Page 49 of 401 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teja View Post
    @rajsekar
    Here's the link where he mentions the issue Mono and DTS:

I don't get it. How can they disqualify a movie, if their preview theater is not fully equipped to play latest sound. IR went all the way to Hungary to record/mix the sound.. and this is what he gets. What a pity!

Lodging a protest is fine. But I doubt if they would review the selections once again. (Unless SRR's producer takes some drastic measures)

BTW, that director Satish Kasetty sounds so arrogant in that interview. It feels like his presence did more harm to Sri Rama Rajyam.
    Pathetic state of affairs. It only proves that the govt. of India is not qualified to give an award in the first place, because they do not have the infrastructure. Not just Rama Rajyam, but any film as such.

And I dont know if Satish Kasetty is arrogant or not - cannot comment because i did not see the above interview. But it is the Same Satish Kasetty who is an ardent admirer of Raaja's music. He made a film called Hope, which had raaja's background score.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the ice has started to crack. Just today afternoon (IST), the first jury member Satish Kasetty published a long explanation on the Telugu Awards controversy on his website. He removed my comments on his blog post (copied below) and came up with this explanation. After reading his blog, he still doesn't explain why SRR lost awards in every category. How did they screen the Bengali movie "Laptop" in a DTS theatre and award Best Background score? I am hoping that TDP and BJP members raise this issue in Parliament next week. We live in a 21st Century where people's concerns and opinions are delivered to the powers in place very quickly. The electronic media is great.

Read Satish's blog post on the controversy - http://satishkasetty.com/

My blog post to Satish which was removed by him:
    Dear Satish Garu - Read your observation in postnoon website about Sri Rama Rajyam being given cold treatment by the 59th National Film Award jury members. Lot of Telugu and Tamil fans were expecting the movie to walk away with few awards in the technical category like - Best Makeup, Best Costume, Best Background Music Score and Best Music Direction (Songs). It is indeed disappointing to see that SRR wasn't even mentioned in Honorable category. I am sending a formal protest letter/ email to I&B Minister, Ambika Soni about this glaring omission. I would appreciate if you can request MAA members to bring this omission to the notice of media. SRR movie should get the due recognition that it deserves. All the artists who worked on this movie deserve this recognition from Govt. of India.

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kamal Aakarsh - Thanks a lot for your comments in Satish's blog post. I just posted my response asking some blunt questions to Satish and let's see if he will publish it. Satish moderates all the responses. If he doesn't publish it, I will copy it here. Please continue to highlight this issue to elected officials. All elected public official's email/ website from President of India to local MLA is publicly available. If they start getting loads of emails, then the ice is certainly going to melt.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    giving lame excuses itself is a proof that SRR is a NA material. Thats enuf. This time NA wasn't lucky to land on the hands of India's greatest composer.
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    rajsekar,
    Whatever may be the outcome, I really appreciate your enthusiasm and interest taken in this subject. Keep it going!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Rajsekhar,

Thanks for the link to Satish's blog. His blog post once again confirms that his presence worked against Telugu films. He's probably so overwhelmed by just being a part of the jury that he didn't do a bit to represent Telugu industry. Sample this - he says " The answer is, an actor whose voice is dubbed by other person is not eligible for an Award." (Regarding Nayantara). How would he explain National Award to Vijayasanthi for Karthvyam (Vijayanthi IPS) then? (Saritha dubbed her voice). There were more such instances after that. Even if the rule were true, there were many exceptions made to that rule in the past. Being TFI's representative, Satish should put the argument on the table for the jury and open it for discussion. But no, this man readily agree's to the rule book and chooses to not take up the cause.

I've posed this question to him in his blog. Let's see if he replies.

He says "One film had very bad Audio quality; the entire first half could not be heard.".

Apparently, this is the DTS/Mono sound issue with Sri Rama Rajyam that TV9 has exposed. Look at how conveniently he pushes the blame on to the producer! (and doesn't go into DTS/Mono details in his blog post, for the fear of backlash). As a jury member from TFI, he could have insisted on watching the film in a better equipped theater.

And finally, he says "Next, the technical awards, to this my answer is, compare with the films which got awards in these categories and debate, instead of saying we should have got one."

That sums up his opinion. With detractor like Satish representing TFI in the jury, it's not a surprise that Sri Rama Rajyam lost out to Ranjana Ami Ar Ashbona & Laptop.

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_S - Thanks for your support. Anything for our Maestro - the NA Jury has obviously given the award to a less deserving film. I'm knocking on many doors and hoping to see that some will open. On technical grounds, I&B Ministry and DFF should review the decision for Best Background Score award.
    Everyone should listen to songs from "Ranjana" and background score of "Laptop". Just compare the difference.

Thanks to Teja, the nail in the coffin for this appeal is Satish's interview in TV. As a jury member from AP and a Director who has worked with Maestro, he should have protested with other members. In the past, many jury members have walked out or openly protested against I&B Ministry's dictats and Award committe chairman's decisions. As expected my last response to Satish's blog was deleted by him - my comment is copied here:

Satish Garu – Excellent. Thank you very much for being so open about this awards issue. Your blog still does not explain why SRR did not get even a single award, not to talk about an honorary mention. Your TV interview talks about audio problems in Preview theatre – no one knows what happened. How did the Jury screen the Bengali movie “Laptop” and come up with a decision to award Best Background Score. Everyone in AP and Tamil Nadu who saw SRR, are unanimous in their decision that Maestro Ilayaraaja’s composition was world class. SRR should have at least received one technical award in Music score. Please continue to highlight this issue to your film fraternity colleagues and friends.
    Your TV interview link -

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, nothings going to change. The govt will not accept its fault. What will happen is ppl will turn it into "undeserving guelts push for undeserving movie - has anyone cried so much before" and " intolerant ir fans" etc. Let it be a lost award. Lots of people get awards. It is no big deal. Like app quoted, msv only ever got alwa, never an award. This satish - sad sad feller. It looks like when raja's best works come up, jury fellers who have worked with him before get strange afflictions. Balu mahen got oh so moral about not favouring a friend. - dude, you don't have to favour, just apply judgement and merit. But he deliberately didn't give because he wqantted to look impartial. Which is stupid. It should always be about merit. Now this kasetty and his personal grudge against TeFIm perhaps because of lack of opps in TeFI. How was his movie Hope? Any chance maestro passed some adverse comment on it during rerecording? Anf our man is taking revenge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    How was his movie Hope? Any chance maestro passed some adverse comment on it during rerecording? Anf our man is taking revenge?
    No, in fact, Maestro liked Hope and even presented Satish with a signed copy of its score sheet - which Satish treasures a lot (according to one old post by him, which i remember reading some time ago).

My question to Satish, on facebook:

"Understandable.. But sir, a composer brings in philharmonic orchestra to compose mindboggling score that exceeds the expectations from a mythological film.. And if the jury members feel that the score was not competent, just because the theatre didnt have DTS system, whose fault is it? Was the score not good because of a technical glitch at govt.'s end? I am not blaming but trying to understand whose fault is it for ignoring a phenomenal soundtrack!"

His answer:

"We did complain, i protested. They said, they are going for digital projection from next year. All the films were judged like that. their answer was sorry sir we don't have a DTS projection provision, all the movies are watched on mono.."

Post Thanks / Like
    Though I understand that SRR was given an unfair treatment, I also feel that these guys - Jury members - are dealing with govt. and administration. And they can go only to a certain extent in dealing with them. If we common public have countless horrid stories to tell about out experiences with any government office/department, be it municipal office or passport office or transport or just any division, do you think the demands of the jury will be considered and addressed. We dont know what all happens there. Satish says he protested. Now, what more he could have done? protested more? then he will be dumped and someone else will be taken and that wouldnt change anything anyway. Also, there are 5 members in the regional jury. Satish is one of the 5. what about the other 4 members?? who are they? and what were their opinions? did they protest or not?
    I dont mean to sound defensive, but i am just reminding that these jury guys are dealing with govt./administration, which is very (in)famous for the way of functioning. And more importantly, nothing can change now!

If you ask me personally, this NA does not make any difference at all. Even if Raaja had won it, it wouldnt have made any difference!

Again, my thoughts above are mere guesswork.
    Last edited by aakarsh; 12th March 2012 at 11:29 AM.