Page 83 of 401 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    suresh,
    Agreed, but you cannot assume this: 'With a stone-faced Jyothika playing the central character, even Ilaiyaraaja couldn’t have saved Doli Saja Ke Rakhna.' I can show plenty of examples. Even in the same cues which you showed, where Vijay was trying to act, but nothing comes out from him. See how he turns his face away from the camera lying on Srividya's shoulders, see how Maestro managed there. You don't go by actors acting, as long as you know what the situation is and how you go on top of those mediocre performances is what matters. I think even Rahman has done the same. I think what Bala was saying is: you have started the post as this score (or the film) is the only comparison between Raja and Rahman, but ending with 'you cannot compare both the scores as 'Jyothika is no Shalini'. I can say Vijay is no Akshay Khanna.

Somehow, I see from the whole write-up that you wanted to get convinced by Rahman's score (implying his score is no way inferior to Maestro's score, see how he has pulled out) and convinced too, good enough. I don't have any problems with that.
    ennaanga idhu.. vijay is much better than akshay thaathangov..
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sureshmehcnit View Post
    For anyone who grew listening to Ilaiyaraaja's movies, scoring for specific moments is the most obvious way of scoring background music. I realized later from A.R.Rahman's and many Hollywood scores that it is okay to go with a generic mood to deliver a perfectly right score.
    precisely - except thomas newman, john williams and the likes, no one goes for bit by bit punctuation which raaja indulges in. Avingallaam music editor enna bittu kekkararo adhai vaangi ottuvadhu illai pottu amukkuvadhunnu aagittaangappa. only we fight over this.. even JW is being sidelined by being labeled as "classical style". modern style is purely cut copy paste dhaangov.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sureshmehcnit View Post
    For anyone who grew listening to Ilaiyaraaja's movies, scoring for specific moments is the most obvious way of scoring background music. I realized later from A.R.Rahman's and many Hollywood scores that it is okay to go with a generic mood to deliver a perfectly right score.
    aana paarunga unga sentencela oru contradiction keedhu...
    scoring for specific moments dhaan perfectly right score.
    neenga solra okay to go with a generic mood is "Edho onnu".
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "படம் முழுக்க, படத்தை இன்னும் ஆழமாக ரசிக்க, நம்மை அறியாமல் ஒரு சக்தி நம்மை இயக்குகிறது. அதுதான் இளையராஜாவின் பின்னணி இசை!" This is the vikatan comment about Mahanadhi BGM. This applies for ALL the IR movies. His BGM is a guide to us. Other MD's don't do that. Even bad acting is made to be felt better, when IR's BGM is there, but that is not the case of other MD's. Be it kaathalukku mariyaathai OR Muthal mariyaathai, Only Raja gives utmost importance to BGM
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes View Post
    ennaanga idhu.. vijay is much better than akshay thaathangov..
    To be honest, I could not tolerate Vijay/Shalini's acting in that movie. Padam muzhukka avarukku enna panrathunne theriyile, especially the scenes when both are together. Any good actor won't turn his face away from camera when crying, why so much inhibition/shyness that too for a lead actor. Normal emotions ok, this film requires some subtle emotions to be shown, where these actors failed miserably. As skv told, only Maestro's BGM has to lift it above all those short-comings. In that sense Akshay didn't try to cry atleast, so didn't cause embarrassment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    To be honest, I could not tolerate Vijay/Shalini's acting in that movie. Padam muzhukka avarukku enna panrathunne theriyile, especially the scenes when both are together. Any good actor won't turn his face away from camera when crying, why so much inhibition/shyness that too for a lead actor. Normal emotions ok, this film requires some subtle emotions to be shown, where these actors failed miserably. As skv told, only Maestro's BGM has to lift it above all those short-comings. In that sense Akshay didn't try to cry atleast, so didn't cause embarrassment.
    allov. he doesnt turn away from camera - from the character.. i thought vijay did pretty well. thavira indha situatione avingalukku kaamedy panraapala irukkum..
    avinga south bombay sidelaam "pickup drop escape" - kaadhalaavadhu . maruvaadhiyaavadhu.. poippa parungappannu solluvaango.. ippallaam nammaalungalum andha theLivukku vara aarambichuttainga.. adhu vera vishayam.. kaigu padam "aambalaikkum " paattu kekkaliya neenga
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes View Post
    aana paarunga unga sentencela oru contradiction keedhu...
    scoring for specific moments dhaan perfectly right score.
    neenga solra okay to go with a generic mood is "Edho onnu".
    In my opinion, Ilaiyaraaja's is more than what is just a perfectly right score. As far as I have read on the net, Aniyathi Pravu was also a blockbuster and every one seem to have gotten engrossed and emotionally moved by the climax of the film. It didn't have Ilaiyaraaja's background score.

Ninaivellam Nithya was utter flop. No one connected with the story or the performance or the characters, even though it had in my opinion a background score filled with immortal melodies. Ilaiyaraaja's score couldn't save the film. It couldn't make the audience emotionally connect with the film. We still talk about the score because the melodies in the score were such. They took a life of their own out of the film.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    V-S - - "avaru" enna vachukittA vanjanai paNNinAru? Satti-Agappai etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Jai - good point. Also indha parental approval meme ellAm "idhellAm nAnga DDlJ-laiyE pArthuttOm"-nu rejeet paNNittAnga north indies folks. Padam edhukku hit Ach flop Achunu ellAm guess dhaan paNNa mudiyin. What is indisputable - actually feeyar will dispute - is that after hearing IR score for that movie, it is difficult to accept any other interpretation. Mehcnit hassan - ivlo dhooram pannitinga. Just be informed that the movie was remade in Telugu also. I don't remember any cast, crew details. Search paNNi solREn - adhaiyum oru dhabaa pArthduunga. Wait, don't rush it is not as easy as you might think - if I am right it starred sthithapragnyan Chakkaravarthy and Dheyyam Maheswari.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S
    Padam muzhukka avarukku enna panrathunne theriyile, especially the scenes when both are together.
    you are right - idhE kaNdi Simbu mattum irundhirundhaa...