Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftSword View Post
    enna shocking idhula?
    Never knew Kathir was related to ARR..

Got a copy of spirit of music from chennai reading it now..interesting
    Usurae Poguthey Usurae Poguthey..Othada Nee Konjam Suzhikayila

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber AudazJay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, LM, Ajay, and Scale. Didn't know that Kathir approached ARR way before Mani did. And Kathir being ARR's brother in law is definitely news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahen View Post
    Got a copy of spirit of music from chennai reading it now..interesting
    Did you order it from online Mahen? The website I went to can only deliver in and around India. Which website did you go to? Did you get the Connection cd with the book?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber lancelot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AudazJay View Post
    Thanks for the info, LM, Ajay, and Scale. Didn't know that Kathir approached ARR way before Mani did. And Kathir being ARR's brother in law is definitely news to me.

Did you order it from online Mahen? The website I went to can only deliver in and around India. Which website did you go to? Did you get the Connection cd with the book?
    I ordered it online through Flipcart and got it delivered to a friend in India. it was cool, coz it was pay when delivered. just got the book to my hand yesterday with the Connections CD. Awesome!
    Sadhakallahu Nabiyul Kareem - A R Rahman

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Mahen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

parents bought for me..They were in chennai for 3 months and they came back yesterday yeap..together with the CD..the cost of the book is abt RM40
    Usurae Poguthey Usurae Poguthey..Othada Nee Konjam Suzhikayila

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber AudazJay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Lancelot and Mahen. Looks like I can only get this book if I have a friend in India or if I go to India myself
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber A.ANAND's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    AR Rahman’s states of mind

The composer’s latest project is a movie production house that he hopes will create wholesome family entertainment and use music differently. Nasreen Munni Kabir’s interviews shed new light on his personality, writes Shana Maria Verghis. Kabir does a Q&A

After creating his music label and academy, AR Rahman, whose various projects included composing music for the late MF Husain’s Meenaxi: A Tale Of Three Cities, is starting a film company. It is named YM Movies.

In AR Rahman, The Spirit of Music, a series of interviews with the musical genius, by filmmaker Nasreen Munni Kabir, Rahman explained that AR’s film project is to, “provide a platform for new ideas and change the perception of music implementation in films.” Adding he was “keen that we produce family entertainment that enriches our lives. I’m hoping it will also help to change the status of musicians in India...The profession itself must be regarded as a stable one.”

Not many people know it was a singer and actor, the late Malaysia Vasudevan, who gave AR Rahman his first break as a music producer. In 1987, he composed an album with Vasudevan. It had various music styles, like disco, although the title of the collection was Disco Disco.

AR fans usually know he was in a band called Magic and another called Roots. Both with Sivamani.

The longer story behind Rahman’s early band days, is that the first one he formed, was with schoolmates, when he was in class nine. It was a rock music cover band. Another group, Magic, was created between 1985-86. It had two shows. A few years later, Roots did fusion music and disbanded after one show. Like Rahman’s last band, Nemesis Avenue, which was formed between 1990-91?

Nasreen Munni Kabir, a documentary filmmaker, who has produced books based on the screenplays of Awaara, Mother India and Pyaasa, uses the interview format he had applied for a previous book on Lata Mangeshkar, to unearth various facets like the above, about Rahman’s life and work. Published by Om Books, AR Rahman, The Spirit of Music is based on Kabir’s four years of chats with the music producer, beginning from the year 2007. In it, he discusses everything from his family, to his early days of struggle and also gives us insights into his perception.

Rahman said that working with the music director Shekar, had expanded his world vision. While Mani Ratnam’s collaboration, inspired him to think laterally. The influence of spirituality meanwhile had “helped me to think positively.” After Roja, for instance, Rahman felt a vacuum and was unsure whether he wanted to go on composing for films. When Ratnam told him his music should be “for the whole world”, he began to think differently. Instead of complaining things about things he realised it was better to think: “I can make a change, make a difference. I can do this. I can do that.”

He clarified in the book that he never toured on the Colours album (1992) with Zakir Hussain, but only played notes he was given on a keyboard. Nor has he ever studied at London’s Trinity College. Rahman did however sit for a Trinity exam at Musee Musical in Chennai which has followed Trinity’s Western classical music course for close to a century. The composer also said that creating jingles, helped him develop “linear thinking.” He commented, “Writing jingles requires a kind of superficial intelligence. Sometimes we need superficial intelligence. And when we don’t, we must switch it off.”

Rahman apparently does zikr, a meditation and goes into that state for some hours. It helps his composing. He remarked, “Ultimately, you should try and be a good human being if you want to make good music. You have to stay out of negativity — be in another state.” So he “needs to be quiet” and “distant from time to time.”

Here is Kabir in a Q&A:

A musical director in Bollywood, Ismail Durbar recently alleged that Rahman bought his Oscars. Did that ever come up while talking to him?

Ismail Durbar clearly doesn’t know on what basis Oscars are given out. I think he should be very careful about accusing the American Academy of selling Oscars to anyone. He is demeaning and slandering a reputed institution without proof. He should remember the Americans are famous for suing people for libel.

Your book doesn’t mention AR Rahman’s latest project with Dave Stewart and others, including Mick Jagger. But it has a picture of him with Stewart. Was that a deliberate omission?

Not a deliberate mission! We had to send the manuscript to the printer at the end of Feb for a May release. A book is not Twitter and can’t be up to the minute, thank Goodness. Or there would be no books. At least books have a kind of permanency.

Did you ever encounter an angry Rahman?

Everyone is bossy when they need things done. I never saw him angry.

What do you think is the source of constant innovations?

I think it is his spirituality and desire to create new sounds and push the boundaries of music.

Did you sit on sessions where he was working? What was that like?

Yes. I sat in on many sessions. He records quietly. Say he is working with his favourite flute player Naveen Kumar. They will talk gently. Then AR records Naveen’s improvisations. It gives the musician freedom to give something of himself. After that AR edits the whole piece together and the work is painstakingly done in a disciplined fashion.

AR told you he was weak in languages. I think he learnt Urdu and manages to get nuances.
    He spoke of getting a Maulana to teach him. He’s weak at speaking languages but not weak at understanding. He grasps the essentials for sure.

What was happening at the conservatory when you visited. Does he find time to go there?

There was a piano class. I was floored by the standard of playing. Students were so young. So fired up. AR goes when he can, but is not a teacher. So he doesn’t need to be there on a daily basis.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/344680/A...s-of-mind.html

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

song discussion la intha song okya machan nu kettirupar Rahman...udane koluthi pottirupaanga Kathir is ARR's brother in law nu

See this link http://www.mail-archive.com/arrahman.../msg33493.html, supposedly taken from Kathir's interview in Rahmania show (Aaha FM), so these are words from the man himself

Quote Originally Posted by Kathir
    He knew ARR
    > > > right from Roja Fame, and was waiting for the right opportunity to get
    > > > assosociated with our Guru .
    > > >
    > > > 2. After Idhayam, he was in search of a new Music Director for his new
    > > > film Kadhal desam. His very first meeting with ARR, he started liking him.
    > > > ARR was playing the guitar for the song Chinna Chinna Aasai & Kadhal
    > > > Rojave
    > > > ( Roja ) . Kadhir was impressed by these songs, that he decided and
    > > > desperately wanted ARR for his movies. At that time, his salaray levels
    > > > were
    > > > very low, and he wanted to book ARR for his movies, by paying him some
    > > > advanceof Rs. 10,000 /-. So he borrowed this money from his friend. The
    > > > first story that was discussed was Kadhal Desam, though Uzhavan got
    > > > released
    > > > first.
    Getting ARR's date was very difficult, as every director wanted to
    > > > Book ARR for their films. Kadhir was moving with ARR like his friend, and
    > > > ARR used to ask Kadhir for poems everytime they met.
    5. ARR was fond of Kadhir, which Kadhir attrbutes to God's Gift. More
    > > > than being a professional, ARR was always friendly. Kadhir used to feel
    > > > inspired seeing Rahman; thus seeing him as a role model
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

My Blog site - http://rsubras.blogspot.com