languages like Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Hindi, etc.

As for the thing about India not invading other countries, i'm not sure whether any of the countries in South-East Asia were populated at the time. I think you could be correct on the other part though, but i have to research more about that.

India is the largest consumer of gold because it has great value in Indian culture, not because of illegal practices or anything liek that. People buying gold and jewels for themselves is not going to hurt the Indian economy in anyway. It is not like India is going by the gold standard or anything like that.

When i say slavery, i mean literal slavery where people are forcefully captured and forced to work. The caste system does not really force people to work, they can run away without being chased after if they feel like. In real slavery, the slaves are chained down to their masters property and if they try to escape they will be killed. When you think about it, every country has its onwn form of the caste system. For example, in America, the poor are kept down and they are expected to do all the labor jobs, the business class is looked down upon by the rich and educated class. There is even a racial herarchy. Asians and Indians are ussually in the higher intellectual class. Whites are basically spread out into every class. African-Americans and Hispanics are generally in the lower labour class. Anyway, my point is that the caste system exists everywhere, but the only difference is that it does not have a name in other nations.

Oh, by the way, i'm not trying to say the corrupted form of the caste system that has been followed for some time around the world is correct and i am not trying to be racist. I know there are plenty of successful African-Americans and Hispanics in America, but if you look at statistics, they are generally poorer than others...not because they are inferior, but because tey have been pushed down throughout history.(Slavery, etc.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber r_kk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi HL,
    If I write about the slavery based on caste system, this thread may be deleted. If you want to know the reality go to Bihar or UP remote village and see tha facts. You also try to find out the source for the system. If someone want to just to be proud without bothering reality, then no explanation will help.

Similarly about Sanskrit... Language is meant for communication and nothing to be proud about it. If an language is having flexibity and has ability to hold latest things it will survive. Please understand why Sanskrit is not able to survive.

Please ask any economical expert, whether storing large wealth in the form of Gold is right or not. More over there is nothing to be proud about Indian's Gold Craze.

We can't be proud about the % of intelectuals working in NASA or MS or any bigger MNCs. I feel that it is some kind of racial proudness!!! If some one had achieved some thing personally it is totally theirs and nothing to be proud about as Indian. I think we can be more proud about the underpaid ISRO or NIC scientists.

I feel there is no use being proud about or feel shame about one's old heritage, past history or achievement of others or things which came without any effort.
    Netrikan thirapinum kutram kutrame...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok...it depends on your opinion i guess.

//Please ask any economical expert, whether storing large wealth in the form of Gold is right or not. More over there is nothing to be proud about Indian's Gold Craze. //

No one stores wealth in gold. People buy it for jewelry, etc. I don'
    t see anything wrong in buying gold.

Senior Member Regular Hubber Guyana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrote: "I feel there is no use being proud about or feel shame about one's old heritage, past history or achievement of others or things which came without any effort."

Well many people do just because they are born Indians. They think they have somewhat "earned" the past into the present over others born elsewhere, from which all sorts of claims and denials are made. On the contrary, if you are Hindu and knowledgeable about it, its a "crime" to discuss and share it. At the same time, they want to entertain preconceived ideas, then form false basis to attack and to be able to do so, they select what they want. These are some of the reasons why I stayed here for as long as I did (it was never in my agenda, it came my way as I was dealing with other issues) which has been very expensive for me, more than I ever indicated. I hope others like HL will learn.

Its good to look to the past glory which we are all part of, but its best to look at the present and future which we are not all part of. Half the time here, only one of the dimensions along the past is singled out for importance, which only comforts the sole, found to be Discriminatory and self serving with no positive hope.

>>From: r_kk on Tue May 17 4:04:03 2005.
    ... Language is meant for communication and nothing to be proud about it<< Its used to determine your Indianess.

I was finally able to put things in place so that this "fort" is watched and monitored which gives me the relief I desperately needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it that you people are only skeptical about something when it is pro-India or pro-Hindu? You don't seem to have any problems if we say something good about another country or religion.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it that you people are only skeptical about something when it is pro-India or pro-Hindu? You don't seem to have any problems if we say something good about another country or religion.
    We just don't believe lies!

Senior Member Regular Hubber aravindhan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whilst a lot of the facts you presented are true, a number are not. Since this thread is supposed to be about true facts, I thought I ought to correct the most obvious mistakes.

The first advanced civilization started in India(The Vedic Civilization of the Indus Valley Area).
    That it was Vedic is a matter of opinion - it hasn't been proven, nor is there very much evidence to demonstrate vedic-ness. Additionally, the oldest excavated bits date to about 2500 B.C., which is a little younger than the oldest pyramids.

The Indus civilisation was, however, by far the most extensive of the ancient civilisations that have been excavated to date.

The Indian language, Sanskrit, is known to be the mother of all higher langauges and it is the most flawless language in the world.
    There is precious little evidence to show that any languages other than the northern Indian languages, Sinhala, and Romani have descended from Sanskrit. In any event, what is the distinction between a "higher" and a "lower" language? What objective criteria do you use to measure "flaws" in a language?

According to Forbes magazine, Sanskrit is the only language that is suitable to make a computer programming language.
    http://acharya.iitm.ac.in/perl_enhance.html

Algebra, trigonometry and calculus also orignated from India. Quadratic equations were used by Sridharacharya in the 11th century.
    Differential calculus, but not integral calculus.

Even today, the largest used number is Tera: 10*12( 10 to the power of 12 ).
    This is not quite true. Modern science recognises and uses Peta: 10^15; Exa: 10^18; Zetta: 10^21; Yotta: 10^24; and so on, working backwards down the Latin names for the letters of the alphabet. The largest number for which there is a name today is (as far as I am aware) the googleplex, which is 10^10^100. This is not to say that ancient Indian mathematics was not advanced in its own way (it was, and it was also clearly flawed, as I explained in another thread); but let's get our facts straight, yes?

Indias railway is the largest employer in the world. It employs over a MILLION people.
    I don't think our bloated PSUs are really something to be proud of.

The very word 'Navigation' is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH.
    It comes from the participle of the Latin "navigare". A 't' rarely transforms into a 'r', so your etymology is not very likely.

The word navy is also derived from the Sanskrit word 'Nou'.
    More correctly, from the Anglo-Saxon word "now", which is derived from the proto-Germanic cognate of the Sanskrit word.

The value of "pi" was first calculated by the Indian Mathematician Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century, which was long before the European mathematicians.
    Pythagorus lived in the 6th century BC. "Long before"?

Varanasi, also known as Benares, was called "the ancient city" when Lord Buddha visited it in 500 B.C.E, and is the oldest, continuously inhabited city in the world today.
    Ruins excavated at Damsacus show the city was settled in the 4th *millenium* BC. I am not aware of any such archeological evidence for Varanasi - could you give details, please?

Although modern images of India often show poverty and lack of development, India was the richest country on earth until the time of British invasion in the early 17th Century.
    Even at the time of independence, India was one of the world's ten biggest economies in terms of GDP. We took ourselves downhill thereafter all by ourselves, without requiring the help of the vellaikaarar.

India has never invaded any country in her last 10000 years of history.
    The Tamil Chola kings invaded and annexed Sri Lanka during the 10th century. They also fought a fierce war with the Sri Vijaya empire over trading rights with China, during the course of which they invaded and sacked several major ports in Malaya and Sumatra. This is a much celebrated war in Tamil history, and I think it's a crying shame that people outside Tamil Nadu don't read about it in their history books.

India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
    Aryabhatta seems to have been aware of the concept of zero, but he does not mention it in his treatise. The word "kha" as he uses it means position, not zero - it was not given the sense of zero until Bhaskara's commentary (if memory serves right). Brahmagupta was the first to expressly discuss the concept of zero, though he - and later Indian mathematecians - had a lot of difficulty with the concept of division by zero (which is quite understandable, given the way Indian mathematics worked in those days, and their understanding was still a good bit better than that of Fibonacci in the 13th century).

India is one of the biggest players in the international fashion arena. Buyers such as Macys, Levi's, Wrangler, etc. all flock to India for its vast array of cloths and prints.
    ...and is now in the process of being overtaken by China, thanks to inconsistent and half-baked economic policies thrust upon us by the politics of governing as a coalition.

Sanskrit is better as a programming language than other spoken langauges because it is syntactially perfect, it is the most unambiguous langauge on Earth, and it is systematically perfect.
    I must confess to being quite vexed by this claim. Both Sayana and Yaskha complain about how Sanskrit words are capable of so many meanings due to the way its root-system functions. In the Rgveda, for example, "vrka" can mean both wolf and knife, as they gleefully point out. Classical Sanskrit is relatively (but not totally) precise in its syntactical structure, and is generally (but not absolutely) lexical transparent, but that isn't the same thing as "most unambiguous" at all. Several other languages (such as Tamil) display both.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Facts: Did you know that ?

1) Did you know that' Tongue' is the strongest 'muscle' in your body

2) Did you know 'Honda' makes the 'most Engines ' in the world? around 14 millions engines a day ranging from cars, bikes, boats to air planes

3) Did you know if you spread your small intestine, it streches up to 25 feet

4) Did you know that 'Toyota' are the world's largest automobile producers?

carry on .....
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    5) Did you know thatch 'Tiger' is a lone 'hunter', he hunts alone, while 'Lions' hunt in groups

6) Did you know that 'Lions' suffocates the prey by squeezing the prey's neck for 10 secs, while 'Tiger' kills the pre instantly by biting on the neck and parallelising the prey by cracking the spine?
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    "அன்பே சிவம்.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast