Page 60 of 401 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sureshs65 View Post
    rajaramsgi,

thanks for the link
    நானும் ரசித்தேன்! ராக தீபம் ஏற்றும் நேரம் - செரிவானப் பார்வை tns! கர்நாடக இசையில் புலமை பெற்றவர்கள் ராஜாவை சிலாகிப்பது போல ராஜாவின் மேற்கத்திய இசைப்புலமையை சிலாகித்து சொல்ல நிறைய இசை விமர்சகர்கள் வரணும். ரொம்ப அரிதாகவே (பிரசன்னா) அந்த பாக்கியம் நமக்கு கிடைத்திருக்கிறது.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow!wow!wow! yes, thanks a lot rararamsgi for the link. How beautifully he explained the hamsanandhi raagam and how he gets into film song, explaining the beauty of the raagam, wonderful! While explaining the raagam I was overwhelmed when he said it requires wisdom to extract the brightness/essence/swaroopam in any raagam is what is most important, be it muthiah bhagavathar, papanasam sivam or Ilaiyaraaja. It is always to good to hear these words from these legends.

Three points to be noted/implied from TNS sir's thoughts.
    How Maestro composed this film song (raagadeepam) in a purely carnatic classical way, yet it never sounds like a classical song, that's the beauty of the genius. Second, how he explored new and rare carnatic raagams in films. Third, any song which can be sung without any orchestration definitely has more weightage, as the melody content/soul is more in vocals.

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raaja is in London right now... Apparently for NEPV recording or mixing.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contrary to popular belief here, Raja did score for youthful romances in 2000s. Ofcourse, Tamil films mostly gave him village based themes or melodramas, Malayalam family dramas and Kannada some indeterminate stuff. It was Telugu which gave him these 'youthful' romances. I can personally think of 'Sunny', 'Shambu' and 'Ninnu Choodaka Nenudalenu' and 'Om Shanthi' belonging to this category. The music in these movies is varied. I would say 'Sunny' and 'Shambu' are quite similar in their music, while 'Ninnu Choodaka Nenundalenu' is more like 'Mallepoovu', where melody is the key. 'Om Shanti' on the other hand in the newer, jazzier Raja that we have come to hear in the recent past.

Here is the link to the songs of 'Shambu':

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu...p?mid=a0000609

Songs of 'Sunny':

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu...p?mid=a0001202

Songs of 'Ninnuchoodaka Nenundalenu':

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu...p?mid=a0000275

Songs of 'Om Shanthi':

http://www.hummaa.com/music/album/om-shanti/35659

It must be said that as far as I know all of them were flops !!!! I personally love the music from all these movies and keep playing 'Sunny' and 'Om Shanthi' regularly. (The other CDs are not available) The songs didn't make much of an impact on the general populace, I should confess. (Maybe a couple of songs from 'Ninnuchoodaka.." were well known.) All these movies (with the exception of 'Om Shanthi' ) have one 'teen maar' or 'kuthu' song, which I love and which aakarsh hates from the bottom of his heart

My feeling is that NEVP will be in the lines of 'Om Shanthi'. That is Raja's new sound. The jazz and the Broadway musical style. And I will be more than happy if I get something like 'Chinna Polike'. If you haven't heard it do go to the 'Om Shanthi' link and listen to it.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by naarayanan View Post
    punya...on veena...mad mad mod fugue...

http://www.dhingana.com/veena-in-vie...indi/pop/30233

but this is not the mad mod mood fugue piece...!!
    heard it just once... adEngappa, amakkalamaa irukku!
    thanks for sharing this, and thanks to Raj for the TNS clip

Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh,

you love to remind me about my dislike for those set of songs

Though I agree with you that there were "youth" catering scores that Raaja worked on, in the last 5-10 years, I believe this NEVP is much more important and much more bigger. Because all the above mentioned films - were films made by non-entities. Sunny was almost a b-grade film I think and nobody knows Shambhu. Ninu CHoodaka Nenu Undalenu had many songs from Tamil (Enna Solli) and it too was not a big film as such. Om Shanti was backed by a big banner and yet, it was by a new director and the film flopped miserably. One common thing among all these films is - They all were made by directors who never had a name and who couldn't make a name either, with these films.

GVM, on the other hand, is a brand now. He has 'some' fans, irrespective of who acts in his films. His films may flop, but there is an audience who are willing to give his films a try. And more importantly, music has been a plus-point in his films, no matter who the composer was. The songs atleast, were hits. So NEVP is much more main-stream than the above mentioned films.

And honestly, I expect something much better than Chinna Polike. I recently heard Chinna Polike again and I felt it is just an 'OK' song (Gunjawala not withstanding), atleast compared to even more valuable nuggets such as Kooda Varuviya, Sneha veedu etc. And apart from Chinna Polike, other songs in the album really didnt catch me much, as much as some of the 2009 films of Raaja did. A Ediya Baagilu is much more innovative than a Chinna Polike, i feel. So I'll be disappointed if Raaja comes up with a Chinna Polike standard song. Give me atleast a Kannil Paarvai or Kooda Varuviya or Kai Veesu (Nandalala) anyday - they rank much higher, according to me.

From audience perspective - Telugu audience love Raaja's 80s works and they loved when he did Anthapuram. And they again loved his Rama Rajyam. But they couldnt get to love Sunny, Om Shanti, Shambu and all. So if Raaja composes another Chinna Polike standard song, I am not sure if the audience will lap it up.

Raaja is currently in London, recording/mixing NEVP. It very much shows the scale of this film. I hope the music lives up to the hype, which we all have generated

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kamal,

'chinna polike' is definitely more than an 'OK" song. To me it is an amazing song.

Yes, none of those songs were hits and the directors were not famous guys and didn't become famous. The scale of NEPV is different of course and the expectation is also high. What I wanted people to understand listening to these songs was how Raja's brain worked. The level of complexity which was there even within the 'youth' and 'fun' songs. So you cannot expect Harris level dumbed down 'hits'

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Raja in London for NETP recording

Its official - Raja is in London with GVM for NETP recording

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...w/12326707.cms

Music always plays an important role in a Gautham Menon directorial venture. Right from his debut Minnale, he's had good music.

This time around, his trilingual project Neethane En Ponvasantham, which stars Samantha as the female lead, while Jiiva, Nani and Aditya Roy Kapoor play the leads in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi respectively, will have music maestro Ilaiyaraaja composing the tunes.

The filmmaker is off to London to record the songs. "I am off to record the songs with Raja. He is someone I've grown up listening to and I love his tunes. I am excited about working with him as it is a dream come true for me," says Gautham.

While the teaser promo that was released a month back had the famous Ilaiyaraaja song that the film's title is inspired from, a little known fact is that Gautham himself sang the song that Jiiva lip syncs in it. Ask him if he will be singing the full song which will be remastered and released in this film and he says, "Oh no! I am not a singer."

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Fans of Ilayaraaja sir, you will have the official word from us soon. Yesterday fans of ilayaraaja met in chennai and we had the privilege of having Mr. Prabhakar and Mr. Jayamanickam as our chief guests. The musical discussion with them will be written in a separate topic. The main discussions of yesterdays meeting is we plan to collect a small fee from interested members every month. this money will be used to get audio releases of raaja sir for the group remembers. We target around 500 members and the subscription amount could be from 100 to 200 rupees a month. Comments welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    kamesh!

Please let us know more details. I hope this will not be a "project Gem" kind of effort. Project Gem got some good releases, but couldnt sustain because there were not many buyers. But now, with the advent of social media, i think things can work out well.
    Rs.100-Rs.200 per month subscription? I didnt get this exactly. What is the plan as such? and how does it work out?