Page 85 of 401 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason, the reply with quote is not working on my browser. So I need to cut and paste. Here is what Maddy said:

"i do agree that thalaivar doesent score for every window, car door open shots etc in a movie.....he goes with the general mood of the film(using song's tunes in BGM) and sometimes goes conveniently silent on some of the scenes - short circuting the whole tedium of scoring for repeated cliches........but many of AR's BGM works like RangdeBasanti, Rockstar are a complete 180 degree turn from the IR's or any other indian composers way of scoring BGM......"

And neither do the good MDs. They too don't score for every car door open shots etc. And yes, silence is an integral part of Raja's BGM. He knows when to be silent and when to score. And yes, some of the Rahman scores may be 180 degree turn from other composers but just being 180 degrees away is not enough. My question is, is it effective in the context of the movie? I haven't seen both the movies you mentioned so I cannot comment. In the movies I did see, like Jodha Akbar, Kizhakku Seemaiyile the BGM was not at all effective in the context of the movie. It did nothing to many of the scenes. In some movies like 'Ravan' I actually laughed out in the theater as I found the BGM very inappropriate in many places.

I don't have the patience to sit and watch 'Ravan' again to give you the exact scene but I do remember a scene from 'Zubeida'. The grandson wants to find his mother's dairies which his grandmother has locked in a cupboard. So he goes to steal them from his own house. It is an emotional scene but Rahman gives music as if it is part of a thriller movie!!! 180 degree turn alright, but appropriate?

" even the stories/performances need to be customised"
    Maybe even the BGM

"AR is a legend in bollywood"
    No one would dispute it and in my opinion it has everything to do with his song making skills, not his BGM skills.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Havent watched Kadhalikku mariyadhai or Doli sajake Rakhna - so can't comment.

But personally, I like Raaja's BGMs more. I think they very well underline the moment there, on the screen. And ARR, i think, uses the western classical approach (not to be confused with western classical music) of having one governing theme music and then altering them to various moods. The central idea might be common but various versions are built around the central piece, with variations in tune and instruments. I might be wrong too.. I am merely guessing, from some the BGMs i heard. I felt ARR's BGMs were good in some films (Dil Se, Lagaan) & sometimes unimpressive (raavan).

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    "AR is a legend in bollywood"
    No one would dispute it and in my opinion it has everything to do with his song making skills, not his BGM skills.
    Well, IMHO, I find it hard to digest for a man bagging brilliantly twin oscars and stuff to do this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lnFLK4iBcok - from 0.12s = Veera veera from Ravanan. And many more.

Its all, how you can hide and reshape it.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ரஹ்மானுக்கு பின்னணி இசை வராது என்ற கூற்றை மறுக்கிறேன். அவரோட இசை வேறொரு பரிமாணம். லகான் படமெல்லாம் பிச்சிக்கிட்டு ஓடியதற்கு இன்னொரு காரணம் பின்னணி இசையும் கூட. அதே லகான் படத்தை வேறொருவர் செய்து அந்த அளவுக்கு எலிவேட் செய்திருப்பார் என தோன்றவில்லை. ஞாபகமிருக்கிறது. இசையைப் பற்றி, படங்களைப் பற்றி எதையுமே பகிராத ஒரு நண்பன் லகான் பார்த்துவிட்டு சொன்னது "மாப்ள.. பின்னிட்டாண்டா ரஹ்மான்!.. அதுபோன்ற இசையை நான் என் வாழ்க்கையிலேயே இதுவரை கேட்டதில்லை".
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh65, i have agreed that AR "conveniently" goes silent on some of the scenes which means its not "appropriate" ......

reg ur other points of being appropriate/not appropriate & effective/ineffective, obviously, ive felt the "appropriate effect" and thats why ive quoted them............but since u've considered AR as unskilled in BGM dept, which is diametrically opposite to my view, i do not see the need to continue the arguement ......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Venkki,

Enga vandhu enna pechu pesareenga

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maddy,

Fair enough. I do concede that I hold the opposite view as far as Rahman's BGM is concered and I haven't been impressed.

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dochu View Post
    Well, IMHO, I find it hard to digest for a man bagging brilliantly twin oscars and stuff to do this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lnFLK4iBcok - from 0.12s = Veera veera from Ravanan. And many more.

Its all, how you can hide and reshape it.
    I can only laugh at this example

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber MumbaiRamki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    appa sureshmechnit ..sandhosama .. unnaa irundha makkala ippadi sanda poda vechutiye !

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    CivilA thAnE pOikittirukku Ramki? Ivangallaam irukkattum, namma rendu pErum Karthikeyan BGM paththi oru thread pOttu pEsikkuvuOmA? Ulagathuleye namma rendu pEru mattumE pEsa koodiya subject adhu