Page 255 of 268 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 2673

Thread: Oscar Thamizhan 'Isaipuyal' AR Rahman News/Updates

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A.ANAND View Post
    Top Sellers: Albums | "Best of 2014" | iTunes India | 5 of A.R. Rahman's in Top 20 |

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=323485921172556
    Cool. So except "Lingaa" which released just a few weeks back, all other Rahman albums this year find themselves in the iTunes hit list. The much criticized "I" is at the very top. Haters can keep hating

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thozhar,

I heard that the albums released until Oct end were considered. Hence Lingaa is not listed. Even yesterday Lingaa was in the first position of iTunes india
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thozhar View Post
    Cool. So except "Lingaa" which released just a few weeks back, all other Rahman albums this year find themselves in the iTunes hit list. The much criticized "I" is at the very top. Haters can keep hating
    gone are the days when i get hooked on to each on of the count down program and see how Rahman albums favor.... started with cibaca (or close up?) top 10 in vividhbharathi i suppose (hosted by abaswaram ramji) and then sun tv top 10, super hit mirchi (in DD Metro) .... will feel very excited to see rahman's albums at top position... athellam chinna vayasula.... nowadays youtube hits, likes, itunes top rank lam mostly based on combo of star power and selling power much more than the richness of the content itself...It is no big deal that Rahman being an international brand, his albums being at the top
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

My Blog site - http://rsubras.blogspot.com

Senior Member Diamond Hubber A.ANAND's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Music superstar..isaiyin international iraivan on n only annan a.r.rah man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    Thozhar,

I heard that the albums released until Oct end were considered. Hence Lingaa is not listed. Even yesterday Lingaa was in the first position of iTunes india

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsubras View Post
    gone are the days when i get hooked on to each on of the count down program and see how Rahman albums favor.... started with cibaca (or close up?) top 10 in vividhbharathi i suppose (hosted by abaswaram ramji) and then sun tv top 10, super hit mirchi (in DD Metro) .... will feel very excited to see rahman's albums at top position... athellam chinna vayasula.... nowadays youtube hits, likes, itunes top rank lam mostly based on combo of star power and selling power much more than the richness of the content itself...It is no big deal that Rahman being an international brand, his albums being at the top
    Hmmm, me neither. I would still love all these albums irrespective of their positions in any hit list. In fact, my favorite Rahman album of this year is "Highway". That said, these ratings are a fitting response to those critics who proclaimed that Rahman was finished. I don't expect them to stop doing that either

However, what these ratings do confirm is that Rahman is still the most sought after composer in India. Why it matters to me? I love his music and, Heavens forbid, if he is finished, then I will get to hear less of his music in TFM and HFM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thozhar View Post
    hater ellam ippa konjam tired aagitaanga..vera vazhi illam nit securiy guard vela pakka poitangga!!

9. Likes Russellmtp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kochadaiyaan Million dollar arm 100foot journey in Oscar nominations

http://www.oscars.org/news/114-origi...014-oscar-race

Post Thanks / Like
    AR Rahman beats Vijay, Rajnikanth and Ajith

http://www.top10cinema.com/article/3...anth-and-ajith

Post Thanks / Like
    இசை பற்றிய ஆழ்ந்த புரிதல்....

- எம்.டி.எம்.

Having started to listen music in 90s my first attraction was the 90s obvious michael jackson. Hated tamil songs that sounded very steretotype lalala types. One fine day heard chinna chinna asai from Roja..had absolute goosebumps and was spellbound by it. Though I was a kid to identify music directors those days could tell from the sound that it was rahman. Roja, kadhalan, Indian and all those years were unbelievable days of my childhood. This was India's Michael jackson songs. No more did i have to go to MJ.

When he broke into bollywood with Rangeela..I was so happy. Still remember when Rahman broke into bollywood and had slump I was praying that Taal becomes a huge hit and that the whole india appreciates him.

Hits after hits and i honestly believe that he is another MJ. He is another king of Pop. MJ started that style of Pop texture and Rahman has perfected it like none. Still think that Rahman should be a leading Global Pop artist and there is nobody currently on the Global Pop scene even close to his talents. Rahman seems to be trying with many single releases that but he lacks the glamour quotient, the marketability and gangam style surprises that is the launch pad for the global scene. Hope he gets that break and rocks. Still he has achieved all fame thats in offer with oscars and all global and indian honors which he richly deserves.

But thats not the story.
    One fine morning i heard a song from a nothing movie called raasaiya and i couldnt get out of it for weeks. I felt so ashamed because it was lalala type. But still couldnt get out of it. I donno what was in it but couldnt skip humming that song. Then came to know that it was by Ilaiyaraja. Then came to know that there were many songs that were always there in the radios which seemed very pleasant were by this person.

One day got hold of cassestte called How to Name it by ilaiyaraja. And that changed my life forever. What it did to me as a kid is unexplainable in words. I couldnt digest the enormity and would keep crying most of the times when i heard some pieces in that.That started the unending search of this man called Ilaiyaraja. Started searching for every cassette from my dad's old collections. There were some great songs and some ok songs (to me as a kid at that time...The ok/mediocre songs were puzzling because how come a man who composes HTNI can do this...will come to it later). HTNI is one of the greatest musical albums to come out of the country undoubtedly. When Ravishankar is credited for fusion albums what raja has done here is a pioneering work like never before. He has composed as if Bach talks to Thyagarajah in musical terms and it is stands as a pinnacle work.

Then read his book called sangeetha kanavugal. He had thrown lot of names like bach, mozart, paul mauriat etc which were his inspirations. I found that these people are considered Gods of music in the traditional western world. Then i started listening to their works which was again heavenly. But i was shocked when hearing them. They sounded very familiar to me. Then i realised what raja was doing. He was taking all these masters and styles and giving it for us. We in tamilnadu’s villages were hearing to music which only the great european opera halls were serving. That started a lot of search again. My music was only MJ till then. Then it went from north/south/east/west. Listening to every genre out there..classical, pop, ambience, metal, funk, avant grade and all that..

So to come back to the question..The question should be a great honor for
    Rahman but an absolute insult to Ilaiyaraja. That has nothing to do with Rahman. Infact there are very few contemporary artists in the modern world who can be compared with Raja.

Raja is a complete composer who has an authority of western classical, Carnatic and indian folk like no other. He is the first and still the only Indian musician who has understood cinema as an art form and acted like backbone to movies. His music is equally appreciated by both common man and balamurlai krishnas and hariprasad chaurasias.

I mean i cant think of anybody who can do a Western classical - like say a heyram, Indian Classical - like say a sindhubhaivari, Folk music - like say a virumandi or devotional - like a SRR or literary works - like a Bharathi or Thiruvasagam(Pls note that most of these albums are in the rahman era) or any rock, jazz, pop, blues, devotional, techno etc.. Name any genre. Raja is there. He is so authentic to the genre yet he doesnt just present the genre. He internalises it and indianizes it. He just represents the godly concept of all are different forms of the same principle.After all years of listening to various artists across the world,If you listen to Raja you really dont have to roam the whole world. Its all there. Even as a novice i can honestly realize this.

Look at his quantity of work. 1000+ movies. 5000+ songs. 1000*2.30hrs of Background sheet music. That is not humanly possible. There are people who believe that rahman songs are always good and raja has more bad/mediocre songs. Even my dislike for raja in the very early days was the same. But it is completely wrong. It is because we treat music from a likeability factor. That is a very Pop way of approaching music. For a master like Raja music is the communication of a concept in a musical way. Of the 5000 odd songs there would not be any single song which has no concept, technical brilliance, raga base or something or the other which would engage a careful listener. But an easy-go music listener will skip it as it is not likeable. Now after throwing away all these concepts of likeability, sensibilities, trends, popishness i can appreciate song after song and haven't had enuf of this ocean.

His songs are actual compositions as in you can play it instrumental, slow the tempo, change mood (many of his songs are used in both sad/happy versions in films) do all sorts of things keeping the composition intact...all this is possible because it follows a grammar that is so streamlined like a natural river. It is a very organic way of doing music.That is why his songs have high shelf life. that is why his songs can bring you undisturbed sleep and peace.

Raja is the perfect bridge between the pure musical movement and popular music movement. He brings the best of both worlds like no other has done. He has done some serious stuff but at the same time has been conscious of the fact that the common man should appreciate it. For a person with zero background on music, looking back at the amount of music that I have heard, the obscure genres that I have been able to appreciate, it would never have been possible without Raaja.

I can go on and on about raja and truly believe that he is one of the greatest artist of our times. Its sad that he isnt appreciated world wide. But i think that it can change any time. Like many great artists have been rediscovered he might be one day. But he has a godly status in South India and has a feverish fan following. That is going to continue for generations of music lovers. Any serious music buff cannot escape him.

Raja is the extention of the great indian film music tradition of Naushad, Salil da, Burman, KVM, MSV et all and has taken that to the next level. Rahman has gone in a completely different direction and has done well. My only concern is the nextgen of music directors are following Rahman's path as it being easy way of doing music. Wish this great country produces another great artist in that rich tradition.

Rahman is great. Like i said he is the king of Pop. But raja is well and truly beyond all that.

https://www.facebook.com/RamChinnapp...03210465491169