Page 265 of 400 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265266267275315365 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,650 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post

Well, the whole thing ended when her unit got moved to another campus and the bus route changed
    situation song from the da same movie "thEdum kanparvai thavika thudika"
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Builduplaam nalla irundhudhu. Chappunnu mudichittingale app. Ninga romba nallavaru - expecting baroque to comment on this song/tale without fail. Nichayamaa varum paarunga

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Chappunnu mudichittingale app.
    vachchukkittA vanjakam paNROm? uLLadhE ambuttuththAnE

(BTW, I watched this 'ninaivilE ninRavaL' B&W movie on TV last week, starring Ravichandran, Nagesh, Cho, KRV, Manorama.

Lot of hilarious moments.

The most interesting part is Manorama telling this 'vachchukkittA vanjakam paNROm' dialog when Nagesh questions her intelligence)

Post Thanks / Like
    One of our silent hubbers PM-ed me about the 'Hare Radha Hare Krishna' movie of 1986 (Kamal-Sridevi, dubbed from Telugu) and reminded me about those songs.

Unfortunately, I don't remember listening to any of them before and can hardly relate to them / post about them.

I'll have to pass them...if someone had liking for them, please post

Meanwhile, there are a few more SPB-IR numbers from 1986 that I'll need to post about and complete that year...

Post Thanks / Like
    There is this very sweet kAthirundhEn SPB-SJ duet from the same year, from 'dharma paththini'.

Unfortunately, I'm hearing this for the first time and thus don't know whether this was a hit song at all. OTOH, everyone of us know the popularity of the IR-SJ number 'nAn thEdum sevvanthippoovidhu' from the same movie...

So, skippu...

Post Thanks / Like
    There're 3 relatively light-weight songs that will get posted today and then we'll move on to the last album of the year 1986 tomorrow.

That has 2 fantastic SPB numbers which will also get us to the 250 mark this week

Need some help from fellow hubbers to decide which one should be #250 among those two

reNdu viralla onnaiththodunga :

(suttu viral) duet with SJ
    or
    (nadu viral) solo...

BTW, the movie was a remake of a Malayalam movie *ing Mammootty / Nadhiya.

Post Thanks / Like
    #246 ஓ வானம்பாடி
    (சாதனை, 1986 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Whether this movie directed by A S Prakasam (who earlier did 'echchil iravukaL' that had 'poo mEla veesum poongAththe en mEl veesa mAttAya' sweetie in the voices of KJY/VJ) did sAthanai in BO or not is not clear. They used to advertise on radio specifically about IR's music as 'rAsA vada indhiya isaiyil inimai seyyum thiraippadam' followed by 'aththi marappoovidhu' sound clip. Sivaji-Prabhu starrer where NT did the role of a film director and it should have had some decent run (unless the director did an extremely poor job). We need to request Murali sir for more details on that count.

I have heard both this sweet SPB-SJ duet and the SJ solo (aththi marappoovidhu, my favourite) frequently on radio / buses. The MV song 'ingE nAn kaNdEn' was quite popular as well. (I guess that was for NT - going by MV's voice -and the SPB songs were possibly for Prabhu). There are two more SPB-SJ duets - rAja mOhini and vAzhvE vA and I've hardly heard them before and so cannot post about. The songs are quite sweet, however, regardless of their hit status. Either A S Prakasam had good sense of music or rAsA was at his creative peak that nothing could go wrong or IR did put extra effort for the sake of NT-Prabhu combo. Whatever was the reason, the album has many sweet numbers...

Well, per wikipedia, there could be another reason for extra-interest of rAsA :

Ilaiyaraaja also appears in the film as himself.
    Last edited by app_engine; 4th January 2012 at 03:19 AM.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.. lovely posts App for MTK songs ...thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts about the times you spent in Kerala and in Coimbatore as well. Brings back fond memories for me as well.

Inge Naan Kanden is my favorite in Sadhanai and I love O Vanambadi as well. Very sweet album. IR's scene in the film is like him composing a tune for NT who is the director. It came out quite well, I forgot the song though, it could be for O Vanambadi.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    #246 ஓ வானம்பாடி
    (சாதனை, 1986 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Whether this movie directed by A S Prakasam (who earlier did 'echchil iravukaL' that had 'poo mEla veesum poongAththe en mEl veesa mAttAya' sweetie in the voices of KJY/VR) did sAthanai in BO or not is not clear. They used to advertise on radio specifically about IR's music as 'rAsA vada indhiya isaiyil inimai seyyum thiraippadam' followed by 'aththi marappoovidhu' sound clip. Sivaji-Prabhu starrer where NT did the role of a film director and it should have had some decent run (unless the director did an extremely poor job). We need to request Murali sir for more details on that count.

I have heard both this sweet SPB-SJ duet and the SJ solo (aththi marappoovidhu, my favourite) frequently on radio / buses. The MV song 'ingE nAn kaNdEn' was quite popular as well. (I guess that was for NT - going by MV's voice -and the SPB songs were possibly for Prabhu). There are two more SPB-SJ duets - rAja mOhini and vAzhvE vA and I've hardly heard them before and so cannot post about. The songs are quite sweet, however, regardless of their hit status. Either A S Prakasam had good sense of music or rAsA was at his creative peak that nothing could go wrong or IR did put extra effort for the sake of NT-Prabhu combo. Whatever was the reason, the album has many sweet numbers...

Well, per wikipedia, there could be another reason for extra-interest of rAsA :

it is by Prof.A.S.Prakasam. He was supposed to do a movie on U.Ve.Sa (thamizh thaatha *ing Kamal which never materialized).
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    #247 கல்லுக்குள்ளே வந்த ஈரம் என்ன
    (மனிதனின் மறுபக்கம் , 1986 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Sweet SPB-SJ duet with IR's signature tablA rhythm and sweet strings / guitar work! Another K Rangaraj movie, the director who worked as BR's assistant for a while and then did unnai nAn sandhiththEn / udhaya geetham with motherland pictures. Outside that production house, his remarkable album during early 80's with rAsA was 'nilavu suduvathillai' that had two awesome songs (pArijAtham pagalil pooththadhu & nALum un manam - terrific KJY duets). On the flip side, he was in KBR's company by employing someone other than IR as MD for his first film (after serving as an assistant to BR).

K Rangaraj's first movie was 'nenjamellAm neeyE' and it had S-G as MDs (there was this nice song - 'yAradhu sollAmal nenjaLLippOvadhu' by VJ from that movie). He came to IR after that like every other assistant of BR, for nilavu suduvathillai and got that awesome score. I don't know about all his films but remember the two he did for motherland pictures that had IR (UNS & UG, as mentioned before). After that, in 1986 he did a couple of movies and manithanin maRupakkam is one of them. (Like unakkAkavE vAzhkiREn, this one too was possibly a remake from some Malayalam movie.)

I have heard this song a few times on buses but never paid close attention those days. Never owned it on personal collections then either. However, a couple of years back, I got it on a disk from my sis and was playing it frequently on car. An OK kind of song which sounds rAgA based - the saraNam melody is more interesting than the pallavi and SJ is awesome there. To avoid repeating this fact, let me make this statement : "On 99% of rAsA songs, saraNam had a much better tune / melody than the pallavi IMO" That is one of the main reasons for longevity of rAsA songs as well sustaining of interest through out any song.

By contrast, most popular songs of later-day MDs have weak saraNams (after catchy pallavis, thALakkozhuppu etc) and cannot hold my interest for more than a minute or so. That apart, they also have not-so-distinct interludes and thus not listenable end to end even once (let alone repeat). I don't think most music-fans of today care either. There are few songs that are known by preludes / interludes / saraNams anymore. All that the listeners today seem to care are a catchy "beat" and "two catchy lines of pallavi - or just one line with repeattu". why this kolaveRi makkaLE? (This is not a TN-only trend...my son listens to local / western music mostly and I can see him frequently skipping his so called "favourite" songs after only a minute or so, quickly browsing for the next one. They cannot sustain his interest for even the whole 4-5 minutes. No wonder kolaveRi is so popular among his American collegemates who have it on their FB pages...actually, that's how he got to hear that song and got it on his iPad making me hear it for the first time. Thanks to my wife's vociferous objection, my ears don't get polluted anymore with that youtube hit that has supposedly given dinner rights to Dhanush with Manmohan Singh )
    Last edited by app_engine; 4th January 2012 at 03:17 AM.