Page 51 of 401 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plum, aakarsh, teja - great points. We all feel the disappointment and pain on reading these flimsy reasons given for not awarding SRR its due recognition. It's all the more terrible to see that the award(s) was given to a less deserving effort. At this point, the decision of repealing the Best Background Score given to "Laptop" based on technical grounds (Auditorium had audio problems) can be raised only by a Jury member. I have formally submitted an appeal letter to I&B Minister, Ambika Soni and DFF Director (contact information from DFF website). The entire Tamil film world knows that Maestro should have got atleast half dozen National Awards since 1977.

The second biggest omission is that SRR was not considered for Best Telugu Film among 18 nominations. This is ridiculous. I am expecting our political leaders (TDP and BJP) to raise this issue in AP Assembly and Parliament. Again I have shot letters/ emails to prominent TDP and BJP leaders. With ongoing fights on Telengana statehood, TDP may not raise this subject in AP Assembly. For BJP, SRR is a great cultural subject that is near and dear to everyone in the party besides striking the right chord amongst all Indians. Is SRR not worthy of a Best Regional Language film? "Vagai Sooda Vaa" and "Indian Rupee" won Best Regional film awards - SRR is much better than these two films. Let BJP members raise this valid question in Parliament. The obvious lapse should be pointed out to I&B Minister. The million dollar question is this - Why is the Telugu Film industry (MAA) not doing anything about this? Telugu Producers and Directors can sign a petition or do something. If I&B Minister revokes the award given to "Laptop", Mamta Banerjee will bring the Central government to its knees. That's how our democracy works - if you are silent, you will be trampled. "Aadukalam" won six awards last year after Sun Pictures did heavy marketing in New Delhi. Yelamanchili Sai Babu will never again produce a movie like SRR - this is very unfortunate. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Truth will eventually prevail and hard work never goes unrewarded. Let Maestro continue his work. For 2013, Prakash Raj should start marketing "Dhoni" right now - couple of awards is certain.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look - let's be practical. Truth WILL NOT eventually prevail. Most IR fans are 30+. Are you still innocent enough to believe Truth will prevail? UngaLukku vidhikkapattadhu ivLO dhaan, take the tonty fi rubees and leave, that's all. The way it unfolded - with a director who worked with him stabbing him in the back - should tell you what fate has in store for IR. I mean, the unwritten rule for national awards jury is to award any classical-based, devotional movies with best music award. Rarely have they wavered from this. Why did this happen this year? Just when IR had a sure fire devotional in his kitty? Think. That is how fate is playing it. Just watch - next year we'll have a "normal" jury that awards keeravani for sai baba movie. Ippove ipdi polambaringa? 1980sla epdi irundhirukkum?

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rajsekar,

Honestly, I am not sure if SRR is worthy of Best Regional Film award at NA? I dont say that its a bad film, but did i didnt feel that it was a great film. It was a good effort though, given the times we are living in. Thats about it. Besides, in general, the opinion in this film is divided, despite it being a commercial hit. Forget public or even the jury - just look at the opinions of the members on this forum here only. Some felt it good. Some felt it very tacky and guady. Some felt t boring. What everyone liked was Raaja's music. But as a film, the opinions are diverse. Is it not possible that the jury members also had diverse opinions? And also, the producer made the film for people, not for awards. I think he earned crores form its success and a mere Rs.5 lakh prize with a shawl is not going to encourage or discourage him from making further films. The film is a financial success and in this age of commercial mass films, that is quite an achievement for him, which alone should matter. Do you think he will again produce a film like SRR if the film flopped and yet won 2 NAs?

Jury member Satish posed an excellent question. Should there always be a "Best Telugu Film" award? - which means picking the best out of telugu films alone. Or should there be a "Best Regional Language Award" - which means picking the best out of all films in all regional languages, thus widening the competition/comparison net across all languages ? I think Satish posed this question to people to debate on... because i believe there will be more changes to the rules for NA in 2013.

And Prakash Raj's Dhoni??? again - many people had diverse opinions. Some felt it was too melodramatic. I am not sure if that would win. But we can never say! I didnt watch the film though - so no comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aakarsh, not onyl did Kirboni(that's his suggested name for bengali movies) win a NA for annamayya(yeah, the great album with annamayya kritis orchestrated worse than Srikanth Deva did for bharathiyaar songs and the one original song was the GREAT ElE ElE maradala) - he did it against Raja's Malayalam magnum-opus Guru. That was a watershed moment for me w.r.t NAs. That was the moment I realised that the awrds he got for SaagaraSangamam, RudraVeena and SindhuBhairavi were not recognition for him. It just so happened that any semi-decent+ classical related album would be easily pushed through in NA jury. Those 3 awards instantly lost currency with me. There is no external award that has recognised IR truly. Just like MSV. Enna IR got 3 coincidental NAs, which still are not recognition of his genius.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree plum!

you brought back the memories of K.Raghavendra Rao's fruity-erotica concepts, by referring to Maradalaa song So Keeravani won NA for that! ouch! (digression/ i still find it amusing that some of the raaja fans I know, rate Keeravani much higher than ARR - not that Keeravani is not talented, but i prefer his Hindi albums only and thats where he did some nice work. Thats about it. His telugu albums, barring Kshana Kshanam, are extremely disappointing and way too mass-y that I find the comparison with ARR & rating Keeravani higher than ARR to be very funny & ridiculous - but thats my opinion anyway - digression ends//).

But i still wonder. If anything with classical music wins NA, how come Swarna Kamalam missed it? And if the same trend was continuing, how come Uliyin Osai missed it? I was expecting a NA for Uliyin Osai (not because the jury really recognize the music, but by blindly following the thumb rule that it has rich classical music). As i quickly looked into wikipedia now,i see that Ousepachan won NA for Ore Kadal that year. Haven't heard Ore Kadal though. But was Uliyin Osai atleast a forerunner that year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Aakarsh, ofcourse not ANY movie with classical base. The 3 movies Raja got his award for were also strong dramatic films.I can't explain Swarna Kamalam but I have always felt Sk was a lighter film and lighter music compared to SS or SB or SankaraB or RV. Maybe that year we had a jury like this year. Uliyin Osai was a crappy movie which the jury possibly didn't sit through . And Ore Kadal was Excellent. Young Shwetha Mohan surpassed herself.

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    A raja song used in an ad video (from twttr) Myself only started liking this song more recently.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ராஜா பைத்தியங்களிலேயே ராஜபைத்தியம் நான் தான்!

எட்டு ஆண்டுகளாக செல்போனில் ஒரே ரிங் டோனை வைத்திருப்பவனை சரியான பைத்தியக்காரன் என்றே நீங்கள் அழைக்க விரும்புவீர்கள்,எனில் என்னையும் அப்படியே அழையுங்கள்.
    2003-ன் இறுதியில் ‘பிதாமகன்’ ரிலீஸாகி சில தினங்களே ஆன நிலையில், நானும் பாலாவும், காரில் அமர்ந்து பீர் குடித்த படியே, ஏற்காடு மலையேறிக்கொண்டிருந்த போதுதான், முதன்முதலாக, ‘விருமாண்டி சண்டியரை நோக்கி ,சங்கீதத்தின் ஒரே சண்டியர் ராஜா சொன்ன ’உன்ன விட இந்த உலகத்தில் ஒசந்தது ஒண்ணுமில்ல’ பாடலைக்கேட்டு கிறங்கினேன்., மலையிலிருந்து இறங்கின உடனே என் செல்போனின் ரிங்டோனாக அன்று அரியனை ஏறிய பாட்டு இன்று வரை இறங்கவில்லை.

சலங்கை ஒலி’ இது மவுனமான நேரம்...,‘நாயகன்’ நீ ஒரு காதல் சங்கீதம்...,’ புன்னகை மன்னன்’ ‘என்ன சத்தம் இந்த நேரம்?..., மவுனராகம்’ நிலாவே வா...,காத்திருக்க நேரமில்லை’ வா காத்திருக்க நேரமில்லை..., நாடோடித்தென்றல்’ ஒரு கணம் ஒரு யுகமாக..., சிப்பிக்குள் முத்து’ மனசுமயங்கும்..., சத்யா’ வளையோசை கலகலவென..... வரிசையில் நான் அந்தப்பாடலை இதுவரை ஆயிரம் முறையாவது கேட்டிருப்பேன். பாடலில் கமலுடன் நாட்டுப்புறத்தமிழில் கொஞ்சியிருந்த ஷ்ரேயா கோஷலுக்கு எனது இதயத்தின் இடது ஓரத்தில் சின்னதாக ஒரு கோயில் கூட கட்டியிருந்தேன்.’என்னவிட உன்ன சரிவரப்புரிஞ்சிக்க யாருமில்ல ...’ என்று ஷ்ரேயா எனக்காகப்பாடுவதாக நினைத்துக்கொள்வது சொல்லவொண்ணா சுகமாக இருக்கிறது.

தமிழ் நாடகத்தந்தை சங்கரதாஸ் சுவாமிகளின் பாடல்களைக் கேட்டு வளர்ந்திருந்தாலும், சின்ன வயசிலிருந்தே ராஜாவின் மீது வெறிகொண்ட ரசிகன் நான். அவருக்கு என்னைபோல் லட்சக்கணக்கில் பைத்தியங்கள் உண்டென்றாலும், ராஜா பைத்தியங்களிலேயே ராஜபைத்தியம் நான் தான் என்ற தலைமைப்பொறுப்பை என்னிடம் தயவு செய்து விட்டு விடுங்கள் . அப்படி விட்டுக்கொடுக்க நீங்கள் முன்வரும் பட்சத்தில் என் வாழ்நாள் முழுக்க,எம்.எல்.ஏ, மந்திரி, முதல் அமைச்சர், பிரதமர், அமெரிக்க பிரதமர் போன்ற எந்தப்பதவிகளுக்கும் நான் உங்களொடு போட்டியிட மாட்டேன் என்று எத்தனை ரூபாய் ஸ்டாம்ப் பேப்பரில் வேண்டுமானாலும் எழுதி கையெழுத்திடுகிறேன்.

வைரமுத்துவை எனக்குப் பிடிக்கும் அவர் இளையராஜாவுடன் இருந்தவரை. பாரதிராஜாவை எனக்குப் பிடிக்கும் அவர் படத்துக்கு ராஜா இசையமைக்கும்போது மட்டும். ‘நீ தானே என் பொன் வசந்தம்’ படம் ,ஏ.ஆர். ரகுமான்,மற்றும் ஹாரிஸ்ஜெயராஜிடமிருந்து எங்கள் ராஜா கைக்கு மாறும்போது, ‘படம் பிரமாதமா வந்துருக்காம்’ என்று சல்லி பைசா அட்வான்ஸ் வாங்காமல் மிஸ்டர் திகில் முருகன் பார்க்க வேண்டிய பி.ஆர்.ஓ. வேலையை நான் பார்க்க ஆரம்பித்துவிடுகிறேன்.

என்னைப்பொறுத்தவரை என் வாழ்வின் இனிமையான தருணங்கள் என்பவை ராஜாவின் பாடலைக் கேட்டுக்கொண்டிருந்த, கேட்டுக்கொண்டிருக்கும் தருணங்கள்தான்.இது சங்கீதம் அறிந்த அறியாத தமிழர்கள் சகலருக்கும் பொருந்தும் என்பதே என் கருத்து.

மிகவும் வறுமையான பின்னணியில் எட்டுப் பிள்ளைகளைப்பெற்று வளர்க்க, நாள்தோறும் நள்ளிரவில் தோட்டம் போய் தண்ணீர்பாய்ச்சிய என் தாய் லச்சம்மாளின் நினைவு வரும்போதெல்லாம் ‘பொன்னப்போல ஆத்தா என்னப்பெத்துப்போட்டா’ [என்னை விட்டுப்போகாதே ]பாட்டு கேட்டு அழுதிருக்கிறேன்.மனசு சரியில்லாத வேளைகளில், ‘நான் யாரு எனக்கேதும் தெரியலையே, ஆலோலம் பாடி ‘ மாதிரி பாடல்கள் கொண்டு என் கண்ணீர் துடைப்பது ராஜாவின் சுரங்கள்.ஒரு பூ மலர்வதைக்கூட சங்கீதமாகச் சொல்ல முடியும் என்று மலர்ந்த ‘வெள்ளி முளைத்தது’ [கீதவழிபாடு] கேட்டு விடிந்தது எத்தனை காலைப்பொழுதுகள் என்று சொல்லிமாளாது.

அமெரிக்கன் கல்லூரியில்* படித்துக்கொண்டிருந்தபோது, நானும் எனது நண்பர்களும். வகுப்பறைகளில் இருந்ததை விட ,கல்லூரிக்கு எதிரே இருந்த கணேஷ் டீ ஸ்டாலில் தான் அதிகம் நின்றிருப்போம்.

‘மண்வாசனை, கரையெல்லாம் செண்பகப்பூ’ நான் பாடும் பாடல், பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை,இளமைக்காலங்கள்’ என்று கேட்டு எங்களைத்திகைக்க வைப்பதையே ராஜா சலிப்பின்றி செய்து வந்தார்.கணேஷ் ஸ்டாலில் டீ கேட்பதுவும், ராஜாவின் பாட்டீ குடிப்பதுமே கல்லூரி காலங்களில் எங்களது முக்கியமான பணியாக இருந்தது.

ராஜாவை நான் முதன் முதலில் தனிப்பட்ட முறையில் சந்தித்தது, ஏ.வி.எம்.ஸ்டுடியோவில், ‘அதர்மம்’ பட பூஜை தினத்தன்று.

எனது அமெரிக்கன் கல்லூரி வகுப்புத்தோழன் ரமேஷ் என்கிற ரமேஷ்கிருஷ்ணன், அடையாறு திரைப்படக்கல்லூரியில் டைரக்ஷன் கோர்ஸ் முடித்து, அங்கேயே ஆக்டிங் கோர்ஸ் முடித்த சுரேஷ் என்பவரை தயாரிப்பாளராக அமைத்து தனது’அதர்ம ஆட்டத்தை ஆரம்பித்திருந்தான். பட நிறுவனத்தின் பெயர் ஜி.கே.ஃபிலிம்ஸ்.தயாரிப்பாளர்கள் அண்ணன் தம்பி மூன்று பேர்.ரமேஷ் மூத்தவர், சுரேஷ் நடுவர். சதீஷ் கடைக்குட்டி.

ரமேஷ் கிருஷ்ணனுடன் சேர்ந்து சந்தித்த நாலைந்து சந்திப்புகளிலேயே நான் தயாரிப்பாள சகோதரர்களிடம் மிகவும் நெருக்கமாகிவிட்டேன்.
    இந்த சமயத்தில் நான் ஆசிரியராகவும், பார்ட்னராகவும் இருந்த ‘சத்ரியன்’ அரசியல் பத்திரிகை தனது இறுதி மூச்சை நெருங்கிக்கொண்டிருந்ததால், நான் எனது பெரும்பாலான நேரங்களை டிஸ்கஷன் ,சீட்டு விளையாடுவது என்று ‘அதர்ம’ கோஷ்டிகளுடனேயே கழிக்க ஆரம்பித்திருந்தேன்.

நன்றாக நினைவிருக்கிறது. அன்று அதிகாலை.ஏ.வி.எம்மில் லேசான தூறலடித்துக்கொண்டிருக்க பூஜைக்கு சரியான நேரத்தில் ராஜா இறங்கிவர, நான் தெய்வ தரிசனம் கிடைத்ததுபோல் சிலிர்த்து நின்றேன்.

முதல்நாளே கொஞ்சம் மன ரீதியாக, ரமேஷ் உட்பட்ட டீமை நான் தயார் படுத்தியிருந்த வகையில்,ரமேஷ்கிருஷ்ணன் உட்பட படத்தில் பணியாற்ற இருந்த அத்தனை டி.எஃப்.டி.மாணவர்களும் தாங்கள் போட்டிருந்த முரட்டு ஜீன்ஸ் பேண்டையும் பொருட்படுத்தாது, பட்பட் என்று ராஜா காலில் விழுந்து நமஸ்காரம் வைத்தவுடன்’ இந்தப்படம் கண்டிப்பா நல்லா ஓடும் என்று என் மனசுக்குப் பட்டது.
    அன்று மதியமே மனோ குரலில் ‘தென்றல் காற்றே ஒன்றாய்ப் போவோமா?’ என்ற பாடலையும்,அடுத்த இரு தினங்களில் மேலும் 4 பாடல்களையும் முடித்துத்தந்த ராஜாவின் ஒவ்வொரு அசைவையும் ரமேஷை விட்டு நகராமல் கவனித்துக்கொண்டே இருந்தேன். படம் பின்னணி இசைக்குப்போனபோது,திரைக்குள் நுழைந்துகொண்ட மந்திரவாதி போலவே எனக்குத்தெரிந்தார்.

அவருள் இருக்கிற இசை என்ற ஒன்றை எடுத்து விட்டால்,ராஜா என்பவர் இருந்துகொண்டிருக்கும் இடம் வெற்றிடமாய் மாறிவிடுமோ என்று எண்ணுமளவுக்கு முழுக்க முழுக்க இசையாகமட்டுமே அவர் இருந்தார், தெரிந்தார்.

அதற்கு அப்புறம் ‘சேது’ பிதாமகன்’ சமயங்களில் பாலாவுடன் , இளையஞானி கார்த்திக்ராஜா தனக்கு மேனேஜராக இருக்கச்சொல்லி வீட்டுக்கு அழைத்தபோது என்று பலமுறை மிக நெருக்கமாக ராஜாவை நான் சந்தித்திருக்கிறேன். ஆனால் இதுவரை ஒரு வார்த்தை கூட நான் பேச நினைத்ததில்லை.

பக்தனுக்கு தெய்வத்தோடு என்ன பேச்சு வேண்டிக்கிடக்கு?
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful Discussion and excellent points Plum and aakarsh!

We used to know that Maestro's music wherever played, it absorbs you. That's why we can see many say (including our own App) that his music was popular even in buses, tea shops, barber shops. This is true for every earlier composers too. So dismissing the score just based on Mono/Stereo effect is just betraying themselves. I believe it was already decided to blanket dismiss SRR in any category. Even leave out SRR, if there are any political/personal conflicts, but what about other films which Maestro did last year, especially ASK. Jury has watched that film and gave away couple of awards too. Didn't they hear the score? If I agree they didn't have a stereo in their theatres, that's why they rejected SRR, for ASK, nothing is required of that, there is feel in everybit of score. If you are able to hear 'Laptop' without Stereo and appreciate it, why not the same could be done for ASK? Just the title score alone is enough to bag any award.

Leave out the film and score, what is the criteria for the songs. Still they need to hear the song with visuals and hear it once before deciding or they pick up the CD and listen to them separately? With visuals it should have been absorbing. Even if it is latter, the Bengali film songs does not stand even a smallest chance possible against SRR (or any IR soundtrack released last year). Also going by the thumb rule of classical music getting advantage, we are at no advantage this year, why? That was a monstrous contribuion to Indian classical/folk music with a perfect blend from the west.

If Plum's expectation shattered from Guru, mine shattered from the day when SRR/ASK was not awarded for music category. As Plum mentioned, next year will be a smooth ride for many, even if Maestro comes up with brilliant score in Dhoni/Mayilu/NEPV, as that will be ruled out against the classical music in Sai Baba or some obsure movie called 'iPad'.

<dig>
    I heard from ARR forum that rockstar was not even submitted to the jury which is even more pity compared to IR films (atleast these films were atleast played to them). I don't know why all this happening this year? I am more surprised there because it even won Film fare award.
    </dig>

Something is not right totally!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post

<dig>
    I heard from ARR forum that rockstar was not even submitted to the jury which is even more pity compared to IR films (atleast these films were atleast played to them). I don't know why all this happening this year? I am more surprised there because it even won Film fare award.
    </dig>

Something is not right totally!
    that atleast vindicates ARR, in the eyes of some raaja fans Imagine if Rockstar was submitted and jury gave award to it.. i can imagine how the blame-game would have been.. "NA awards rigged", "PR can buy even NA award" etc etc

But to get back to the point - indeed, ASK also stood a chance... i didnt listen to the complete score but the title score itself showed the promise. And I think the jury members are not musicians (or qualified musicologists) who can give an opinion on music. They are basically not subject matter expects. So, whats the point anyway