• Scintillating Seventies - Light & Semi-Classical

3 5.00%
  • Scintillating Seventies - Advent of WCM Technical Depth

4 6.67%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Early 80's fusion

30 50.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Mid 80's Auto-Pilot Smooth orhcestration

15 25.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - back to folk in the late 80's(Ramarajan etc)

2 3.33%
  • New Age Nineties - Early 90's classics(Devar Magan, Ejamaan etc)

3 5.00%
  • New Age Nineties - The Malayalam Majesty

1 1.67%
  • Maestro's Magic - 2000's

1 1.67%
Page 101 of 347 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 3468

Thread: Raja's Gems - the latest one you heard...Part 3

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listening to K J Yesudas solo Malayalam hits or I would say listening only to first song in this list. அரிகே அரிகே என்னாகிலும் எத்ர தூரம் எத்ர தூரம் (Dooram Arike 1980). I could not go past this song. This one kills me like anything. Just that prelude guitar piece and the guitar piece at the end of first interlude is enough for me to put it in loop. How could he freak out with guitar for a pathos song without spoiling the feel of the song? Only Maestro fossible (stealing hub's most admired word!).
    The prelude starts similar to Nenjathai Killaathe title theme, but the way guitar is played in the middle feels like someone is breaking it . Never heard such amazing guitar work, everytime how can he play differently. The first interlude starts off with a phaser, but I thought there is no place for guitar then, but suddenly for few moments guitar is played which is totally different from the actual flow, but totally in sync. The same is played at the end of interlude which is the most fascinating part to me in the whole song.

Coming to the rendering, When KJY goes to lower octaves (please observe when he sings "Arike Arike" and "Ee IruL", his voice sounds like never heard before, very very sweet. Normally lower octaves does not register to many singers. Even if it registers, it will not be sounding as beautiful as KJY's. Beautiful tune and interludes with that magical touch of meloncholy violin, Mesmerizing song!. In fact, all songs in this film are outstanding.

Recommended to listen to a good quality rather than this youtube link to appreciate it better, especially the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ram+arike&aq=f (all songs from this film - first five links)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    V S,
    Neenga sonna paatai kaetadhu ilai.. But

One word about Raja's Guitar is - Raja's Guitar Has the feelings..... expresses the Mood.........
    Usha Sankar

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks V_S for reminding me of this lovely song. Probably a song not heard much. Thanks for the youtube link. Will check it out now.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_S What a find! very fine write up as well. Thank you for sharing

Btw who is that gracing your avatar?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Querida,
    Thanks. He is Duke Ellington, the famous Jazz composer and pianist, who wrote around 1000 compositions. For more details, please visit this site, one of my favorite musician of all time.
    http://www.dukeellington.com/
    Last edited by V_S; 10th February 2011 at 08:37 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    காவிரியே கவிக்குயிலே கண்மணியே வா வா
    (அடுத்த வாரிசு)

IR possibly got a set of new toys when composing for this movie and tried out the "special effects" and the songs were quite trendy. (pEsakkoodAdhu being the best number IMO).

The rhythm arrangement of this song takes one from wherever he is and throws into a boat effortlessly. The most enjoyable part is the concluding pallavi - SPB thoroughly enjoying himself!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coincidence !
    Recently listened with keen interest, the two famous boat/ship courtship songs “kaaviriye kavikuyile” and “varudhu varudhu iLam kaatru” . The former has louder row rythms and the later has that incessant steamer rhythm .
    I particularly love the wafting effect when Janaki sings the lines
    “poonkaatru thaalaatta thaaLaadha mogam
    Theeraadha dhagangaL theeramal theerum” – her voice quivers with the sea wind.
    In “varudhu varudhu”, it’s the intricate flute twirl in something like Hamsadhwani that leads up to the soaring Janaki’s “oorai chutrum … “ second charanam start.
    Raja’s songs are generously littered with such wonders that I can savour life long.
    The songs I can unwind a long week with.
    Last edited by thumburu; 11th February 2011 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please don't hit me but I haven't either of the songs that were mentioned by app or thumburu. And both never go wrong in their taste. So can someone kindly tell me which movie is the 'varudhu varudhu ilam katru' from so that I can listen to it immediately?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    I haven't either of the songs that were mentioned by app or thumburu.

'kAviriyE' is from aduththa vArisu, the album is an absolute treat and was novel / fresh when it arrived. Rajinikanth / Sridevi movie, how you could miss a Sridevi movie BTW?
    http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.ph...R00021&lang=en

'varudhu varudhu' is from brammA, I think, heard once or twice, didn't get a chance to dwell upon the song.
    http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.ph...R00078&lang=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question app but in those days we didn't get all the Sreedevi movies in Hyd. Ofcourse I have heard 'paesakoodadhu' a zillion times but never this song. Thanks for the link. Shall listen now.