• Scintillating Seventies - Light & Semi-Classical

3 5.00%
  • Scintillating Seventies - Advent of WCM Technical Depth

4 6.67%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Early 80's fusion

30 50.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Mid 80's Auto-Pilot Smooth orhcestration

15 25.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - back to folk in the late 80's(Ramarajan etc)

2 3.33%
  • New Age Nineties - Early 90's classics(Devar Magan, Ejamaan etc)

3 5.00%
  • New Age Nineties - The Malayalam Majesty

1 1.67%
  • Maestro's Magic - 2000's

1 1.67%
Page 3 of 347 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Raja's Gems - the latest one you heard...Part 3

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listening to 'paartha vizhi paatha padi' after ArvindMano posted the song in his facebook page.

This one has class written all over it right from the start. The drums and the cymbal sounding together and the rhythm going in a sort of asymmetric fashion before the 'andhadhi' chant begins. What a tune for that !!! With that ending in 'saranam saranam', the conch gets blown and the rhythm changes. Jesudas enters with his majestic voice. And how is it that you can pack so much melody and emotion such that it tells a tale in just four lines!!! Once Jesudas finishes those 4 lines, the anadhadi is sung and then KJY sings an octave above before the drums and cymbals take over for a lovely climax. Beyond doubt this can only be composed by someone who knows his Tamil, knows Tamil bakthi literature and knows exactly what the story needs.

This is one song I would point to anyone who asks me why we cling to Raja so much and why it is difficult to accept other pretenders to the throne.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    Listening to 'paartha vizhi paatha padi' after ArvindMano posted the song in his facebook page.

This one has class written all over it right from the start. The drums and the cymbal sounding together and the rhythm going in a sort of asymmetric fashion before the 'andhadhi' chant begins. What a tune for that !!! With that ending in 'saranam saranam', the conch gets blown and the rhythm changes. Jesudas enters with his majestic voice. And how is it that you can pack so much melody and emotion such that it tells a tale in just four lines!!! Once Jesudas finishes those 4 lines, the anadhadi is sung and then KJY sings an octave above before the drums and cymbals take over for a lovely climax. Beyond doubt this can only be composed by someone who knows his Tamil, knows Tamil bakthi literature and knows exactly what the story needs.

This is one song I would point to anyone who asks me why we cling to Raja so much and why it is difficult to accept other pretenders to the throne.

Suresh,

Bombay Jayashree had commented on this particular composition long back,when she said that she was inspired to elaborate on Paavani ragam after hearing this composition.
    I searched and got that thread, which was posted years ago..

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=7988

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajasaranam
    Just listened to the over hyped album of the year and got pissed off, Later... Only after listening to songs from Aditya 369, Anjali, Nirnayam and few other futuristic songs of Raaja, I got relieved off the stress from earlier listening to the unimaginative songs of Oscar composer
    This is precisely what I hate about many Raja fans here. And why I don't post in this section though I am sir's fan. Why cant they shut up and post just about sir's songs? Idhula oscar stomach burn vera.. idhellaam thEvaiyaa

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aathangarai Mettorama - PJ and SJ - Pattanam pogalam vaa

Bhageshri , madhyamavathi - rendu raagamum irukara madhiri thonudhae?

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.ph...R00483&lang=en
    Usha Sankar

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber raajarasigan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    viraajan,

Lovely song. I personal listen to the Malayalam version. Rarely to the Tamil version. I unfortunately have the Hindi version. Horrible to say the least.

'Kaalapani' is an album for ages. Outstanding melodies and outstanding orchestration in each and every song.
    Suresh, Yes.. it is an album with outstanding orchestration... I have NOT heard the original version but only tamil version....

Semboove
    Suttum Sudar Vizhi
    Mannan Koorai
    Aalolangili...
    Ithu Thai pirandha

Last but NOT the least, the BGM...

this film's score can easily be the text book for composing in a period film....
    IR / KH / Sujatha / Bala / BC Lara / Curtly Ambrose

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh, the hindi version of maarikoottinuLLil is quite good. The lyrics, though cheesy, arent as eye-poppingly bad as other dubbed lyrics.

Post Thanks / Like
    The situation for the thOgai song itself was novel for the point of time. IIRC, only Madras had TV then, while some parts of south TN could get (at times grainy and at times fine) roopavAhini from Srilanka. DD was in the process of installing dishes in big towns - but they relayed only Delhi programs and not Chennai). So, the heroine getting a chance through her "connections" for the hero to sing in TV was a "new situation" for Thamizh movies

R Sundarrajan's situation should have inspired IR to make a "made for AIR / DD" kind of number - i.e. one that sounds like 'mellisai' on surface but having tremendous musical ingradients embedded

தோகை இளமயில் (பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை) பாடல் வரிகள் :

பல்லவி:

தோகை இளமயில் ஆடி வருகுது வானில் மழை வருமோ?
    கோதை இவள் விழி நூறு கவிதைகள் நாளும் எழுதிடுமோ?

தேன் சிந்தும் நேரம், நான் பாடும் ராகம் காற்றோடு கல்யாணம் செய்கின்றதோ?

சரணம் 1:
    கோலம் போடும் நாணங்கள் காணாத ஜாலம்
    இதழ்களிலே பௌர்ணமி வெளிச்சம்
    கண்ணில் தோன்றும் ஜாலங்கள் கார்கால மேகம்
    இமைப் பறவை சிறகுகள் அசைக்கும்
    விழிகளிலே காதல் விழா நடத்துகிறாள் சாகுந்தலா
    அன்னமும் இவளிடம் நடை பழகும்
    இவள் நடை அசைவினில் சங்கீதம் உண்டாகும்

சரணம் 2:
    பூமி எங்கும் பூந்தோட்டம் நான் காண வேண்டும்
    புதுத் தென்றலும் பூக்களில் வசிக்கும்
    ஆகாய மேகங்கள் நீரூற்ற வேண்டும்
    அந்த மழையில் மலர்களும் குளிக்கும்
    அருவிகளோ ராகம் தரும் அதில் நனைந்தால் தாகம் வரும்
    தேவதை விழியிலே அமுத அலை
    கனவுகள் வளர்த்திடும் கள்ளூறும் உன் பார்வை.

Post Thanks / Like
    digression

In the last few pages of the part#2 of 'last IR song' thread, I posted about IR's hit rate year after year, after looking at thiraippAdal's yearly lists, following the 1979 post by jaiganes (which possibly also led us to the poll in this part#3 thread).

And today, I stumbled on this interesting blog with statistics (just the # of movies) graphs of MSV/IR/ARR and comparing the hit tunes to mining of energy resources

Though I don't agree to the comparisons, I think the blogger has a point

end-digression

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    The situation for the thOgai song itself was novel for the point of time. IIRC, only Madras had TV then, while some parts of south TN could get (at times grainy and at times fine) roopavAhini from Srilanka. DD was in the process of installing dishes in big towns - but they relayed only Delhi programs and not Chennai). So, the heroine getting a chance through her "connections" for the hero to sing in TV was a "new situation" for Thamizh movies

R Sundarrajan's situation should have inspired IR to make a "made for AIR / DD" kind of number - i.e. one that sounds like 'mellisai' on surface but having tremendous musical ingradients embedded

தோகை இளமயில் (பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை) பாடல் வரிகள் :

பல்லவி:

தோகை இளமயில் ஆடி வருகுது வானில் மழை வருமோ?
    கோதை இவள் விழி நூறு கவிதைகள் நாளும் எழுதிடுமோ?

தேன் சிந்தும் நேரம், நான் பாடும் ராகம் காற்றோடு கல்யாணம் செய்கின்றதோ?

சரணம் 1:
    கோலம் போடும் நாணங்கள் காணாத ஜாலம்
    இதழ்களிலே பௌர்ணமி வெளிச்சம்
    கண்ணில் தோன்றும் ஜாலங்கள் கார்கால மேகம்
    இமைப் பறவை சிறகுகள் அசைக்கும்
    விழிகளிலே காதல் விழா நடத்துகிறாள் சாகுந்தலா
    அன்னமும் இவளிடம் நடை பழகும்
    இவள் நடை அசைவினில் சங்கீதம் உண்டாகும்

சரணம் 2:
    பூமி எங்கும் பூந்தோட்டம் நான் காண வேண்டும்
    புதுத் தென்றலும் பூக்களில் வசிக்கும்
    ஆகாய மேகங்கள் நீரூற்ற வேண்டும்
    அந்த மழையில் மலர்களும் குளிக்கும்
    அருவிகளோ ராகம் தரும் அதில் நனைந்தால் தாகம் வரும்
    தேவதை விழியிலே அமுத அலை
    கனவுகள் வளர்த்திடும் கள்ளூறும் உன் பார்வை.
    The beauty of the song in my opinion lies in the conversation between guitar and veenai (with flute backup). Such conversations between instruments coming from different traditions are very rare to find in film music and here it is happening effortlessly and entering out hearts easily as a breeze entering a house with lot of open windows.
    Initially it was all SPB magic for me when I heard the song, then the nice lyrics, but the sweet meat is the stuff done in the interludes - for they tell a tale of their own, a song to be cherished with eyes closed, head phones tight and with a wish that time slows down in the interludes to keep the instruments at play longer. It is one of those songs for which the smart guys invented the "Rewind" button in cassette players.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    someone has to write about the guitar in this song. Though not as "eye popping" as the "ILaya nila", nevertheless has a special beauty to it...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tanapp#p.../5/o0_qhXoOwpI

The rush one gets in the interludes is indescribable.
    <Expletive> Such beauty with precision, how is this conceived?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Page 3 of 347 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast