Page 27 of 401 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    The point I am making is IR might well come up with Mozart's 25th Symphony but junta will reject only. How can one be cool if one appreciates a veshti clad perusu? Wouldn't that be a valid dilemma for the youth crowd that determines the fate of such movies?.
    Plum,

I think veshti/perusu are irrelevant issues. Would a camera-shy/media-shy person be cool to grow to be isai puyal? I would think the music speaks much more than the person or character, let alone dress sense. What's working against IR is: the huge expectations he has set himself against in view of his monumental works in the past. People are looking for a mouna ragam or ithaya koyil standard songs - but not exactly the same songs. E.g. repeating 'that' same style like in mayilu is bound to fail. Also not even trendy/hip songs. Maybe the janta want to be surprised with 'something' of IR calibre.. (Note: these are not my personal feelings )

manappalo, therattupalo.. oru alpa santhosham adaya vida maattelaa..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    RR,

Plum has a valid point. Though Rahman was media shy person, remember how he changed himself during the 'Vande Mataram' days? That Michael Jackson pose and all. He did change himself in order to connect better with the 'youth'. You cannot deny that. Added to it was the advantage that Rahman started as a technology savvy person right from Roja days. Whereas one of the major identity of Raja has been his village background. And that for today's youth will be an 'uncool' thing. I personally have my cousins / nephews / niece who just don't want to listen to anything which has Raja's name on it. They are ready for any new composer but Raja for them is 'perusu' and someone who is 'uncool'. All you need to do is to check the playlist of many of the college going folks (which I do often). Only a very few will have Raja in their most played list.

Another problem which I see, especially when you pass comments on his recent works is that you have decided that his past works cannot be surpassed by him. So even an excellent song like 'Chandrabimbathin' becomes a 'OK but not classic' for you. I would say that 'Snehaveedu' will match up to most of what Raja did in the 80s even with its synthesizers. But I am sure many of the old folks will go, "It is smoke but not a cigar". As I keep repeating, in the first decade itself there were so many album which will give the 80s a run for their money. It is just that many have shut off their ears in the 80s and refuse to open it

I don't agree that Raja has not been doing work of his caliber. 'Mayilu' is a decent album. I agree it is not probably a classic but we had such albums in 80s too. Albums which has one hit songs and other decent songs. Whereas 'Snehaveedu' I feel is an excellent album. So was 'Bhagyadevatha'. So 'Pazhassi Raja'. Even 'Gayam 2' was an outstanding album. Unfortunately 'Gayam 2' did not fare well in the BO. The style in 'Gayam 2' is changed but the musical quality is of the same high standards that Raja has set for himself.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    RR, hit vandhaa vENamnA solROm. But yaarum thappA nenaikka koodAdhu - manasula irukkaRa oru nightmare-ai solREn. Basically, I keep flashing back to RDB and his superhit youth icon sign-off from the world with 1942, an album not great by his standards but a grand farewell in terms of popular acceptance. Enna solla vaRRenna big commercial hit koduththA apdi Edhum nightmarishA AyidumOnnu oru superstition - basically indha manushan enakkappuRam dhaan pOgaNumnu oru aasai...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry KV, skr and others if my post hurt you. Except for the first few lines it was not meant for you.
    I certainly know you weren't doubting Maestro's capabilities. It is also not against your wishes for Maestro for his next venture.
    My biggest mistake was I happened to read the other thread where I got deeply hurt by some hubbers statements.
    Especially, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall (with video), Goundamani reference (putting this legend to shame), gracefully retire and all those things.
    On top of that, praising their own music taste. I never imagined so much hatred towards any one. It is their right to dislike anyone (music), but these statement does not reflect their dislike alone.
    Still I was happy as skv, bala and saai were patiently responding to them. But having seen similar sentiments in IR thread is what made me upset again.
    I don't want to elaborate that again. Again, I apologize if my post hurt anyone.

One last thing, Since IR did such a huge volume of work, he is to be blamed again as he has created huge expectations. No fault on others. I don't know what to say.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_S - if you know the said hubbers and their agenda, you'll know that what came out was their poRumal. Avainga uLLukuLLa kumainjukitturkkaanga adhan veLippAdu dhaan adhu. Their idea is to hurt soft and sensitive fans like you adhukku dhaan their posts but unfortunately for them ennaiya , balava maadhiri oru ruf and tuf lawyer indha pakkam irukkomla - andha pAchchAvellAm balikkAdhu. SummA ignore paNNidunga

Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh,

*ahem* I didn't say/decide 'his past works cannot be surpassed'. Just said he has not been able to so far. But didn't mean that as my personal opinion. I was only echo-ing the sentiments of the janta which is possibly reflected in the commercial success/failure. Why is that a 'problem'? I'm just putting forth my theory.

I know you are still loving all his current songs, and I can't accept them as great. That doesn't mean that I've shut off my ears, nor his music is bad. It's just personal preferences.. Ok let's stop here. Don't like to upset your party day

Post Thanks / Like
    PLum-kkul ippadi oru sentiment mind-aa.. Surprise!

V_S, as Plum pointed out, public forums/blogs abound with all kinds of people/opinions (more often the ridiculing ones - just see the thamiz manam blog posts). If we take every comment seriously, will go mad. Just have to filter out.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Plum and RR. No worries. I know and understand what you are saying, but as I said it was my mistake. But avanga vasayukkaavathu mariyathai thandhirukalam.

Post Thanks / Like
    RR,

I have no issues about personal preference and I have no issues about his recent music not being commercially successful. I fully agree with it. His commercial success, except in Malayalam, have been non existent (with a few exceptions like 'Paa') So I am definitely not fighting that opinion at all. All I keep saying is that musically Raja has been doing stuff which is as good as his 80s and his best hits. Again I reiterate, musically. To quantify that further I would say I am looking at experimentation, moving to newer genres, originality in that genre, not repeating himself, overall structure of the song and new ideas. I continue seeing that with him.

As you say, we have been repeating that argument again and again. You with your stand and me with mine So ya, lets give that a break for time being

Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,

'Kaadhalukku Mariyadhai' was a youth iconic album So don't worry. Succcess / flop / youth appeal is only for us. For him, it is music and more music. And I can say from some tweets that not only you but a huge number of fans have nightmares on this count.