Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

RR (@ prox*) on: Sat Apr 24 23:25:47

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Chandra (@ viki*) on: Mon May 24 14:42:39

Does any one know what the ragam in which the "mincaarak kanaa" song in padaiyappa is sung?

Post Thanks / Like

Shyam Laxminarayan (@ nand*) on: Sun Jul 18 04:43:49

Hi
    I recently bought 3 tapes of Dr.Balamuralikrishna and would like to offer my opinions about them.
    1. Thyagaraja Krithis 6ECDB580 sangeetha
    A.Kanyakumari violin Thiruvarur Bhakthavathsalam-Mridangam.

The tape as can be said of many Sangeetha recordings is of superlative audio quality. The artiste starts out with kanugonu in Nayaki, the song is brisk and is sung with clarity and bhava.
    This is followed by a long but enjoyable Shankarabharanam alapanai by Balamurali and an excellent one by Kanyakumari. This is followed by Emi neramu which is excellent.
    Side B starts out with a rare Jingala krithi Anathudanu Gaanu which is not as enjoyable as the others before but is not bad. This is followed by a beautiful Arabhi alapanai, but too long though. Kanyakumari violin is most impressive here short and sweet. The song is Naa Moralanu vini, another rare krithi, not a fast number and not as beautiful as O Rajeevaksha.
    Overall the tape was worth it at least for Side A.
    2. Thyagaraja Krithis 6 ECDB 584 Sangeetha
    Raghavendra Rao violin and M.Balachandran mridangam
    The tape quality is immaculate, and starts out with a brief very enjoyable Harikambodhi alapanai followed by Rama Nannu Brovara which is rendered with lot of bhava, and correct saahitya chedhas. This is followed by an awesome Thodi alapanai, the best I have heard. The song is Yemi Chesithey nemi which is rendered inexplicably well. The other side features a brief Tanamidane in the raga Bhushavali (another rare krithi). The last song is simply superb and is another rare krithi in Surutti titled Ramachandra Nee daya.
    Bhakthi Bhavam in this tape is just superfluous and is definitely worth purchasing.
    3. Vocal 6 ECDB 516 Sangeetha
    Sundaresan violin and Thiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam Mridangam
    First is the famous ata thala Bairavi raga varnam by Adippayya Viriboni. Its rendered at a slow pace and leisurely and is thoroughly enjoyable. Next is the famous Upacharamu Cheseyvaaru in Bhairavi by Thyagarajar. The artist chooses the phrase " Vaakithane padilamuga vaathathmajudunnadani" for excposition and does it very well but does not follow up with swaras, which was a little disappointing to me. On the other side are the two Panthuvarali krithis Ninne nera namminanu ra and Raghuvara nannu marava thaguna. The most pleasing is the fact that Balamurali sings the entire song without editing some of the charanam passages like the others do. They are sung very well, but again no swaras and exposition. But overall a great rendition.

Post Thanks / Like

GV (@ d49-*) on: Thu Jul 22 23:51:06

Post Thanks / Like

RR (@ prox*) on: Fri Jul 23 06:11:16

Thanks, GV. Usually I read Hindu cassette reviews to know about the list of songs & ragas. The reviews are generally wonderful-great-excellent types. So, I'm interested to know if R. Tyagarajan is really that good. (I'm a fan of Ramani) Any concert experiences?

Post Thanks / Like

GV (@ d187*) on: Fri Jul 23 07:01:53

RR: I'm also a big fan of Ramani, and have been to a few of his concerts in India as well as one in Canada. I don't know whether Tyagarajan is doing concerts yet. The reviewer thinks he is good. I'm trying to get a cassette to find out!!

Post Thanks / Like

Diwakar (@ 206.*) on: Mon Nov 1 20:24:09

This is a review of an old cassette by BMK - Krithis in Kalyani Raga.

It starts with the Adi Tala varnam and it has the BMK stamp - with his 'Sa ri ni sa ni da ni Sa ni da pa ma ga ri' once and 'Sa ri ni sa ni da ni Ni ni da pa ma ga ri' later.

The second krithi is his own composition - Gati Neeve. Short and sweet krithi, well rendered.

Sogasu Nee sommu - another BMK composition - completes the first side. This Kalyani is very different from the ones normally heard.

Side 'B' is devoted to Sundari Nee Divya rupamu. BMK has excelled in the raga alapana and meets his match in M.S. Anantharaman on the violin. But the highlight is the rendition of the krithi itself. Awesome! The accompaniment of MSA and Srimushnam Raja Rao on the mridangam embellishes the vocals.

In my opinion, a must listen!

Post Thanks / Like

RR (@ qt-c*) on: Tue Nov 2 04:37:25

I have not listened to this cassette, but isn't this collection (all kalyani) an overkill?

Post Thanks / Like

Diwakar (@ 206.*) on: Tue Nov 2 15:01:45

Overkill is the name of the game RR . But serioulsy, it is enjoyable because BMK has presented Kalyani in different ways in each essay.Of course, a song a day will make for better listening pleasure

Post Thanks / Like

Vasu (@ 243.*) on: Tue Nov 2 18:51:15

RR, Diwakar:
    I have that in CD. the first is 'vanajakshiro' varnam. even though all are in kalyani it didnt bore me at all. Another such - i have cassette by BMK in Shanmukhapriya: Marivere, Vaddene, Vallinayakane and Sadaya manasa. I have listened to it 20-25 times continuously still aint bored (probably because of the raga itself!!). Fantastic rendering. I would highly recommend this cassette to anyone.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast