Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lighter side of Carnatic Music

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

The Lighter side of Carnatic Music

Topic started by Narayanan on Wed Sep 29 08:15:12 .

The topic actually Should read "Light Moments in Carnatic Music".
    This thread is to share info. about humour in carnatic arena... vidhwans and their light experiences.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Narayan (@ 194.*) on: Wed Sep 29 08:19:49

Let me start with Sri Ramnad Krishnan. He is a Saivite and used to crack jokes and comment on Vaishnavites.
    He used to say that only 4 vaishnavites (Iyengar) do not do any harm. They are
    1. Child Iyengar.
    2. Dead Iyengar
    3. Yet to be born Iyengar
    4. Sleeping Iyengar

Post Thanks / Like

Gopal (@ htc.*) on: Wed Sep 29 10:16:33

The following was told by one of my friend. I don't know if this is true but I laughed for 10 mts after listening to this.To get the real effect I've tried to put the exact tamil literation.

It seems once Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer was supposed to give a concert in a wedding ceremony at Tanjore.

The bride's father requested that his son (bride's brother) play the Mridangam for MV Iyer. He also added that his son is budding artist.

MV Iyer agreed on the matter. After the concert wa s over , the following happened.

Bride's Father (BF): En Son Eppadi vaasichaan?

MVI: Avan enga en paatukku vasichaan. "Avan pattukku" vasichidindiundhan.

BF musters some courage and questions MVI.

BF: Enna aanalum neenga avanukku thani AAvarthana kotduthirukkanum!

MVI: Oh! Atha kekkarela !!Kutchery poora avan thania thane vasichindirundhan. Athanalathan...

Hope you enjoyed it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Narayanan (@ 194.*) on: Wed Sep 29 11:17:56

There is another Incident about MVI. In one of his concerts, after the actual concert is over, MVI was chatting with the Sabha people and there were a lot of public nearby. Semmangudi, who is MVI's disciple had come just then to the sabha. He prostrated in front of his guru. Immediately MVI said loudly,
    "Ellaarum nee Sevikkaradhai Parthaachu Podhum Ezhundukko!"

Post Thanks / Like

Narayanan (@ 194.*) on: Wed Sep 29 11:19:52

Another Example of Ramnad Krishnan's pranks on Vaishnavites. If he sees a person with a Naaman in his forehead, RK immediately asks "Neenga Iyengaar aa ?" If the person says "Yes", RK replies, "Oho.. Naangaellaam Brahmanaa...".

Post Thanks / Like

RR (@ prox*) on: Wed Sep 29 23:16:18

There are lot of subbudu's comments. One i heard recently in his interview:

Q: what do you think of the new age carnatic singers?
    Subbudu: ippollaam neraya per paada vanthuttaa. gayatri, sudha, sowmya, semiya, uppumaa ippadi..

(Sorry, you need to know tamil to appreciate this.)

Post Thanks / Like

aruLarasan (@ psip*) on: Thu Sep 30 10:32:16

nArAyaNan,

the last one (nAnga brAhmaNA) was a very good one. ))))))

Post Thanks / Like

Jayakar Sundararaman (@ 205.*) on: Thu Dec 2 16:23:00

After a wedding reception performance by the late Shri. Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, the groom's father told the music legend: Your recital now is much superior to what you sang last year. Ariyakudi replied " Ivvidam pattu appidiye dhaan irukku. Avvidam dhaan gnaanam konjam vandhirukku. Adhanal dhaan appidi theriyaradhu"

Post Thanks / Like

Sarav (@ wsti*) on: Tue Jan 25 14:54:52 EST 2000

>Subbudu: ippollaam neraya per paada vanthuttaa. gayatri, sudha, sowmya, semiya, uppumaa ippadi..
    If it was told for humor thats ok.. But Does anyone think that these kind of comments will encorage youngsters?? I heard Sowmya is doing some kind of new programs(Raganubhava), that more explains the Bhavas of Ragas.. Recently 'Sowmya and Sashikiran' presented this program that explains various aspects of raga Sahaana. For more info have a look @ http://www.sangeetham.com/raganubhava/sahana.htm
    I HATE these kind of comments.. I think nobody is inferior to anybody.. Everybody has their own intellegence..
    Can I say "Ippollaam nerayapear criticize panna vanthuttaa subbudu appudu-nnu.. Vaaikku vanthathalellaam sollidaraa!!"..

Sorry if you feel I'm wrong.
    Thanks,
    Sarav.

Post Thanks / Like

Sree (Puduhai Sreeram) (@ 134.*) on: Wed Jan 26 09:11:52 EST

That's not applicable for Subbudu. He's been around a real looooong time. He's not a neophyte. He's known for scathing attacks on performers. He's a critic and that's his job. He's also given nice reviews for mellowed artistes and good performances of even a beginner.

That joke may be Subbudu's attempt at humor and sometimes humor offends some people -- case in point, polish jokes, sardar jokes, limmericks etc.,. One thing though - this is nothing compared to his attacks on stalwarts of yesteryears. Music ciritics are often quite knowledgeable and do a great and thankless job of separating men from the boys or women from the girls, as the case may be. Without naming names, let me add that there are young artistes who need to go a long way before getting mellowed and induce sowkhyam in music. Today everyone gets rave reviews for just getting on the stage or for releasing CDs or whatever. We gotta accept that they are doing a great job of "popularising" carnatic music. But it may not appeal to a critic who believes Carnatic Music to be steeped in tradition and simply praise their performance when it is not up to the mark. Singing in false voice and series of repeating swarams at neck breaking speed do not reveal ones manodharmam. It may tickle the audience and may earn applause but that's a disservice to the beauty and depth of C. Music.

There's been a disturbing trend in carnatic music rasika circle these days. We seem to give standing ovations to even mediocre concerts and heap adulations on not-so-deserving artistes. It's the critic that brings in some semblence of sanity in these heady days of praising anyone and everyone.

Sorry, had to steam off a bit....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast