• Scintillating Seventies - Light & Semi-Classical

3 5.00%
  • Scintillating Seventies - Advent of WCM Technical Depth

4 6.67%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Early 80's fusion

30 50.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Mid 80's Auto-Pilot Smooth orhcestration

15 25.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - back to folk in the late 80's(Ramarajan etc)

2 3.33%
  • New Age Nineties - Early 90's classics(Devar Magan, Ejamaan etc)

3 5.00%
  • New Age Nineties - The Malayalam Majesty

1 1.67%
  • Maestro's Magic - 2000's

1 1.67%
Page 52 of 347 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Raja's Gems - the latest one you heard...Part 3

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Que,
    Thanks for the nice pick.

SPB and SJ - ivanga rendition - paalil vizhundha pazham madhiri.,....

edhanala - edhuku sweet nu , pirichu parka mudiyadha madhiri
    Usha Sankar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    dhUrathil nAn kaNda - nizhalgal
    @
    vennellO gOdhari andham - sithAra

Latter got a natl award for S Janaki.
    The passages from
    kAdhal enum gItham pAdi urugum
    oru bEdhaiyAna mIra
    to
    aadum kAtrilE pudhu rAgam thOndrumO

The way in which the swaras escalate, twist, turn - will make MSV proud.

kAdhal enum gItham pAdi urugum
    oru bEdhaiyAna mIra
    This line reeks of dhaabam and the helplessness of untold love
    vELai varum bOdhu vandhu kAkkum
    karam kAkkum endru
    vINai mIttum dEvi uLLamE...
    Hope springs eternal- and so does the tune
    thIrAdha AsaiyOdum
    thALadha dhAgathOdum
    kAlai mAlai pUjai seidhum
    kEtkavillaiyA?
    Swara Escalation that I was talking about. A demanding change in the voice and the tune - how the hell can you ignore my intense devotion. That last kEtkavillaiyA literally stands up and questions

kanavu pOla vAzhvil endhan...kavalai yAvum mAra vEndum
    half-request, half-demand
    kanavu pOla vAzhvil endhan...kavalai yAvum mAra vEndum
    Now, escaclation of voice and tune - half-demand, half-request - not the change in order

irakkamum karuNaiyum unakkillaiyO?
    again, a festering, accusing question

nALum enai ALum thuNai nIyE ena vAzhvEn
    Ultra escalation in the swaras now. This is a statement of intent. Heck, I worship you and I shall. Try stopping me...
    maRavEn, maRavEn, maRavEn
    Further accelaration. Final Declaration
    un ninaivugaL en manadhinil
    uRavin perumai maRavEn
    varum dhinam varum adhil
    uRavugaL kalappadhum oru sugam
    Definitive, adamant, no-holds-barred

Now, having declared intent, longing, frustration, angst, yearning, there is the relief of having vented and the tune takes a slow detour.

vAnamum mEgamum pOlavE....
    vAnamum mEgamum pOlavE....
    nIndhiya kAlangaL Ayiram
    reminiscience of what was - reflective with a wistful sigh and the tune takes a detour that does capture this
    mEgam kalaindha vAnil thanimai
    indru nAn kaNdadhum uNmaiyE..
    Wistful Sigh

dhinam azhaithEn....prabu unaiyE...
    A desparate, feeble reiteration of the plea - the beauty is the plea is reiterated but having vented a long plea just now with intensity, this is a feeble one

Adum kAtrilE pudhu rAgam thONdrumO..
    resigned acceptance and a feeble hope...
    ..bridge to the pallavi.

Tour-de-force of a song and paints an emotional landscape with mind numbing details - just the sort of music that I like and relish.

Interestingly, the telugu song, OTOH, suddenly loses steam near the end and the some of the rapturing detours in the last are not retained.

While S Janaki got the NA for the telugu version, I am astounded at the tamil version which actually is a longer, more rewarding one with additional tune bursts.

Heck, this is what I listen to music for - drain me emotionally and make me live through the emotional capture of a heart frozen in time.
    And that aspect, and when I say this it is not a typical fanboy statement in this case, Only IR Fossible

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, I havent listened to the song physically for some time. Just mind-la recapture paNNinadhukkE Emotional Drain Agi pOchu - Raja

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    Plum,

For a minute I thought you had written that KRV resembled 'selai kattiya ther' !!! Let us before thumburu comes here
    Aiyyoo Sureshji, Iam nowhere close to being a KRV fan. But Iam still ok with that saree clad , yet agile and "maadern maami" in her , running up and down the streams and mountains all for her putthar , for the evergreen “mazhai varuvadhu mayilukku”. But “thiru theril varum malaiyo ? ” !!! Iam blessed to have not seen the video till date and all you guys have said enough to last for a life time.
    Now, coming to the song, that jingling bells and flute response to them in the prelude prelude always sends a chill of excitement down me. A great Mohanam with 2 major nitpicks. One is already cried over and the other one is the jarring offkey singing of a high note by surprisingly the greatest singer of our times PS.
    அவரும் ஒரு வேளை அன்த அம்மணியோட "maadern dress" visuals பார்த்து பயன்து போயிட்டாரொ என்னவோ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thumburu
    அவரும் ஒரு வேளை அன்த அம்மணியோட "maadern dress" visuals பார்த்து பயன்து போயிட்டாரொ என்னவோ?[/tscii]

Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,

I was about to write that I don't have the physical song with me right now and I am listening to it in mind voice, when I saw you have already said that same. "aadum kaatrile.." What a way to join the pallavi again. Wonderful writeup. I think the last time you wrote such a lengthy writeup was for the Maharishi song, 'sumam prati sumam' I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    sureshji,
    I knew you would respond and I sort of had a premonition that you will recall the Maharshi write-up.

nAn ezhudharadhaiyEllAm correctA gnAbagam vechurukkIngaLEnnu nenaikkum bOdhu...

Yeah, the song overwhelmed me suddenly. I dont even remember how it started playing in my mind all of a sudden today.

Oh I love these idle pleasures - so glad to have such songs securely stored in corners of the mind and bursting forth spontaneously all of a sudden. Recently, I haven't been listening to much music physically . Somehow, I seem to have reached a stage where I yearn for no more from IR. It seems like he has filled me enough with music that I dont even need to listen physically to please myself anymore. I don't mind sounding like Abbas in Padayappa - What a man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,
    Great write-up!

தூரத்தில் நான் கண்ட உன் முகம் - ராசாவின் பாடல்களிலேயே கொஞ்சம் அரிதான வகை. ஜானகி அருமையாக அதற்கு உயிர் கொடுத்திருக்கிறார்!

மனதில் உறுதி வேண்டும் படத்தின் "கண்ணா வருவாயா" பாட்டும் இதே "வகை" என்று தோன்றுகிறது. (ஒப்பீடாக அல்ல, வகைப்படுத்தலில் ஏதோ உறவு இருப்பதாக எனக்குத்தோன்றுகிறது. பலமுறை மனதில் ப்ளே செய்யும் போது ரெண்டும் வந்து குழம்பும்).

Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,

Looks like we are all getting old and very predictable now

I can understand how you feel. Sometime I also get tired when I hear an hitherto unheard album and there are many gems in there. When will we finish? is the question I keep asking myself. Then I relax a bit and start digging again. Atleast I am sure treasure is guaranteed

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    Plum,
    Great write-up!

தூரத்தில் நான் கண்ட உன் முகம் - ராசாவின் பாடல்களிலேயே கொஞ்சம் அரிதான வகை. ஜானகி அருமையாக அதற்கு உயிர் கொடுத்திருக்கிறார்!

மனதில் உறுதி வேண்டும் படத்தின் "கண்ணா வருவாயா" பாட்டும் இதே "வகை" என்று தோன்றுகிறது. (ஒப்பீடாக அல்ல, வகைப்படுத்தலில் ஏதோ உறவு இருப்பதாக எனக்குத்தோன்றுகிறது. பலமுறை மனதில் ப்ளே செய்யும் போது ரெண்டும் வந்து குழம்பும்).
    The song is a masterpiece and plum has provided a wonderful perspective on that. The swara transition - I would not know much about that, but from an extreme layman's point of view, it took me 3 to 4 times to understand the full song. coz everytime I heard that song, it sounded different to me - like a chameleon among songs and it continues to evolve (atleast for me). It is a pity that it was not picturized in the movie and went and joined the ranks of puththambudhu kaalai - immortal but never born on screen.
    On another note, I think it is a wise move by not picturizing it as it lays out those emotions in a more obvious manner that a film maker might not prefer to in a song sequence.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal