Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Mrs. Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies - Part 3

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Chithra!

Very beautifully you have conveyed your daughter’s feedback on my curd rice! Thanks a lot for that. Your daughter’s feedback reminds me one another feedback I always get.

In the native place, my sister’s son who is a mentally retarded boy always enjoys my food whenever he comes to eat at my home. He always praises me and urges my sister to learn that recipe. I always value his feedback as a beautiful one!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vanakkam Mrs.Mano.
    How dumb of me. As a mother, I felt the most joy getting such a response from a smart, expressive accelerated learner.

But getting the same response from a differently abled person is something humoungous. Thats something to be treasured. Reading your reply, I felt myself a littled, at the sametime honored that you shared it.

You touch many lives.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mrs.Mano, Wish U a very happy Diwali...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish all the hubbers a very happy diwali!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the warm greetings and I also wish you a very HAPPY DIWALI!!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Diwali Mrs.Mano!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Chithra!

Thanks a lot for the diwali greetings as well as a fantastic reply!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to post a tasty porridge- that is Oats Kunji. Health wise, it is nutritious and good for people with ailments like Diabetes and Hypertension. This is a fine breakfast dish for elders and also good for one year old babies. We can add so many vegetables to our likings. But cauliflower, drumsticks, root vegetables like potato, yam and ladiesfinger are not suitable to add in this kunji. Carrot, peas, baby corn, tomatoes, a little raddish, a little palak, French beans and onions will enhance the taste.

OATS VEGETABLE PORIDGE:

ஓட்ஸ் காய்கறி கஞ்சி

Ingredients:

Oats- 4 to 5 tbsp
    Finely chopped Tomato-1
    Finely chopped onion-half
    Small garlic flakes-5
    Finely Shredded ginger-a pinch
    Finely chopped coriander- 1 tbsp
    Salt to taste
    Oil- 2 tsp
    Fennel seeds or cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
    Turmeric powder- half sp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil.
    Add the fennel or cumin seeds and when they splutter, add the onion with the other vegetables and fry nicely until they are well cooked and the oil floats on top.
    Pour 5 cups of water with enough salt.
    Immediately add the oats.
    Mix well and let it boil for a few minutes until the oats are cooked.
    The delicious oats kunji is ready now!

Variations:

If fennel seeds are used, a few mint leaves can be added when frying the vegetables. It will give a delicious touch. 1 or 2 teaspoons of Shredded coconut can be added in the end. 2 tbsps of coconut milk can be added in the end to give an extra taste. But it is not good for elderly people. Instead of vegetables, cooked chicken pieces can be added along with onion, tomato, garlic, mint and ginger.
    Last edited by Mrs.Mano; 1st November 2011 at 08:14 AM.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Mano View Post
    Dear Ani!

Because of ill health, I could not post an earlier reply.

For one year old baby, you can give the following food varieties. If I can find more, I will again post them for you!!

1. Take a small cube of potato, 1 tsp of shredded carrot, a pea sized beetroot, 1 tsp of chopped keerai, a small piece of chow chow, a small garlic[ to wipe out the gas produced by the food], 1 tsp of green gram, 1 small beans, a small tomato, little coriander leaves and 2tbsp of raw rice or boiled rice in a bowl. Pressure cook them with enough water. Mash them finely with salt and fill in the feeding bottle. You can add the vegetables according to their availability. A very small piece of pumpkin can also be added. But always make it certain to add tomato, potato and carrot in various measurements. These will enhance the taste and the child will like it.

2. There are so many types of sathu maavu varieties. I think you know about it. You can find the recipes in this same mayyam. I think you can find it in an old thread of Kugans. Make the sathu maavu. Pour 1 ½ cups of milk in a pan and add 1 tsp of this powder with enough sugar. Boil well until the maavu is combined with the milk thoroughly and nicely cooked. Pour this in a feeding bottle and give it to the baby.

3. The food must be always warm.

4. Soak 1 tbsp of wheat in a cup of water overnight. In the morning grind the wheat well and squeeze out the milk from it. Boil the milk with jaggery. When it is thickened, put off the fire. It will be like loosened halwa. You can add a pinch of cardamom powder in it when you are cooking. Add few drops of ghee to it. This is a healthiest food for the child. A doctor prescribed this food.

5. Boil an apple and mash it with enough sugar. You can add small pieces of papaya and pear when mashing the fruit. This is a nutritious food for the child.

6. Pressure cook a small potato with a few frozen peas and a small piece of carrot. Mash it finely with a pinch of salt. This you can give twice a week.
    Thank you very much Mano mam...I am glad I get such beautiful and valuable responses even though I come here very rarely..I am missing a lot by not being able to be here on a regular basis. I will try these and get back to you. I did try that wheat recipe once, but without jaggery. so i should try this also next time. I give him dal rice with beans,peas and carrot mostly. So will try out this one.

Today is a holiday in bangalore..planning to try out some simple recipe from this thread if possible.

thanks u once again for the lovely response.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Hi all, we r doing a blog( http://manosdelicacies.blogspot.com/ ) for Mrs.Mano's recipes in mayyam... This is to make searching through recipes easier as the current index of recipes here doesn't work... Hope this blog will be of use to you all...
    Thats so nice of you dev...this is highly useful for people like me who come here rarely.
    Its so easy to go through the list of recipes also due to their classifications.

thank u dev

Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast