Junior Member Devoted Hubber rajaramsgi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dochu View Post
    just a small example:

movie: kadal (2013)
    song: adiyee....
    md: arr

copied from

album: ali farka toure with ry cooder (talking timbuktu) (1994)
    artist: ali farka touré (malian - 1939-2006 rip)

arr has popularized other's works not his. Hence if at all, anything that is playing in indian villages are of others. Credit should go to the original artist.

ஹலோ, காப்பி அடிச்சாலும் கரெக்டா பன்றோம்ல..உங்களை மாதிரி சிலர் பண்ற சதியால மாட்டிக்கிறோம். இல்லாட்டி கேடு கேட்ட தமிழனால கண்டு பிடிக்க முடியுமா லாஸ் எஞ்ச்லேஸ்ல எந்த cd போட்டு கேட்டுகிட்டு இருக்கோம்னு?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adiye is not a COPY of that song. That way, almost everything Ilayaraja has done is a copy of JS Bach or, failing that, Vivaldi. Composers can derive influence from Western music, nothing wrong with that. And secondly, that would be an extremely hypocritical argument to use against ARR when IR also infuses a lot of Western influences in his music. Do you think the Western aspect of IR's music just sprung out of thin air? It obviously has a precedent in the vast body of Western music over the centuries, be it classical music or rock music. The difference I would say is a song like Adiye is very generic, like a very typical blues/soul track whereas IR has evolved his signature chords and motifs. ARR differentiates himself from the rest of the crowd through a new sound while IR's approach is more 'classical' and his music is identified by distinct patterns in the chord or melodic progressions he uses. Both approaches are valid though the latter is probably more challenging to achieve.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson king View Post
    ARR differentiates himself from the rest of the crowd through a new sound while IR's approach is more 'classical' and his music is identified by distinct patterns in the chord or melodic progressions he uses. Both approaches are valid though the latter is probably more challenging to achieve.
    I hope I understood you correctly. You seemed to agree that IR's musical arrangements are much more complex and challenging.

It is quite obvious that the musical arrangements in that 1994 song is similar to Kadal song. If one argues that these are standard musical arrangements that comes with a keyboard or whatever package, then ARR is quite limited in creativity. Please type in ARR copycat in youtube - you will end up with tons of similarity in most of his songs.

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's nothing very unique about the arrangements of that 1994 song. Those are very typical blues arrangements. There is no need for them to be derived from a keyboard package, it is a blues tradition. If somebody uses a call and response in a Hindi song, would you point to a specific qawali track and claim it is copied from that or say it is BASED on qawali. Adiye is simply based heavily on blues, that's all. I can name any number of tracks with similar chord progressions. When I first heard Adiye, this was the song that came to my mind and it was originally recorded in 1975 (video is of a recent live performance), obviously much older than Talking Timbuktu.

Yes, I do consider IR's music more complex than ARR. That by itself does not make ARR a copycat or his approach invalid. All your exhibit demonstrates his music is based on some Western GENRE. The word copycat should be used with care. Would you also agree that Mouna Raagam theme is copied from Flash Dance? Obviously not, I presume. Any and every similarity does not amount to plagiarism.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously the entire lot of you have lost your plot. Thalaivar has a health scare and you all are focusing on Rahman. We fans can do better than that for sure.

As for the "controversial" interview, it makes sense why thalaivar hates journalists so much. They twist and focus on the "masala" points so that they can get controversial replies from the people being asked. They have put Rahman into the same trap. The ones who are sniping at Rahman for his answers should know very well that these are the same journalists who made thalaivar respond like that in the past. Stop creating a idi stormu out of a tea cuppu.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully this chest pain is stress related and not genetic. He must be overworked doing many movies at this age. Have a speedy recovery and a extended rest, God of Music!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wishing Raja a very speedy recovery.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber svaisn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think his health condition is stable now..

http://www.sify.com/movies/ilayaraja...xsU5idfie.html

Neraya pada pannalaamum parvaale... just do 1 or 2 films a year and hope he takes care of his health... We need him to be around for many more years.........
    Karthik -Happy Illa

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maestro was rushed to hospital from his studio while composing for a movie. At 70 years and 36 years after Annakili release, Maestro's output is as fresh as ever when we first heard the songs in 1977. Maestro's music will never become irrelevant. Very soon, he is going to compose his 1000th music album and we want him to accomplish that. Let's pray to give our Maestro all the courage and health to produce more wonders in the coming years.

At this moment of reflection the following interview by SPB is worth recalling - just listen to the intelligent questions posed by Sriram which was well prepared unlike this reporter from Kumudham magazine. Maestro's output has not changed in spite of all the digital techniques and computers which is so prevalent today. As I have mentioned before, in present time, a playback singer can croon in his own sound proof room and record a song. The music director can more or less complete the song with all orchestration and cues while flying 30,000 feet on his laptop computer. Another sound engineer would then clean up the track and release it. No wonder these so called croons are one-time YouTube hits and then gone like a wind never to be heard. Directors and Producers just need some listener numbers in social media and FM Radio stations to declare a song as "Hit". This is a big joke now.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkster View Post
    Seriously the entire lot of you have lost your plot. Thalaivar has a health scare and you all are focusing on Rahman. We fans can do better than that for sure.
    Other than praying for him, there is nothing much ordinary people like us can do. Hence I thought, rather than post similar 'wish him health' posts, discussion moved on. I understand, wrong timing.