Page 102 of 397 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 3966

Thread: Kugan's Kitchen Part 6

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Kongunadu tomata curry/thakkali kuzhambu (dev)

This is a very easy n tasty kuzhambu made in kongu region... Goes very well with idli,dosai and even rice...

Kongunadu tomata curry/thakkali kuzhambu

Saute A and B separately in lil oil in the following order and grind A and B together to a smooth paste:

A:
    Kadalai paruppu(split channa dal) - 2 tbsp
    Coriander seeds-1 1/2 tbsp
    jeera-1/2 tbsp
    dry red chillies -2 or to taste
    peppercorns-15 or -20
    fennugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
    B:
    garlic- 2 L
    tomato- 2 M
    Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
    shredded coconut-from 1/2 a M.coconut
    Turmeric-1/2 tsp
    salt-about 1 1/2 tsp or to taste

needn't saute coconut much. Just give a good mix and switch off flame.

Heat oil. Splutter mustard,curry leaves, 2 dry chillies.
    Add 1 onion cut into strips. Saute till transparent.
    Add 1 tomato cut into medium strips.Saute till raw smell goes off(just abt a min or 2). It should still retain the shape.
    Add in the paste and saute for a minute.
    Add required water and cook for 5-7 minutes or till nice and flavorful. The curry should neither thick nor too watery.
    Take off flame. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
    Serve with idli/dosai.

Note:

You can add pottu kadalai aka pori kadalai aka chutnney kadalai instead of kadalai paruppu. In that case, add the dhal along with onions.
    You can also use a mix of both dhals.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber chevy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heylo!! .I'm obvsly a novice in cooking/baking/etc but I had a coupla doubts:

Not sure which thread to ask them in so posted here!

1)Whts the purpose of egg/oil/milk in a cake? That is what am I to expect if I add too much/less eggs/oil/milk in a cake batter.

2)Sometimes cakes rise up and break on top. How to prevent the cake from cracking?

3) Some times the cake is not baked in the middle. Should I bake it more or leave it to cool, then it ll cook in the cake heat itself?
    I remember once when the cake was runny inside, I baked it more and the whole cake was a big slab of stone. Another time I just let it cool and it set into a moist cake.

4) What is cream of tartar?! It sounds like something they use to make roads!

5) What does almond extract do to a cake? How different is it from almond essence?

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried Icing with just egg whites? I haven't yet and was wondering if it'll taste too raw-eggy? :S

Like this one -

"3 oz. of egg whites
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    4 cups powdered sugar

In large bowl of stand mixer combine the egg whites and vanilla and beat until frothy. Add confectioners' sugar gradually and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny. Turn speed up to high and beat until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks. This should take approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add food coloring, if desired.
    This will make you about 3 1/2 cups of icing."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vegetable Biriyani another version (nov)

Quote Originally Posted by suvai
    Vegetable Biriyani another version ( nov )

Here is another version of Vegetarian Biriyani from Nov ngov.....I have not tried it....but the proportions looks good & I will try it soon.....neengalum try pannunga.....cant upload the picture but it looks really good too.

Assorted vegetables-2 cups
    Onion-3 big
    Ginger-Garlic-2 tspn
    Tomatoes-2 small
    Garam masala- 1 tspn
    Turmeric powder-1/2 tspn
    Chilly powder-1/2 tspn
    Coriander powder-1-1 1/4 tspn
    Green chillies-5-8 (as hot as you like it)
    Grated coconut-1/2 cup
    Cashew nuts soaked in water-4-6
    Curd-1/2 cup
    Mint leaves-1/4 cup
    Coriander leaves-1/2 cup
    Salt to taste
    Basmati Rice- 2 cups

In a mixer,fine grind coconut and cashew nuts.
    Heat oil in a pan and add cut onions.When they turn golden brown,add ginger-garlic (crushed or paste).Saute for few minutes until the raw smell is gone or until they start turning brown.Now add split green chillies.Add vegetables.Add coconut -cashew paste and saute for few minutes until the gravy thickens and the raw smell of coconut is gone.Now add all spices-garam masala,turmeric powder,chilly powder,coriander powder.Saute again for 2-3minutes.Now add diced tomatoes,curd,coriander leaves and mint leaves.Keep stirring carefully.Add salt according to taste.Add 3 1/2 cups of water.When it comes to boil,add washed basmati rice and cook on low heat.Add little ghee and serve hot with curd salad and Pappad..mmm…Pickle too is unavoidable..

Tried this with slight mods- sans the mint leaves and sautéed some jeera as well.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dev,

Thanks for the kadalai kulambu recipe.thanks for the link too.

Thanks for the thakkali kulambu recipe too.

can we have this kulambu chappatti dev?
    Thanks
    Aarthii
    First say to yourself what you would be;
    and then do what you have to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aarthii,

You can have the kadalai kuzhambu with chapathi. It suits appam and I guess idiyappam too. But for rice, not that great. I guess adding coconut milk instead of coconut paste will make it more suitable for rice.

Thakkali kuzhambu- I have not tried it with chapathi. But I guess it should be just abt ok. Best for idli,dosai only.
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Chevy, I'll tell u whatever I know. I might be wrong as I too am nnot an expert inn baking.

1)Whts the purpose of egg/oil/milk in a cake? That is what am I to expect if I add too much/less eggs/oil/milk in a cake batter.

Egg- for fluffiness. If u add too much eggs, the cake might smell eggy but I don't see any other issue. Ex:Chiffon cakes are made with lots a eggs.

Oil- to keep the egg moist. f u add too lil oil, the cake will feel very dry while u eat it. too much oil will make the cake too oily.:P

Mlk- I am not sure

2)Sometimes cakes rise up and break on top. How to prevent the cake from cracking?

You should adjust the qty of baking pwd/baking soda. that helps.

3) Some times the cake is not baked in the middle. Should I bake it more or leave it to cool, then it ll cook in the cake heat itself?
    I remember once when the cake was runny inside, I baked it more and the whole cake was a big slab of stone. Another time I just let it cool and it set into a moist cake.

You should try baking at a slightly lower temperature for longer time. It varies from oven to oven. Try reducing the temp by 10 deg and increase baking time by about 10 mins or so.

No idea

5) What does almond extract do to a cake? How different is it from almond essence?

No idea

As for Icing with just egg whites, it won't smell eggy. Though I have not tried making it myself, I've had cakes with egg white icing. But I don't prefer this icing coz of raw eggs. The few times I had I din't knw it was raw egg whites... had I known, I wouldn't have touched it.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

CHICKEN WHITE KURMA (GULABJAMUN)

Nice to see so many recipes. I am sure kugan will feel very happy to see the thread.
    I am not an expert in cooking. I will post the recipe that we cook in our house.

CHICKEN WHITE KURMA

Ingredients:

Chicken ½ kilo
    Onions sliced 100 grms
    Tomato sliced 100 grms
    Slit green chillies 4
    Curds 1 cup
    Coconut 1 cup
    Kasakasa 2 tsp
    Cashew nuts 4
    Ginger about ½ inch
    Garlic 4 pallu
    Oil 2 tbs
    Cinnamon stick 2
    Cloves 2
    Salt to taste

Method:
    Cut and clean the chicken pieces.
    Grind the coconut, kasakasa, cashew nuts, ginger, and garlic.

Heat a kadai with oil, add in the cinnamon and cloves.
    Then add in the onions, tomatoes and green chillies.
    Kindu nicely.

Now add in the chicken, curds, salt and 1 cup of water.
    Mix nicely, also add in the ground masala.

Cook till the raw smell goes, and the chicken cooked.
    Remove when the kurma thickens.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I know of cream of tartar.

Cream of tartar is is the common name for potassium hydrogen tartrate, an acid salt that has a number of uses in cooking
    Cream of tartar is best known in our kitchens for helping stabilize and give more volume to beaten egg whites. It is the acidic ingredient in some brands of baking powder. It is also used to produce a creamier texture in sugary desserts such as candy and frosting. It is used commercially in some soft drinks, candies, bakery products, gelatin desserts, and photography products. Cream of tartar can also be used to clean brass and copper cookware.

Icing made with egg whites is called royal icing.
    Cream of tartar is added to give volume to beaten eggs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    Chevy, I'll tell u whatever I know. I might be wrong as I too am nnot an expert inn baking.

Egg- for fluffiness. If u add too much eggs, the cake might smell eggy but I don't see any other issue. Ex:Chiffon cakes are made with lots a eggs.

Oil- to keep the egg moist. f u add too lil oil, the cake will feel very dry while u eat it. too much oil will make the cake too oily.:P

Mlk- I am not sure

You should adjust the qty of baking pwd/baking soda. that helps.

You should try baking at a slightly lower temperature for longer time. It varies from oven to oven. Try reducing the temp by 10 deg and increase baking time by about 10 mins or so.

No idea

No idea

As for Icing with just egg whites, it won't smell eggy. Though I have not tried making it myself, I've had cakes with egg white icing. But I don't prefer this icing coz of raw eggs. The few times I had I din't knw it was raw egg whites... had I known, I wouldn't have touched it.

Thank ya! My last cake was with the following recipe- (or so i think....)

1) 4 small eggs
    2) 3 cups flour
    3) 350 gms margarine
    4) 2 1/2 cups milk
    5) 1 tsp salt, 1tsp baking powder
    6) 2 cups cocoa unsweetened
    7) 2 cups sugar....

The output was less sweeter less moist than expected but the cake was too dry. Maybe coz I replaced margarine instead of oil that I would have used normally or too less baking powder.

Whats d diff between baking powder / baking soda?
    Don't both have sodium bi carbs?

Also while whipping fresh cream- should you do it by hand or by an electric beater. Wont the cream get too runny ...My success rate with icing is most often low....Sometimes I just have to use it like a dip with the cake. LOL.