• Scintillating Seventies - Light & Semi-Classical

3 5.00%
  • Scintillating Seventies - Advent of WCM Technical Depth

4 6.67%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Early 80's fusion

30 50.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Mid 80's Auto-Pilot Smooth orhcestration

15 25.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - back to folk in the late 80's(Ramarajan etc)

2 3.33%
  • New Age Nineties - Early 90's classics(Devar Magan, Ejamaan etc)

3 5.00%
  • New Age Nineties - The Malayalam Majesty

1 1.67%
  • Maestro's Magic - 2000's

1 1.67%
Page 203 of 347 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253303 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 3468

Thread: Raja's Gems - the latest one you heard...Part 3

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_Sji, I finally found the Telugu version of Vaa nAlukku nAl (that we'd discussed a while back). The song starts off 'ee vayasannadhi' (listed as Brathukantha Judam) from the movie mAngalya Bandham (http://www.cinemelody.com/Labels/Sum...s-Download.htm)
    Raagas/Suresh65/Plum, any dope on this movie?

//where the heck's the hyperlink feature gone? and the add pic/video? Mods )//

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    KV,
    Thanks. Just the mention of the song triggered the wild trumpets. Addictive song! I think the link for brathukantha judam (ee vayasannadhi) was removed from the page, so unable to listen. Surprising that this song was added to film MAngalya Bhandham which is Naan Paadum Paadal's telugu version. Yes would like to know more from Sureshji, raagas and Plum.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sunil_M88's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Please bring in "Maestro's roaring 2010s" in the polls.
    I second V_S ji here. Though initially I was gaga over Ananamar kathai, but now my Raaja saab Tamil song of the year nomination vote goes to Enna pol. Hands down Thandavakone is one of the best albums this decade has witnessed as of now. I still hear this album on a daily basis

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Suresh and V_S. You gentlemen are great writers. I just mentioned some things I just read about.
    Just wanted to mention one song which has some personal relevance for me. I heard this first time on my first international flight to the US on Singapore Airlines. Pretty impressed in listening to my own language on an international carrier. The song sounded pretty modern to me at that time (and I think it is still cool). If you think about it all the hit songs of IR have a unique "rhythm arrangement". This term became much more popular from 90s onwards I think. There is a switch to tabla in the charanams with a scale change (?).Mano is not necessarily my favorite singer. His voice seems to lack that depth. But having heard him recently on a TV show he seems to have matured as a singer and the voice is much more "open". Somehow, what in tamil grammar is referred to as 'irattaik kiLavi' (eg, kala kal, sala/sala etc) based lines in songs makes them more groovy. Enjoy the kala kalakkum maniyOsai at http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.ph...R00126&lang=en

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listened to from Pootatha Pootukkal sung by SJ. A song that wonderfully depicts the jubilant mood of a husband-wife expecting a child. This feeling is prevalent in each and every second of the song and that's what makes this special. You would just be filled with an inexplicable joy after listening to this number.

Have anyone watched this Mahendran movie? It had Malayalam actor Jayan as the lead.

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KV View Post
    V_Sji, I finally found the Telugu version of Vaa nAlukku nAl (that we'd discussed a while back). The song starts off 'ee vayasannadhi' (listed as Brathukantha Judam) from the movie mAngalya Bandham (http://www.cinemelody.com/Labels/Sum...s-Download.htm)
    Raagas/Suresh65/Plum, any dope on this movie?
    No idea about this. I myself discovered this song only 5 years ago!
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The mind loops back two decades to the weekend mornings, dimply lit by the then, shy Bangalore sun that always seemed to hide behind blinds of clouds, meekly peeping and showing its face only occasionally. Weekends in primary/middle schooling meant holidays on both, Sat and Sun, a relief that most kids beyond high school yearn to get back. And weekend as kids also meant ‘oil-bath’, time for lazing, loosening up and cooling down oneself, though, even such occasions for luxury needed a lot of coaxing into for many bratty kids. More often than not, my grandma would volunteer to take charge. I wasn’t really a brat, but that wouldn’t stop my grandma from giving me perks for allowing her to help me relax. Can affection be showered any better?
    Bangalore, then, being much cooler normally than what it is nowadays, would usually render the coconut oil thickened and even almost solidified. Scooping out two spoons of it from the stainless steel container (no Parachute/branded oil then; was bought ‘in loose’ from the local grocery store), my grandma would heat the oil it in a small steel cup; the viscous white fluid melting into a glistening transparent liquid. Then came the special part, the bonus. She’d put a little of the heated oil in a tiny frying pan and throw in a handful of raw rice, pepper and tulasi leaves and fry them till the rice turned golden brown. Now, this isn’t some herbal treatment for the skin, but rather strangely, a bath-time snack. Yes, you heard me right; this was something to munch on while the body was being smeared and massaged with the heated oil. All along she would hum songs – her perennial favorites Raadha samedha Krishna and Chinna Kannan azhaikkiraan - her honey soaked voice not missing a note even though her hands were busy working the oil on her grandson while also keeping a check on the temperature of the water filling up in the bucket. All that I had to do was sit and let myself unwind, munching on the cripsy rice and Thulasi leaves, as the oil smoothly soaked me up and seeped in, her silky singing echoing in the background – a princely life.

“Meeting and parting are illusions, separation is the real truth.” – OV Vijayan, in ‘The Airport’.

My grandma is no more; she passed away four years back. Shadowing the sadness, a sense of pain, guilt and shame takes over, thinking of the troubles I’d given her as a kid, the tricks and pranks that I’d played on her. But the happier moments and sweet memories linger on and soothes the pain, temporarily at least. I childishly long for the warmth and affection of my grandma and grandpa though I know I will never get it again, ever. Shine on, paatti, thaatha; bless us.

This morning, on the way to office, I happened to listen to ‘Unnai pattri sonnaal’ from Maththiya Chennai. The soft, silky tune that glides effortlessly and the lively bass and drums that keep rhythm brought back memories of the heated coconut oil and crispy rice and Thulasi leaves. I could momentarily sense the warmth and cuddle of my grandma. Thanks Raaja.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    kiru,
    Great song shared. Very enjoyable post. Please write frequently sir.

KV,
    Very poetic and a very moving post. Started off with your carefree weekend kid life with your utmost love and care by your grandma. You broke my heart when you said about grandma's passing away. Very sad and sorry to hear about your grandma.

Wonderfully linked and finished with an appropriate song which is just a feather touch. KV you too please write frequently.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic posts, kiru & KV!

brought back memories of the heated coconut oil and crispy rice and Thulasi leaves
    KV,
    Your above post brought back memories of my strong refusals to eNNaikkuLiyal to mom She had her way anyways...it was gingelly (sesame) oil and fried garlics in my case. Yes, those garlics were extremely tasty

There's going to be some theory-ist who'll connect such upbringing to liking rAsA songs

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    KV .. what an idyllic childhood. crisp narration ..you were fortunate. The coconut oil freezing is really a good indicator of the temperature/seasons, I guess. This used to happen in my hometown in TN as well (whether this global warming is real or not.. we are surely reducing green cover in the country) especially during the maargazhi months. Yes, it was cold as well, when women in the streets walked with wet clothes to the corner amman temple early in the morning. As app mentions, it is sesame oil (that once the tamil country exported to Egypt aeons ago !!) in TN. If I remember there are two times a year you cannot miss the eNNaikkuLiyal - one diwali and another boghi (right ?). And I heard a bit song on boghi done well in daLapathi this morning .. http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.ph...R00627&lang=en

(BTW, thanks guys for encouraging me to write. These days I take the train to work and listen on headphones along the way. So the reason for my posts here)