Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dindukal I.Liyoni

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R View Post

He represents a strong anti-intellectualism, a bane of Tamil public discourse. Not only do they represent a lack of knowledge but the audacity to ridicule it. He is a posterboy for the 'arrogance of the ignorant'.
    I disagree here completely. I don't see any indications of this behavior in his pattimandrams.

On the lack of debate, this is a general problem for even veterans due to the same topics getting repeated all the time. This has given way to programs like Neeya Naana. Even there, people get bored over a point. Once in a while, you would see a good debate on a nice topic. I have seen Leoni balancing both the sides during the debate similar to how others like Sathyaseelan, Papaiya have done over the years. I haven't seen him favoring one side because they have strong points to argue. Again, I would blame this to the quality of the topic taken for discussion and the quality of the speakers. Even in Paapaya pattimandrams, if you ignora Raja you wouldn't really see a debate.

He democritized pattimandrams the same way T20 democritized cricket - by keeping the trappings and completely removing the essence. By descending to the lowest common denominator and ensuring they stay s. By assuring them that ignorance is nothing to be ashamed about. That knowledge and intellectual effort is to be mocked and derided at.
    Again, I disagree. I haven't seen Leoni or his speakers taking a shot at the intellectual effort. Infact, the popular speaker in Leoni's debates is from the "Murpokku ezuthalar sangam". I have seen him debating with points that even Papayya's pattimandrams don't touch.

He gives the illusion to the listener that he has also participated in some though exercise. Can you imagine the mind that seriously considers ANY of the debater's points as persuasive arguments leading to somewhere.
    CAn you please throw more light on this? I don't get it at all.

He was funny - adhu vERa department. He was funny in the late 90s. Used to devour his tapes. But IMO he has largely lost it.
    I agree that he was more funny and he is slowly losing it. However, it is not that bad. Still I am able to listen to the entire debate.

His popularity is symptomatic of our celebration of philistinism. idhellAm Charu Nivedhita sariyA dhaan thitturaapla-nu solluvEn.
    Onnum puriyala. Ithellam ethukku inga varuthunnu therla
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    நீங்க அவரோட நிறைய நிகழ்ச்சிகளை பார்க்கல எனத் தெரிகிறது. முக்கிய விஷயங்களை வைத்து (அதாவது சாலமன் பாப்பையா பங்கெடுக்கிற பட்டிமன்றங்களின் தரத்தை ஒப்பிடுகையில்) லியோனியோட தலைமையில் நிறைய பட்டி மன்றங்கள்/ நகைச்சுவை மன்றங்கள் நடந்து கொண்டுதான் இருக்கின்றன. லியோனியின் பெரிய பலமே அவருக்கு சரி நிகராக உரையாடும் அவரது குழு நண்பர்கள்தான். நகைச்சுவை அட்சய பாத்திரமாக வழிந்தோடும். சாலமன் பாப்பையா கூட்டத்தின் ஒரே நம்பிக்கை நட்சத்திரம் ராஜா மட்டுமே. ராஜா நீங்கலாக பார்த்தால் வெறும் டாகுமெண்டரி படம் போல இருக்கும். பார்க்கும் கிழவர்/கிழவிகளை கிச்சு கிச்சு மூட்டி சிரிக்க வைக்க சாலமர் ரொம்ப பிரயத்தனம் எடுத்து மாடுலேஷன் கொடுத்தெல்லாம் முயல்வார். அவர்களும் ஏப்பங்களுக்கு/கொட்டாவிகளுக்கு இடையே சிரித்து வைப்பர். மாறாக லியோனி மக்களோடு மக்களாக ..அவர் எந்தப் பொழுதிலும் தனித்து தெரியவே மாட்டார். அவரின் பேச்சுத் தொனி அப்படி. ஒவ்வொரு மனிதரையும் வசியப்படுத்தும் அலை நீளத்தில் ஆரம்பிக்கும் முதல் கணத்திலிருந்தே உதயமாகிவிடுவார்.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see any indications of this behavior in his pattimandrams.
    I see ONLY that.

Btw pattimanRam is a format which is exclusive to Tamil (I think). It is not incidental that it was always anchored around topics that necessitated a lot of reading and scholarship.

Do you recall the debates from our childhood which we would have seen in ulA varum oLikkadhir etc. on DD back then Devakottai kandhar sashti kazhagam, Thiruppaththur Kamban kazhagam and such. You just cannot be on stage without knowing your sEkkizhAr or kamban.

Sure there were lot of pretenders and weaklings, who would make non-sequitir points, who would even be a stronger side and end up flopping. But we could 'discern' them floundering. Not confronting the precise points of the other side. And in the course of it, the pattimandram enables varied and interestin literary readings and perspectives.

Every Saturday from 5-6, DD Podhigai is unearthing archives - many from Thiruppathur Kamban Kazhagam. I wouldn't say it always has good speakers -because it is from the late 90s, by which time the Pappiah mould had done a lot of damage. I am criticial not just because of the format, content, themes mind you. But consider what a samooga-thalaippu pattimandram enables - it affords even someone who doesn't know/ hasn't read much a stage to speak.

There is nothing conclusive that can be said about anything, isn't it? Each side can say something and earn a few laughs.
    பணமா-பாசமா, இளைஞர்களா-முதியவர்களா.. etc. It is impossible to bring any perspective of substance.

நடுவர் அவர்களே ஒரு புதுக்கவிஞன் சொன்னான்... மாதிரி anchorlessஆ தான் பேச முடியும்.
    எங்க வீட்டுக்காரம்மா சொல்லிச்சு.....னு எதையாவது சொல்ல முடியும். To generate a laugh is the max. aim of all this.

Again I have no qualms with all this. Each to his own. I have LOL'd through பழைய படமா புதிய படமா etc. where they take hilarious jibes at out cliches. But I would really resist calling him 'though provoking', 'puratchi' and what not.

It worked as a novelty, that you didn't have to bring any knowledge-reading to bear when coming to a stage. It very quickly chased away scholarly debates from the centerstage to the fringe. Most of the opportunities for speaking devolved to these topics.

I personally know two examples. A father of an acquaintance of mine. A Thiruvasagam scholar. An aunt of mine - who did her MPhil thesis on NammAzhwAr. These two were caught in the pattimandram rut of the 90s where 90% of the topics were these pointless exercises in verbiage. அவங்க தனிப்பட்ட ஆளுமைக்கும், மேடைல பேசக்கூடிய மிகக் குறுகிய, dumbed down வெளிக்கும் சம்மந்தமே இருக்காது.

Will post more in a bit.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen Leoni balancing both the sides during the debate similar to how others like Sathyaseelan, Papaiya have done over the years. I haven't seen him favoring one side because they have strong points to argue. Again, I would blame this to the quality of the topic taken for discussion and the quality of the speakers. Even in Paapaya pattimandrams, if you ignora Raja you wouldn't really see a debate.
    Oh I am en masse dismissive of Sathyaseelan, Papaiya and whoever have you. There is no question of 'debate' in the first place to balance.
    Just check out a 'debate'. Is one guy making a point at all.

கட்சி1: நடுவர் அவர்களே, இந்தக் கால இளைஞன் என்ன செய்யுறான். காலேஜுக்கு போறவன் கையில புஸ்தகமே இல்லை (சிரிப்பு) பத்து நிமிஷம் தலை சீவுறான், கடசீல கலைச்சு விட்டுர்றான் (சிரிப்பு)..'எங்கடா போற'ன்னு கேட்டேன் 'வெளிய'ங்கறான் (சிரிப்பு). 'அது தெரியுதுடா'ன்னேன் 'அப்புறம் ஏன் கேக்குற' (வெடிச்சிரிப்பு அலை). இப்படி இருக்கு நிலைமை..(திடீ சீரியஸ் - and this is what I find funny) கல்வி கற்கும் கூடத்துக்கு புத்தகமில்லாமல் செல்கிறானே...இந்த தேசம் இந்தத் தூண்களையா நம்பி இருக்கும். தேசம் தடுமாறும் நடுவர் அவர்களே.

லியோ: அருமையா பேசுனார்....பயஹ படிக்கிறாய்ங்களா...எங்க பள்ளுக்கூடத்துல ஒருத்தென் வாத்தியார் மேலையே கல்லைக்கொண்டு அடிச்சுப்புட்டான் (சிரிப்பு)...என்னடான்னு கேட்டா 'நீங்க தான சார் இளமையில் கல்-னு சொன்னீங்க 'ன்றான் (சிரிப்பலை)...

கட்சி 2: நடுவர் அவர்களே..வயசானவர்களுக்கு ஒன்றும் தெரியாது
    லியோ: அத எதுக்கு என்னய பார்த்துகிட்டு சொல்றீங்க (சிரிப்பு)
    கட்சி 2: நீங்கள் என்றும் இளைஞர்...எங்கள் கட்சி
    லியோ; யோவ்... நீ பாட்டுக்க ஏழரையை இழுத்துட்டு விட்டு போயிறாத...நான் எந்த கட்சியும் இல்லை (சிரிப்பலை)
    கட்சி 2: பய புஸ்தகம் எடுத்துட்டு போகலைன்னு அண்ணன் கோவப்படுறாப்ல...இப்பொ செல்ஃபோன்லயே பாடம் படிக்கலாம்
    லியோ: அதென்ன பாடம்? (சிரிப்பலை)
    கட்சி2: அடுத்து அண்ணன் தலை சீவுறதைப் பத்தி சொன்னாப்ல.. அவனுக்கு இருக்கு அவன் சீவுறான்
    Camera focus on வழுக்கை கட்சி 1 amid applause and laughter
    கட்சி2: ஆகவே (!) நடுவர் அவர்களே இளைஞர்கள் தான் இந்த சமூகத்தை வேகமாக முன்னெடுத்துச் செல்ல முடியும்.

From what I have seen - had the patience to see - I am not exaggerating or merely setting up a straw man.
    This is reasonably representative of the standards or arguments presented and discussed.
    If this is a debate then I am the Sultan of Brunei.

Again, I disagree. I haven't seen Leoni or his speakers taking a shot at the intellectual effort. Infact, the popular speaker in Leoni's debates is from the "Murpokku ezuthalar sangam". I have seen him debating with points that even Papayya's pattimandrams don't touch.
    A sample from one of his tapes
    இந்தியா GATT ஒப்பந்தத்தில் கையெழுத்து போட்டாச்சு. இனி பொட்டிக்கடைல வெள்ளைக்காரன் உக்காந்திருவான்
    நம்மாளு: கணேஷ் பீடி குடு
    வெள்ளக்காரன்: What பீடி?
    நம்மாளு: வாத்து பீடி இல்லைய்யா கணேஷ்..கணேஷ்..elephant trumpet noises (crowd in splits)

Again I am NOT talking about the laughter quotient, the intellectual quotient. And of course he distances himself from the 'pursuit of knowledge' in order to comfort the audience that he is 'one of them' and of course he jibes intellectualism directly too.

Here's JeMo's take on him http://www.jeyamohan.in/?p=16756

சுருளிராஜன், தீப்பொறி ஆறுமுகம் கலவை. அது மிக வெற்றிகரமாக தமிழ்நாட்டை வலம் வருவதற்கான காரணங்கள் பல இருக்கலாம். முக்கியமானது முழுமையான அறியாமை மட்டுமே அளிக்கும் அவரது தன்னம்பிக்கை .

அறிவார்ந்தது, முக்கியமானது, பிரபலமானது எனக் கருதப்படும் விஷயங்களையெல்லாம் திண்டுக்கல் லியோனி தூக்கிப் போட்டு உடைக்கும் போது பாமரத் தமிழ் மனம் மகிழ்ச்சி அடைகிறது.

லியோனி அவ்வுரையில் பெரிய புராணத்தை நக்கல் செய்கிறார் .ஒரு கிராமத்துக்கு அவர்கள் குழு சென்று ‘உலகெலாம் உணர்ந்தோதற்கரியவன் … ‘ என்று பாட , உள்ளூர் விவசாயிகள் ‘ ‘அய்யா என்ன பாடுறீங்க? ‘ என்று கேட்கிறார்கள். ‘ ‘பெரிய புராணம் ‘ ‘ என்கிறார் இவர். ‘எங்க புராணம் தான் பெரிய புராணமா கெடக்கே. சினிமாப் பாட்டு எதாவது பாடுங்க ‘ என்கிறார்கள். அப்படித் தான் இவர்கள் ‘எளிய மக்களிடையே’ இறங்கி வந்தார்களாம்.
    CAn you please throw more light on this? I don't get it at all.
    JeMo has made the point better in the quote above.
    It caters to the intellectually lazy audience and gives them a sense of participation. Like the face-painting six-hollerer who doesn't know squat about the aesthetics of cricket feeling a nice glow of inclusion when watching T20. Like he too has somehow breached the preserve of the elite, somehow bypassing the pesky prerequisite of cultural literacy.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent writeups PR though I don't agree fully with your take on Leoni.
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I am en masse dismissive of Sathyaseelan, Papaiya and whoever have you. There is no question of 'debate' in the first place to balance.
    Just check out a 'debate'. Is one guy making a point at all.
    Though the below video is one of my least favourite debate just listen to the speech of Madhukoor Ramalingam from 30:00. He discusses on how cinema degrades women. Rape scene la heroine ah animal kaapathurathu, student killing teacher incident, tamil cinema's treatment of heroines navel etc. The below quote you wrote is just used in bits and pieces here and there to evoke laughter before going to the main discussion. So, I disagree that there "no debate" at all. It is there

Even if you listen to leoni in the above video, he starts of with quotes from the literature (Bharathiyar, Bharathidasan etc) and starts the discussion in a nice way.

From what I have seen - had the patience to see - I am not exaggerating or merely setting up a straw man.
    This is reasonably representative of the standards or arguments presented and discussed.
    If this is a debate then I am the Sultan of Brunei.
    I know lot of people want a heavy weight debate with points discussed in detail "soaking" the audience with lot of information. I have listened to them as well. That's not everyone's cup of tea. What Leoni did was to "convert" the traditional style with more humour and relevance to today's scenario with jokes, quotes etc. I haven't see any debate where he was "only" cracking jokes.

A sample from one of his tapes
    இந்தியா GATT ஒப்பந்தத்தில் கையெழுத்து போட்டாச்சு. இனி பொட்டிக்கடைல வெள்ளைக்காரன் உக்காந்திருவான்
    நம்மாளு: கணேஷ் பீடி குடு
    வெள்ளக்காரன்: What பீடி?
    நம்மாளு: வாத்து பீடி இல்லைய்யா கணேஷ்..கணேஷ்..elephant trumpet noises (crowd in splits)
    Hey! I think that is a nice reply to "Pottikadaila vellakaran utkanthiruvan" LOL

JeMo has made the point better in the quote above.
    I don't agree with JeMo. JeMo is making fun of Dravidian parties and even his "lot of accusations with points" are hollow. Just because JeMo had made fun of them, it doesn't make him a bad writer. Correct? Even in that case, Sathyaseelan, Nellai Kannan ellam summa puranathai puttu puttu vaipaanga

It caters to the intellectually lazy audience and gives them a sense of participation. Like the face-painting six-hollerer who doesn't know squat about the aesthetics of cricket feeling a nice glow of inclusion when watching T20. Like he too has somehow breached the preserve of the elite, somehow bypassing the pesky prerequisite of cultural literacy.
    T20 also needs skills. While it might not need what is expected for ODIs, still it needs skills. I don't think he was only focusing on making fun. Otherwise, the debate would have become boring.
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree with Prabhu about Leoni
    And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber R.Latha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    suthandhirathin perumaiyai ilaijargal unarthirukkirargalaa illaiyaa

Last edited by R.Latha; 20th August 2013 at 12:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    deepavali special 2 nov 2013

nootraandu kanda cinema sodhanayaa saathanayaa???

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast