Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. "Get the job done" Mano

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. "Get the job done" Mano

The 80s was the year of the giant trio, SPB, Malaysia Vasudevan and KJ Jesudass, as far as singing is concerned in TFI. But quietly, behind their gigantic shadows (not helped by the fact SPB was there), grew Mano (original name Nagoor Babu).

Read here and here on his background and stuff.

Mano is not as great as SPB, nor can he stake Carnatic credibility ala K.J. Jesudass and no way his voice can be immediately associated with the likes of NT AND Rajini like the late Malaysia Vasudevan is remembered. Maybe Ramarajan, but what the heck.

When Vasudevan was exhausted for singing for Rajini, they got Mano in and the man did justice. Of course, who can forget the Ramarajan/IR flicks where it’s okay to watch the movie with your eyes closed, except when Annan and Senthil appears.

So he gets the job done. He’s the courteous delivery boy. He is the Sous Chef. He is the Luca Brassi of TFI, except he didn’t sleep with the fishes. Here’s one I get to sing back in my school days when someone bigger hijacked the SPB song (yes, I could do the "silusilu" part):

Oh, Raghu (Paramu), you are banned from here, unless you have something nice to say about Mano.

" நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant use of Vasudevan's voice for Rajini, not that he was too exhausted to sing for Rajini. Eppadi venumnaalum eduttukongga.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    Oh, Raghu (Paramu), you are banned from here, unless you have something nice to say about Mano.
    i like that
    Sach is Life..

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    I have nothing against him personnaly, but he has suthapified most of IR songs (eg the song you have posted above), he tried to imitate SPB with all SPB gimmicks (laugh, Cry, giggle...etc etc all) . He was OK under ARR, for the likes of Muqala mugabula / dila dilana etc etc. but he has no Originality, simply another SPB wannabe! (can you blame him though )

BTW enakum paada konjum theriyum, I am a stage singer. Hence I can identify Mano's limitations.

BTW , I met him in London, in a restaurant called " Banana Leaves, Tooting" . He was a friendly guy, paatha oru nadamadum Jewellery shop range ku chains / rings pottu irunthar
    Last edited by PARAMASHIVAN; 15th June 2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant professionally, Raghu.

I am huge SPB fan, you know, but I don't see Mano consciously mimicking him. That's his own damned voice and those are Ilayaraja songs where improvisation like that tend to occur.

I didn't like it when 90s onwards he was known as the Muqabula guy, and doing that yoddle routine in all those Karthick comedies. He's a damned good melody singer. I think of recent, he did one beautiful song in Kathal Virus - maranthupaghu..

Anyway, a banana leaf meal is not complete without uruga. So you are welcomed

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    grouse....

oh kaadhalae... unakkor kadidham...
    uyirai.. uyiraal varaindhaen idhilum..

this is the last mano song i liked too, i remember.
    Sach is Life..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love Mano Voice toooooooooooo

1. Oh Unnalae naan pen ananae - En Arugil Nee irundhal - Mano and Uma Ramanan

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.ph...R00132&lang=en

2. Endhan vaazhikaiyin artham solla - Chinna Kannama

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.ph...R00089&lang=en

Lovely bhavam of Parenthood.
    Usha Sankar

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mano is a definitely a good singer. One song immediately comes to my mind is 'Nee oru Kaadhal sangeetham' and 'thenmozhi' (is this his first song?). Clearly shows his talent.
    Another soundtrack which he did enough justice was for 'Idhayathai Thirudaahthe' eventhough I only listen to Telugu version of SPB.

Senior Member Senior Hubber mexicomeat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Mano is a definitely a good singer. One song immediately comes to my mind is 'Nee oru Kaadhal sangeetham' and 'thenmozhi' (is this his first song?). Clearly shows his talent.
    Another soundtrack which he did enough justice was for 'Idhayathai Thirudaahthe' eventhough I only listen to Telugu version of SPB.
    pandian songs - all songs by mano
    http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000578.html
    இலக்கியத்தில் நான் வண்ண தமிழ் மழலைக்கு பாலூட்டும் தாய்
    சினிமாவில் விட்டெரியும் காசுக்கு வாலாட்டும் நாய்

-Vaali

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mano's voice is not that bad. Anbe neeyenna from Pandian is a frequent song I listen to.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast