Page 300 of 401 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302310350400 ... LastLast
Results 2,991 to 3,000 of 4002

Thread: Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    what I understand is that K.B has taken his songs for puthu puthu arthangal!

there was a strike during rerecording. Raja supposed to do rerecording for the movie.
    they didn't want to wait since the movie release date was fixed.
    He did not obstruct their project, ok...eduthuttu po!
    but he kept their attitude in his mind, conducted himself in future projects without compromising his values!

what about the bgm?
    I am checking my DVD- PYRAMID DVD , it says ISAI ILAYARAJA!
    SO..RAJA did not do bgm for the movie aa?
    Last edited by baroque; 3rd October 2012 at 10:55 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    IR did not do the RR for Puthu puthu Arthangal.

KB filled the BGM from his earlier films..
    Punnagai Mannan's Chaplin BGM was used for Janakaraj's scenes.

Especially the climax BGM of PPA was used from Ek Duje Keliye ( Which is not by IR at all ).

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appadiyaa!
    I was planning to see the movie tonight!

if what I understood from that passage is correct means, Raja taught them a lesson!

Raja has become an icon for couple generations with substance!

what where K.B etc.. thinking?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123 View Post
    kamesh - something abt the KB episode does not make sense! if IR was bound by the contract for Kavithalaya films, shdnt he have completed the re-recording for PPA on-time for the film's release ? or did KB make a sudden decision to release the movie before its original scheduled release and had to request IR to do the BGM amidst his busy schedule ? and what is this abt IR interpreting the whole thing the way he did "they dont need my music only my name" - of course they wanted his music too, thats why KB sent anandhu and co to request for the BGM to be done, right ? i think its just lack of communication and misunderstanding on both sides!
    The problem was no recording was available in chennai due to strike and KB had to release the movie. No way they could bring it to mumbai and do it and we know how busy Raaja was during that time.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Singer Devan Ekaambaram is the guest on innisai mazhai (kalaignar tv) for this week. He's been singing many Raaja songs (while playing on an acoustic guitar). The portions that I caught on TV today had pani vizhum malarvanam and en iniya pon nilaavE. Speaking about the former he said that Naattai is generally a very 'bluesy' scale and that Raaja has used this very well in this song, keeping the chords in the blues style while the veenai and flute operate almost purely in carnatic. About the latter, he explained how the song is loaded with so many different elements and how it straddles seamlessly between the minor and major scale chords and also spoke about how packed/dense the chord progression in this one is.

I don't think this program is uploaded/host by any websites these days; I still haven't found the Yugendran Vasudevan Menon episode (which featured the brilliant bass guitar explanation portion). If anyone here has recording option available with their TV cable service provider, please try getting this show tomorrow and day-after.

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I assume that this is true - I feel it's unfair to blame KB too much. I know they should've waited but still... They are in business. Atleast they asked him, that too twice. It's not that they dumped him without telling him. I get a feeling that its an impulsive decision that raaja took for a small issue. I mean, it really didn't require such a big decision. These kind of things happen everywhere right, in every profession and with already 400 films in his past, raaja should have, by then, known all such things out of experience and must have acted practically. That (mis)interpretation that they came only for his name and not for music seems farfetched. They came to him only, not anyone else! To clap, you need both hands. To patch up also! It looks like a silly oath taken in a bad mood!

My opinion strictly based on translation by kamesh!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aakarsh View Post
    If I assume that this is true - I feel it's unfair to blame KB too much. I know they should've waited but still... They are in business. Atleast they asked him, that too twice. It's not that they dumped him without telling him. I get a feeling that its an impulsive decision that raaja took for a small issue. I mean, it really didn't require such a big decision. These kind of things happen everywhere right, in every profession and with already 400 films in his past, raaja should have, by then, known all such things out of experience and must have acted practically. That (mis)interpretation that they came only for his name and not for music seems farfetched. They came to him only, not anyone else! To clap, you need both hands. To patch up also! It looks like a silly oath taken in a bad mood!

My opinion strictly based on translation by kamesh!
    + 111

exactly! I was trying to convey the same - originally I had thought KB had used tracks to fill up PPA WITHOUT informing IR ! but it looks like IR was not even in chennai, and KB's team approached him in mumbai with a request to finish the BGM - perhaps, if they had initially asked IR to use his old tracks even without asking him to finish the BGM asap, then it was KB team's fault - OTOH, if they had persuaded IR to finish the BGM before a certain time limit and IR had asked for more time, and then, after some going back and forth, KB team decided to use his old tracks etc, then it was purely a business decision and nothing personal abt it!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    aakarsh,

It doesn't tell the whole story of IR-KB break-up but only the specific PPA episode.

- IR was upset that they wanted to only use his name and not his fresh composition (creative artist, understandable)

- They used old tracks, fine - but why non-IR track? (Ek dujE kE liyE, as reported by raja_fan), this could have irritated him more. I think those days, even non-IR songs weren't that much allowed to be part of his movies (like passing references, as sung by a character etc)

- For the next movie, we don't know whether KB approached IR...that's not told here, so, it could be that KB was adamant as well

-IR claims here that only when KB's production house did a Rajinikanth movie, Rajini came to IR. (possibly aNNAmalai). Even this time, as claimed by IR, a) KB didn't approach IR directly as the producer, b) not even told Rajini the prior-friction but simply despatched him to beg IR

So, ego problem is not from IR only...

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, it's very possible that IR treated KB movies as special (compared to some XYZ director movie where it would have been OK to use some "dubbing music").

We know for a fact how his scores were for the KB-directed movies.

Could have hurt him more...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123 View Post
    OTOH, if they had persuaded IR to finish the BGM before a certain time limit and IR had asked for more time
    I don't think time was the issue - Chennai was in strike as per IR's reply in Kumudam. So, it could have been the cost.