Thread: Madhu Balakrishnan

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Madhu Balakrishnan

The immensely talented but grossly underrated MADHU BALAKRISHNAN has finally been noticed by Tamil audiences, thanks to his winning the inaugural Sun TV reality show, Sangeetha Maha Yutham. Hurray!!!

Madhu's strong classical foundation and deep baritones are clear assets and he has been well utilised by Vidhyasagar and Illaiyaraja, most recently in the soul-stirring "Pichai pathiram" (Naan Kadavul).

But Madhu's weakness -- if at all it can be called that -- seems to lie in his very strength too. Most producers and MDs probably think his voice is not suitable for soft romantic numbers for young heroes. However, Madhu has been able to modulate his voice beyond recongition when he sings romantic numbers that many people may be oblivious of his versatility. Check out his "Atrai thingal vaanileh" (Sivapathigaram) and "Sollitharavaa" (Majaa). These are just two examples of his amazing talents.

I'd like to end by highlighting an obscure song ("Thendral ennum thear eari") sung by Madhu in the obscure 2006 movie "Paasa Killigal". The music was composed by the amazing Vidhyasagar in the rare Naasika Bhooshani raga. Madhu's singing is out of this world. His jadhis are really breath-taking. I haven't stopped listening to this song since I first heard it a month ago. Here's a link:

http://mio.to/yio7

Madhu has received a Tamilnadu State award and a Kalaimamani but the national award has eluded him. Plus MDs like AR Rehman, who have introduced lesser talents, haven't noticed him. After listening to the "Thendral ennum thear eari song", I am more and more convinced that this singer hasn't received his due and the film music world is losing out by sidestepping him. Thankfully, Madhu is recognised as one of the top singers in the Malayalam film world.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very True

His rendition of "Pichai Pathiram" from the movie "Naan Kadavul"
    I thought would surely garner the attention/kudos it deserved...

The first song that made me take notice of his singing was "Ding Dong Kovil Mani" from Ji

http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=22277

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    மது பாலகிருஷ்ணன் has sung for ஸ்ரீ .இளையராஜா in பிதாமகன்...பிறையே பிறையே...strings and echo flute .

I listen to his மலையாளம் cinema .

ariyuvanaay athillenikkeppozhum......
    engu ninnu vanna panchavarnna kili....Debojyoti Mishra

Muthe ninne kandittinnen ullil .... with சுஜாதா
    swapnakoodu ...group song
    Mandaarappoo moolee kaathil thaimaasam ...கல்யாணி மெலடி..vinodayatra ...மலையாளம் with ஸ்வேதா
    manassiloru poomaala
    I love you love you
    koruthuvachchathaaraanu
    you love me love me
    manichikaala maanu poomeeno - மலையாளம் composition for இளையராஜா with ஸ்வேதா ..ragam kirwani
    கனா கண்டேனடி தோழி கனா கண்டேனடி.....ஆனந்த பைரவி from வித்யாசாகர்.
    என் சுவாசத்தில் காதலின் வாசம் வீச வைத்ததாரோ.....with கல்யாணி is my favorite
    இளையராஜா rehashed his tune oru chiri.....tune in PACHAKKUTHIRA.
    varavelkkumo en raaja kumaari
    varavelkumo en raaja kumaari
    nin mizhiyil minnum sharaanthalumaayi....Madhu Balakrishnan, Jyotsna.

vinatha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup; Madhu's Malayalam songs, right from his award-winning "Amme Amme" are awesome. I love his "Chentharmizhi", "Engu ninnu" (Calcutta News), "Ariyathey vannu", "Mathuoorum en azhageh", "Kaalam priyamathura kaalam", "Nee yenteh", and "Vasantha nilavin" (Sooryan -- an Ilaiyaraja composition), Varavelkumo (Ilaiyaraja), among others. His song from Neelambari, the classically-oriented "Anuradha", is another testament to his immense talents.

As for his other Tamil songs that I adore, these include: Piraye piraye, which Querida highlighted, Mozhi illaamaleh, Yen swasathil (Jerry), Pillai thamarai, Isaiyin meethu, Aalaapanai, Ding dong, Nenjukulleh nenjukulleh. Another awesome melody from Madhu is the theme song from "Thavamai Thavamirundhu", which he sings with Sudha Raghunadhan and Sarath.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This man's best till date is "pichai paathiram'. Soulful rendition!!
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out this website for what appears to be a full list of his Tamil songs.

www.madhubalakrishnan.net

The Malayalam song list is still under construction, it appears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please also check out the theme song from Thavamai Thavamirundhu. Amazing singing:

http://mio.to/hkhO

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pichai paathiram is too good...

And he was lovely in konja nEram konja nEram in Chandramuki (Oldie Asha spoils the songs quite a bit though).