View Poll Results: Predict Thalaivar Ponting's Run Aggregate tally in the 2010 Ashes series

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not less than 300 - thalaivar is minimum guarantee

0 0%
  • Less than 300 (i.e.) i don't know cricket

2 50.00%
  • 301-400 - average series for him

1 25.00%
  • 401-500 (i.e.) retirement? in 2014 perhaps!

0 0%
  • 501-600 (i.e.) kalakka pOvadhu yaaru? nI dhaan!

0 0%
  • 601-700 (i.e.) It's England bowling

0 0%
  • 701-800 (i.e.) i am better than sachin

0 0%
  • 801-900 - how many more runs/100s to beat sachin? thanks SA for limiting Sachin, btw

0 0%
  • 900+ Bradman pEran dA

1 25.00%
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Captain Courageous, Bradman Junior Ricky Ponting

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can Ponting do a Dravid?
    Whilst we enjoyed England’s Ashes triumph over the winter as much as any long suffering England fan, the continued demonisation of Ricky Ponting by some of our fellow supporters left us a bit non-plussed and even a little queasy.
    That’s not to say that we didn’t take some pleasure in seeing Ponting’s own struggles with the bat as the likes of Anderson and Tremlett executed their bowling plans to the Australian captain to absolute perfection.
    But our gratification was all to do with our fear and respect for Ponting as the best Australian batsman since Bradman – we’d seen him punish England attacks too many times to not be wary of his talent.
    However, we got the impression that the attitude of some England fans to Ponting bordered on hatred rather than fear and we found that a little bit disappointing and worryingly similar to the neanderthal behaviour exhibited by some of those that follow football.
    Whilst Ponting’s competiveness and frustration at his own and his team’s woeful performances got the better of him in the unseemly row with Aleem Dar in the Boxing Day Test at the MCG, we couldn’t help but be impressed with the way he continued to front up to the cameras as the chasm between the sides widened. Not many cricketers would have been as honest, forthright and low on futile excuses as Ponting.
    So, we will be willing him on to do well in the forthcoming Test series in Sri Lanka – his first since relinquishing the captaincy and wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a similar Indian summer in the autumn of his career to that of Sachin Tendulkar and now also Rahul Dravid.
    It has been reported recently that on Australia’s brief tour to India last autumn, Ponting encouraged Dravid to forget his poor form and put any thoughts of retirement to the back of his mind. Since then Dravid has embarked on a golden run that of course culminated in his quite brilliant solo performances in England this summer.
    It would therefore be almost perfect symmetry for Ponting to do something similar and show the world once again the master batsman he undoubtedly is. Lest it not be forgotten, Ponting is the third highest run scorer in Test history (Dravid having gone past him this summer).
    With the cares of the captaincy cast aside (his decline with the bat mirrored the downturn in Australia’s fortunes), who would bet against him providing a lead to the younger batsmen and inspiring Australia on the long road to recovering its status within the ultimate form of the game?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ricky Ponting becomes the only player in cricket history to have played in 100 Test Match wins. An exemplary achievement and a model for other teams to emulate Australia and its most accomplished player of the last two decades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ponting already has the records of more Test and one-day victories as captain.

Not surprisingly, the top eight players on the list of Test victories are Australians, the Courier Mail reports.

The 36-year-old is followed by Shane Warne (92), Steve Waugh (86), Glenn McGrath (84), Adam Gilchrist (73), Mark Waugh (72), Matthew Hayden (71) and Justin Langer (70).

Post Thanks / Like
    What a team. Once in a lifetime ofcourse next only to the Windies but still I believe this team can stand shoulder to shoulder to them too, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thalaivar doled out drinks when he was injured during the 2nd test against Aus in 2004. I am not aware of other instances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Ricky the waterboy

Ricky is doing everything to please the Cricketing Gods. See this:

I cant imagine a senior Indian batsman doing this. VVS, anyone?

Senior Pro, pass on intelligence. Another box ticked!

!!!! What humility! He'll field bat-pad!

Surely, the Cricketing Gods will reward him for this humility now?

EnglandukkedhiRA konjam nambikkai varudhu. Hope he is not left alone like Dravid when he plays England in the Ashes next. Clarke and others should complement him to take the fight to England.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    worryingly similar to the neanderthal behaviour exhibited by some of those that follow football.
    idhellAm thEvai illaama vambukku izhukkuRadhu

Aleem Dar-ai ketta vaarthaila thittunadhu ellAm low emphasis point, thing of the past aayiruchu. MakkaL, mannikkira mood-la irukkAnga.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, yes. Rickykku cutouttu Stuart Broadukku getouttu

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021