Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mrs. Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies - Part 3

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Ragi Idiyappam

Dear Mrs.Mano ( and Attnr):
    I prepared Ragi idiyappam that came out as separate strings. I used the fine hole press and the dough was easier to press than the regular rice dough.

I used the ragi that was roasted and ground to a flour - brought back from India.

The rice flour(store bought) was dry roasted and added in the ratio 7:1 instead of 8:1 with boiling water was added.

Maybe we should try dry frying the store bought ragi flour for this. Can you let us know your opinion Mrs.Mano? And may I request suitable sides too?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mrs. Mano,

Made the Chicken Tomato gravy for dinner last night. It was very tasty. We had it with chappatis, but i think it would have been even better with idlis, dosas etc, as they could have really soaked in the gravy. But delicious nonetheless. Thanks!

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Dev,
    This is a recipe for Gun POwder podi with lots of garlic, posted by Hemant ages back. Wonder if it fits your bill.

QUICK-FIX LUNCH POSTING # 14
    Anyone who has ever taken Andhra Meals in a Genuine Andhra Restaurant, would be served with Gun Powder with Rice and Ghee.The most beautiful thing about GunPowder Rice is, the more you have it, the hungrier you become.Keep Gun Powder prepared in your house and I bet you will get addicted to having Gun Powder Rice almost daily.I have seen people just having Gun powder rice and almost nothing else.Go ahead and try out.One of the Most Addicted person is my son who would not refuse it all the 365 days.The condition is, THE RICE MUST BE STEAMING AND THE GHEE SHOULD BE HOT.
    INGREDIENTS (For Gun Powder)
    Puffed Channa Grams(oduchhu kadalai) 350 gms
    Red Chillies 10 to 15 nos
    Garlic 75 to 100 gms
    Ghee 2 to 3 spoons
    Salt to taste (2 tsp)
    METHOD OF PREPARATION
    Take a kadai and fry red chillies for just 30 seconds lightly.Add Puffed Grams with Chillies and fry/roast for about five minutes in Ghee.The condition is that the grams should leave all the moisture and chillies must be dry.Add peeled Garlic and turn three or four times, add salt , mix properly and set aside to cool.
    When cold, powder it in a mixi.Sift the Gun powder to remove hard Gram particles.At this stage taste for salt.Powder the hard portion last.The powder should NOT be like maida.Fill it up in a dry glass bottle with wide mouth.Keeps good for months.
    Prepare rice as usual up to your need.The rice is going to be served steaming so you must cook with minimum needed water.
    Serve rice which is steaming.Add two spoons of Ghee on top of rice and add required GUN POWDER on top.Mix and enjoy!!!
    This rice must be eaten while really hot.The rice may feel dry to eat with Gun Powder but surprisingly it will not stick to your chest or throat.The more you eat, the hungrier you will become.
    So Go and Get Hooked to this Andhra Wonder.!!!
    After Ghee Rice, I am sure that this will draw maximum response.!!
    Ps.
    Fix number of chillies as per your ability to withstand hotness.But I recommand that you must stick to specified quantity.
    please do not brown the Kadalai. Kadalai should be just pink and that too light.
    Do not slice the cloves of Garlic.
    Fry only in Ghee please.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Thattai,

Thanks a lot for posting the recipe...I'll try this version as well...It's slightly diff from Kugan's version but even small changes make a huge diff in taste sometimes... Thanks again Thattai...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear cdj!

There is no need to fry the ragi powder. You can straightly mix it with rice flour, oil and hot water. But regarding the rice flour, idiyappam flour which is soaked,dried, ground and steamed is better than the store bought rice flour.
    Are you asking side dishes for it cdj?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Thattai!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on 'Chicken Tomato Gravy"!

Post Thanks / Like

POONDI PODI [for the rice]

Dear Dev!

Here is the recipe for you! If you have earlier mentioned that you wanted “a poondu podi for the rice”, I would have posted this instead of posting the ‘poondu podi for the idlies.” Hope this will meet your requirement!

POONDU PODI [for the rice]

Ingredients:

Bengal gram- ¾ cup
    Tuar dal- ¾ cup
    Gram dal- half cup
    Small garlic flakes- ¼ cup
    Red chillies-10
    Salt to taste
    Gingelly oil- 2 tsp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil.
    First fry the garlic flakes on medium slow fire as I have mentioned for the poondu podi above.
    Take away and keep them on a paper kitchen towel.
    In the same oil fry the dals to golden brown.
    In a drop of oil fry the chillies.
    When cooled grind the chillies to a coarse powder.
    Then add the garlic and run the mixi for a split of second.
    Take away them.
    Now powder the dals.
    Add the ground chillies and garlic with salt.
    Run the mixi for a second.
    Now the poondu podi is ready now.
    Eat with hot steamed rice and melted ghee.

www.muthusidharal.blogspot.com
    www.manoskitchen.blogspot.com

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mrs.Mano,Sorry for not mentioning it.. But mention pannamal vittadhaal engalukku oru bonus recipe kidaichuche!!!... :P

Will try this recipe soon...Gram dhal is pottu kadalai(chutney kadalai) and bengal gram is broken channa dhal(kadalai paruppu we use for seasoning) , right?
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mrs.Mano,
    Yes. I did ask for suitable side dish for Ragi Idiyappam. I served it with tomato kurma.

I prepared your தேங்காய் மசாலா சட்னி. Thanks for a super duper uplift for the regular thengai chutney.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Dev!

Yes, You are right! gram dal is pottukkadalai and bengal gram is kadalaipparuppu!

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast