View Poll Results: What ranks the best of King Federer's achievement (so far)

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. 16 + Counting Grandslams

3 15.00%
  • 2. 237 Continous weeks as No 1;

5 25.00%
  • 3. 23 Consecutive Grandslam semifinals (2004 Wimbledon - 2010 Australian Open)

5 25.00%
  • 4. 92-5 Win loss in the year 2006; 12 Titles ; Talk about almost total domination.

0 0%
  • 5. 44+ titles in Hard courts; 2 shy of tying all time leader Agassi.

0 0%
  • 6. 65 consecutive grass court match victories (2003 - 2008)

0 0%
  • 7. 56 consecutive hard court match victories (2005–2006)

0 0%
  • 8. 22 Grandslam Finals.

1 5.00%
  • 9. Only Player to win ATP WTF undefeated 4 times (2003, 2004, 2006, 2010).

0 0%
  • 10. The biggest of all; 5 Consecutive Wimbledons+ 5 Consecutive US Opens (Somebody defeat this feat!!)

6 30.00%
Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: An Artist on all surfaces, Mr. Effortless - Roger Federer

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tamizharasan View Post
    For example there is no way Nadal could have beaten Sampras during his era at wimbledon.
    ஒருத்தர் சொல்ற புள்ளிய வச்சிகிட்டே கோலம்போடும் கலை இது. நல்லாவே கோலம் போடுறிங்க. மதிப்பெண்கள் பத்துக்கு பத்து.

நடால் : பதினோரு கிரான்ட் ஸ்லாம் டைட்டில் (இதுல ஆறுமுறை எல்லா காலத்திலும் வெளையாடி வெற்றிபெறுவார் என்ற ஜோதிடம் கணிக்கும் ஃபெடரரை எதிர்த்து), ஐந்து ரன்னர்ஸ், ஒரு ஒலிம்பிக்.

This ongoing discussion here on single handed back end - double handed back end .. காசா பணமா.. நானும் கோலம் போடுறேன்.

Single handed back end - Sun appears in the WEST direction of sky in evening (due to cloudy atmosphere throughout the day time) - That does not mean that Sun rises from WEST.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove View Post
    Wooden racquets advantages volleying more than passing shot. What I mean here is that we still got a Borg here. How fascinating is that !
    I did get that KG. At the same time, serves would have been slower right, making the returns "easier"? Possible?

Your extension of that to this era, the emergence of an evolved "volleyer". The volley can at best be a pathoda onnu padhinonnu, perhaps (possibly more because of drops than approaches?)
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber tamizharasan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    K_G
    How well do you think Roger serve and volleyed in this match.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Generating return on the bounce ? Or to toss up and serve ?

I have played with wooden racquet, I found both straining. But you could serve it powerfully with a nice elevated toss. But returning is so frigging hard with limited head size. And the more force you apply to generate the speed, it's impossible.

Nowadays, it's far easier to return. Also forget Top spin that Nadal generates now, Borg generates with pure technique in gut strings of wooden racquets.

----------

Didn't Tsonga/Murray game in the Wimby show that serve & volleying off 1st AS WELL AS power 2nd serves could be great success. The first two sets were lost by Jo precisely for adjusting his body and returning from baseline. The success in last 2 sets that he had, was all because of the approaches. Not merely for 'drop shots'.

Did that vs Federer when he came back to win from 2 sets down.

I like Tsonga precisely for this reason. Never tamed, sacked the coach who would try to convert him in to a all-court man. Because it's insanely sophisticated in vision and intelligence to do 'bushido' s & v like Rafter/Becker, tactically. In this era especially.
    Last edited by kid-glove; 21st August 2012 at 11:23 PM.
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tharasu,

I already said no pa? It was good, on par. But look how he is able to break Pete's serve? Do you think it's because of s & v skills, or because of his fantastic passing shots? Basically, I'm turning that on its head, and pointing out Pete's fallibility. And I don't want his era repeated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyway K_G my point was just evolution. Federer would have evolved into one of the greatest serve and volleyer. Even now many experts consider him as the best volleyer ever in the game but not serve and volley. I agree that he does extremely well at the serve and volley at isolation and not when they are combined. May be you have a point here but it is his evolution responding to this era.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    ஒருத்தர் சொல்ற புள்ளிய வச்சிகிட்டே கோலம்போடும் கலை இது. நல்லாவே கோலம் போடுறிங்க. மதிப்பெண்கள் பத்துக்கு பத்து.

நடால் : பதினோரு கிரான்ட் ஸ்லாம் டைட்டில் (இதுல ஆறுமுறை எல்லா காலத்திலும் வெளையாடி வெற்றிபெறுவார் என்ற ஜோதிடம் கணிக்கும் ஃபெடரரை எதிர்த்து), ஐந்து ரன்னர்ஸ், ஒரு ஒலிம்பிக்.

This ongoing discussion here on single handed back end - double handed back end .. காசா பணமா.. நானும் கோலம் போடுறேன்.

Single handed back end - Sun appears in the WEST direction of sky in evening (due to cloudy atmosphere throughout the day time) - That does not mean that Sun rises from WEST.

ithilirundhu neengal kooRa varum karuththu?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Venki
    Totally lost on that sun west line...
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Post Thanks / Like
    He didn't evolve s & v, he's being all-courter. He's a bit like Fischer. Though I've known to be sceptic of both cases being categorized the GOAT. Heck, I even have doubts over Ali. As I do over Barca.

My point is that this conquest for Mikhail Tal (s & v) will be evolved and answered with a Garry Kasparov (enhanced/evolved s & v), when Karpov (Nadal) reigned post-Bobby Fischer (Federer).. Although Fischer-Karpov h-2-h never happened and rivalry did't materialize (it's divided who would have won, at least in Tennis, we have the answers), the analogy is valid, I think..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove View Post
    He didn't evolve s & v, he's being all-courter. He's a bit like Fischer. Though I've known to be sceptic of both cases being categorized the GOAT. Heck, I even have doubts over Ali. As I do over Barca.

My point is that this conquest for Mikhail Tal (s & v) will be evolved and answered with a Garry Kasparov (enhanced/evolved s & v), when Karpov (Nadal) reigned post-Bobby Fischer (Federer).. Although Fischer-Karpov h-2-h never happened and rivalry did't materialize (it's divided who would have won, at least in Tennis, we have the answers), the analogy is valid, I think..
    sari vidunga. I understand your point here.

Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast