Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Mrs. Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies - Part 3

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a recipe that Mrs.Mano asked me to post on her behalf as she has some technical problems posting in the hub...

CURD RICE

தயிர் சாதம்

Many people will think that there is no need for a recipe to prepare the thayir sadham. Simply adding curd to the rice with salt, tempering, green chillies and ginger is ordinary curd rice. To make it delicious, there are a few secrets in it.
    First of all, we must use pressure cooked raw rice. It gives more delicious taste than the kanji removed rice.

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 1 cup
    Slightly sour Curd-3 tbsp
    Fresh curd- 1 cup
    Boiled milk-1 cup
    Salt to taste
    Curry leaves- 1 arc
    Asafoetida- a pea size
    Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
    Chopped green chillies-1
    Chopped ginger- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Pressure cook the rice with 2 1/2 cups of water in the previous night.
    When slightly cooled, mash the rice slightly and then add the sour curd and the milk with enough salt.
    Mix well.
    Keep it covered overnight.
    In the morning, add more curd and the tempering and mix well.
    Add the curry leaves, ginger and the green chillies.
    Keep it for a few hours outside and then the dish can be kept in the fridge for further use.
    This way, you can get very delicious curd rice.

NB: some people add carrot pieces and pomegranate seeds. It can be colourful. But it will not enhance the taste. Chopped pieces of raw mango will enhance the taste.
    Last edited by dev; 3rd October 2011 at 09:01 PM.
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, we r doing a blog( http://manosdelicacies.blogspot.com/ ) for Mrs.Mano's recipes in mayyam... This is to make searching through recipes easier as the current index of recipes here doesn't work... Hope this blog will be of use to you all...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great work Dev!
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kugan98's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hats off to you Dev. Many will benefit from your work.
    I think we must give a title as Blog Queen.
    Thanks and take care. Kugan98
    Chefs are just like children.
    They should be seen not heard.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mrs.Mano,

I am rare participant in this forum. Have been here earlier few times.
    I was last here almost a year back when I was pregnant and wanted some recipe

I now have a son who is one year old now. As I am working and have been unable to find any other option ,
    I have started putting him in day care from last month.
    I have to pack food for him for the whole day, atleast 3 good meals, breakfast, lunch and tiffenitem/snackld for evening.

Since he is growing up and getting aware of things, he is not eating the same mashed plain food that I give him.
    So am planning to give him different foods everyday from now on. For which I am here.

I know how experienced you are.
    I would need your guidance, suggestions ,tips and good recipes for my 1 year old son.

Expecting a positive response

Thanks,
    Ani

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Ani!

Because of ill health, I could not post an earlier reply.

For one year old baby, you can give the following food varieties. If I can find more, I will again post them for you!!

1. Take a small cube of potato, 1 tsp of shredded carrot, a pea sized beetroot, 1 tsp of chopped keerai, a small piece of chow chow, a small garlic[ to wipe out the gas produced by the food], 1 tsp of green gram, 1 small beans, a small tomato, little coriander leaves and 2tbsp of raw rice or boiled rice in a bowl. Pressure cook them with enough water. Mash them finely with salt and fill in the feeding bottle. You can add the vegetables according to their availability. A very small piece of pumpkin can also be added. But always make it certain to add tomato, potato and carrot in various measurements. These will enhance the taste and the child will like it.

2. There are so many types of sathu maavu varieties. I think you know about it. You can find the recipes in this same mayyam. I think you can find it in an old thread of Kugans. Make the sathu maavu. Pour 1 ½ cups of milk in a pan and add 1 tsp of this powder with enough sugar. Boil well until the maavu is combined with the milk thoroughly and nicely cooked. Pour this in a feeding bottle and give it to the baby.

3. The food must be always warm.

4. Soak 1 tbsp of wheat in a cup of water overnight. In the morning grind the wheat well and squeeze out the milk from it. Boil the milk with jaggery. When it is thickened, put off the fire. It will be like loosened halwa. You can add a pinch of cardamom powder in it when you are cooking. Add few drops of ghee to it. This is a healthiest food for the child. A doctor prescribed this food.

5. Boil an apple and mash it with enough sugar. You can add small pieces of papaya and pear when mashing the fruit. This is a nutritious food for the child.

6. Pressure cook a small potato with a few frozen peas and a small piece of carrot. Mash it finely with a pinch of salt. This you can give twice a week.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Vanakkam Mano Madam!
    My son is 20 months old and he suddenly became picky in eating soon after he started going daycare. It was so disheartening to watch him loose weight and legs become very thin. Suddenly an idea blinked and I prepared your SEMOLINA RICE FLAKES PAAYASAM this morning the same way you have directed and added whole milk and jaggery just enough to taste sweet rather than bland. I was so happy when he had his breakfast the usual amount. I was also not guilty that am feeding him something sweet (like cereal/pancake w. maple syrup- Infact it tasted much less sweeter than HBO cereal, but better). As it has wheat, rice, protein(moong & milk), it was not hard to contend myself that its not only a good breakfast but also multigrained with protein & natural sweetener.[Enna Koduma sir idhu?-Ippadi thaan US-la vyabarram panranga!!]

Also I apologize if I have misused your recipe.

For Ani:
    You can try this too as the final testure will be more like Kanji and u can add more aval to make it thick ot add more milk to make it thin. As your son is one year old, he should be able to eat this and smooth on his stomach.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mrs.Mano!
    Just had your Curd rice. It is nothing but delicious. Thank you for being such a provider. The raw mango pieces & the hot green chillies made a difference of heaven. I sent the same with just the tempering for my daughter's school lunch. Will update once I hear from her. I am avid eater, but this rice provides such a satisfaction that I dont want more, the taste still lingering and contentment. We are lucky to have you. Take care of your health.

No meal is exempt in our house from your recipes. Maybe someday, I would be able to teach my daughter how to cook your recipes by mind and soul , without refering the papers/asking the computer.

Thank you again.
    Last edited by cdj; 21st October 2011 at 09:53 PM.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Chithra!

I feel greatly honoured to have your wonderful feedback on curd rice as well as Semolina Aval payasam. New experiments and nice recipes may satisfy a cook's interest. But this kind of feed back only gives great satisfaction, happiness and enthusiasm to a cook's heart and soul. In this way, I heartily thank you very much for such a nice feedback!!! Awaiting for your daughter's approval!!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mrs.Mano,
    Vanakkam.
    Update on your curd rice:
    On friday evening, when I asked her how was that, she replied 'it was good' and continued playing. This morning, she came up and asked if she is having The Curd Rice for lunch and I said no, she didnt say anything but kept quiet. [I am still laughing at her long face when I said no.] After sometime, she came back and asked if I can prepare that for tomorrow's lunch. I said certainly I will and her face was lit up and gave me a huge hug [- and that made me feel that I should've prepared it today].

Thank you again Mrs.Mano for enriching our lives.
    Chitra

Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast