Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Jacques Kallis Appreciation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    oru padmabooshaNai-vai kuduththu retire paNNi vidungappA.
    romba nerungi varaan.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber 19thmay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jacques Kallis to donate to Yuvraj Singh Foundation

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...dation_1658934

Kallis said he would like to make a contribution to Yuvraj Singh’s Foundation. “I would like to announce that I will be making a personal donation to the Yuvraj Singh Foundation. As we all know, Yuvraj is going through a difficult time at the moment battling a serious illness and I went through a similar experience when my own father died of cancer at a relatively young age,” Kallis said. He hoped the South African side would wish him speedy recovery. “I am sure the entire Proteas’ squad and indeed the Cricket South Africa family joins me in wishing him a speedy recovery,” Kallis remarked.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber wizzy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kallis unconvinced by ball-tracking technology

How accurate it is, I don't know. Have decisions improved? I think they have but we have got to accept that there are probably one or two that, as cricketers, we will think 'I'm not so sure', but maybe that's an improvement on absolute shockers which is what you wanted to take out of the game. We are getting that right to a degree but I am not convinced how accurate it really is."
    It is instances like these, where the predicted path differs vastly from what is expected that has caused "plenty" of members of the South African team to be concerned about the system. "Sometimes when it hits the batter and you think that's close and it ends up being a long way away or vice versa," Kallis said. "I don't think there are any guys that are 100% sure that that thing is as accurate as they want to make it out to be. They keep saying it but I'm not so sure and I think 99% of cricketers will say that."
    South Africa, including Kallis, accept the system as it stands but Kallis said he believes the players should be allowed to speak their minds about the DRS. "We are still allowed our opinion as cricketers and we are still allowed to say how we feel sometimes decisions go."
    Kallis also had a suggestion to improve the system. "Maybe what they can do is have the review system that shows where it pitched and where it hits and let the third umpire make the call from there so you still give benefit of the doubt to the batter," he said, stressing that the need for the on-field umpires is still there despite the technology at the game's disposal.

"You don't want to take the umpires' job away but you do want the right decision. The predicted path, for me, is the worry. The Snickometer and Hot Spot and everything else is pretty decent."

Virtual Eye creator Ian Taylor has this to say

Taylor revealed that initially even he did not want to use it when DRS was first proposed. "We were opposed to using the technology for DRS. We didn't think a tool that was made for television should decide the results of matches," he said. "When DRS was proposed, the first thing we said was not to use the predictive path."
    Dave Richardson aka Hawkeye's suitcase case

"We [the ICC] are 100% satisfied that the ball-tracking provided as accurate a result as could have been achieved and the correct result." He said. "As far as we're concerned, the majority of players are in favour of using DRS with the technology used."

The ICC continues to face questions on the implementation of the DRS, with ball-tracking being the most concentrated target of skepticism over the system. Richardson said continued monitoring has satisfied the ICC that it is as precise as it needs to be. "We've been assessing or reviewing those ball-trackings on a continuous basis for the last three or four years and are confident in saying they are more than 97% reliable, and are accurate to the degree of accuracy that is required," Richardson said.
    Last edited by wizzy; 11th March 2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Gaana Kalaadhara Gandharva Gaana Lola Kaliyuga Gaana Thilaga
    Nadha Brahma Kochchappa Brother Seshappa

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    When SRT said the same, English media had a laugh at him by alleging small-mindedly at every possible opportunity that he is afraid that big-player immunity granted to him by fawning umpires(WHAT A JOKE THAT IS, BY ITSELF! But then that's the nature of Englishmen and Anglo_Saxons - ace the system, perform thagidu thatoms for their benefit, and then quietly spread rumours that the opponent is doing thagidu thathoms*) when he is opposing DRS. Let's see what they have to say now.
    * Guardian Correspondent Mike Selvey is particularly guilty of this - and many other potshots at Tendulkar like implyinh he lords over Indian Cricket and it is his selfishness that is preventing youngsters from being blooded etc; - I hope he gets eaten by bears like the children that mocked at Prophet Elisha(Or some name like that)

Post Thanks / Like
    #43 and that too in England, take that!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    for his 43rd Test Ton. Serious contender for Sachin's record in tests

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    19th - rejoice when you can. nesstu testlErundhu greentop. Kallis kadhai kandhal. Maybe tomorrow second innings protea collapselaiyE aNNAnukku starring role kedaichAlum kedaikkalAM

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R View Post
    oru padmabooshaNai-vai kuduththu retire paNNi vidungappA.
    romba nerungi varaan.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    19th - rejoice when you can. nesstu testlErundhu greentop. Kallis kadhai kandhal. Maybe tomorrow second innings protea collapselaiyE aNNAnukku starring role kedaichAlum kedaikkalAM
    Indha series paarunga, pul veli-ya irundhalum, NH-a irundhalum summa gun maadhri nippapla. Probably his last tour to England.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast