Page 234 of 400 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284334 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #207 அட மச்சம் உள்ள
    (சின்ன வீடு, 1985 , ஜானகி, ஷைலஜாவுடன்)

The first line, as read in thiraippadal (அட மச்சமுள்ள) didn't bring the song into mind at all. Those two words have to be split to get the song playing in mind What a cracker of a song this one is! I very clearly remember relishing this number those days (can't clearly recall connecting this number to the KBR movie, though I've seen the movie...padam andha latchaNam).

There are some hubbers who enjoyed discussing about this number here and it's quite interesting to note disk.box calling SPB "சுப்பு செல்லம்" Also, this song seems to evoke nice memories and emotions outside the hub too, see this blog and notice the poster's expressions

Other than the terrific percussion cocktail, the song also boasts of the spicy 'dhira nanna' thingy. Sometime back KV was trying to find out if TVG had sung in any other song - I'm not positive this is TVG but at the minimum, it's TVG-like sound made by someone. Spice taken from 'idhu oru nilAkkAlam' song and I think IR is trying to connect 'sabalam' with such lingo. In common speech, people use such jiginA phrases as 'oof, aaf, jollu, aiyyO, yabbA, yammA' to connect with this and looks like dhira nannA / nagir dhanA etc do that job in rAsA language (apart from the other mukkal munagals patented by SJ). In any case, that fusion makes this song extra-catchy and sophisticated.

I don't remember reading much dissection of this song by hub-pundits...I feel there are some brilliant musical ideas hiding in this number to be uncovered by V_Sji / Sureshji and other experts. Request their kind attention

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Rajini did very much pair Lakshmi as Chakravarthy.
    Ah yes, forgot since the good doctor mentioned Pollathavan.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber hattori_hanzo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Nerd, before that duet starts, the dogs "get into mood" by watching Rajiv perform.Rajiv shows a distinctly canine-carnal expression in his face. Adhu dhaan highlight
    DIG > Plum, those days Rajiv was the right man to play such characters. Have you seen this devotional K.R.Vijaya movie in which Rajiv tortures his son? Treats him like a dog by throwing biscuits on the floor & letting his pet dog loose on him. Kid seeks divine intervention. God makes dog bite Rajiv and then..Rajiv barks, licks and makes whimpering sounds like a dog. If you see this one, that 2 sec expression wouldn't bother u anymore! > END DIG

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ada Machamulla is an absolute crackerjack of a song .
    Just go crazy whenever i listen to this terrorizer.
    Everything about this song is just so gobsmacking awesome
    Right from the counterpoint of the Sax and Trumpet to the half beat challenge to the bass going parallelly in its own merry path to some oh louly phaser effects to some absolutely rip roaring singing by the evergreen duo SPB and SJ .
    Raaja creates a mini magnum opus in a matter of 5 minutes

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    As App rightly said , this song is loaded with so many brilliant musical ideas and it needs experts like V_S , Suresh , KV and others to uncover the brilliance.
    Guys , come and decipher this googly .

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber hattori_hanzo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1.
    Thats one of my favorite Bagyaraj songs. I even like the other Bagyaraj, the Drunken Monk!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that's a mighty composition. I have watched the movie many times especially for this song and chittukuruvi. Thanks App for your confidence in me. Please give me some time.
    skr, can you please write about it elaborately, as I have seen you post some wonderful posts/thoughts, I see the urge in you, but somehow you keep it very short .

Thanks App for sharing Unnai ThEdi VaruvEn song, I don't remember hearing that song.

Japanil Kalyanaraman has some great songs as you posted. I remember someone saying about this film.

'EllArum flight'la YEriyaacha?'. Aamaam sir, ellaarum irukkaanga. Flight already took-off.
    'Film'ku thEvaiyaana ellaam konduvandhachaa?'. Yes, sir, I checked every instruments/chairs/groceries, everything we brought sir.
    'OK very good, antha script'a konjam thaangapa, konjam correction pannanum'. Script'A? appadi Yethuvum eduthuttu varalaiye sir??? I didn't have any instructions about it.
    'Adappavigala, sari pona pogattum, ellam anga pOi paathukalam'. Naan edukarthu than kathai, Makkal paakarthu avanga thalai Yezhuthu!

Only good thing about the film, is they showed the expo 1984 (I think) continuing on the lines of Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban which covered Expo 1970.
    Last edited by V_S; 24th November 2011 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi skv, V_Sji & hattori_hanzo!

While V_Sji works on his analysis of the sinna veedu song, let's move on with the next movie - this one a biggie...actually a "double" biggie

Post Thanks / Like
    #208 சோடிக்கிளி எங்கே சொல்லு சொல்லு
    (படிக்காதவன், 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Like Murali sir mentioned in a recent post, this movie was a 1985-er but I had a chance to watch only in 1986, that too in a horrible theater (for all practical purposes a 'tent kottakai' but in a proper structure) at the Walayar Checkpost in the TN-Kerala border. This used to be the nightmare spot those days if someone undertakes riding the buses from Kovai to Palakkad on Sunday evenings when invariably huge traffic jam strikes - with people spending hours, sometimes even until Monday morning. Walayar village is actually inside Kerala but mostly occupied by Thamizh speaking people. The only exception being the Malabar cement factory's employee quarters where most were Malayalees. Well, I spent my initial few months of Palakkad life there (living with a bachelor friend who worked in that factory). The spot is equi-distantal from Kovai & Palakkad with huge teak trees and foresty setting.

While the quarters are in one side of the highway, on the other side of the highway is a real forest and travelling about a KM (crossing the railway line) will get one to that cement plant, located in the home of elephants. It's not unusual to spot elephants in that area and a real picturesque place with heavy rains for around 3 months a year (June / July / Aug and portions of Sep, until Onam arrives). The bachelor friend was a RK fan and grabbed me to the nearest theater for this movie that had Sivaji playing Rajini's elder brother.

MV sang the sweet 'oru koottukkiLiyAka' for NT while the RK songs were shared by SPB & KJY. Obviously, KJY got the best number (IMO) - the vEppilai karuvEppilai song that can raise goosebumps each time one hears it. The movie was one of the many AB-hindi-hit-remakes that RK used to indulge in those days. I've seen the original during college days in the audi. Well, I liked the AB version more overall (possibly the theater effect for NT-RK movie ).

SPB had this sweet duet with SJ and a solo. I'm generally not a big fan of SJ's speaking/ singing when there's no instrumental backing but the beginning of this song is agreeable, even sweet Ofcourse, the arrival of SPB gives phenomenal enthu for the song, doubled by the slam-bang of orchestration as well. Rajinikanth was handsome in the movie and for a few years it was Ambika or Radha by default in all commercial biggies. Accordingly, this had the elder sis and the director was the same one who did malayur mambattiyAn, kAkkichchattai and thambikku entha ooru. (Typically such movies went to SPM and one wonders why Rajasekar for this).

One thing that I clearly remember about this movie was the Malayalam spelling (I was feverishly learning to read that language at that time and was reading everything on walls / hoardings / boards etc). pat(h)ikkAththavan. Usage of the second "t(h)a" that looked like English O was funny to me and so was the extra consonant that made kAdhavan read kAththavan (It wasn't unusual to have such Malayalamized titles for Thamizh movies...possibly their polite revenge to the TN akramam of ugly titles for Malayalam movies...e.g. I learnt that a Malayalam movie named eettA, meaning nANal, was translated as 'inba dhAgam' ). In any case, if you type "padikkAthavan" in google transliteration of Malayalam, it gets you "പഠിക്കാത്തവന്*" only

Post Thanks / Like
    If one wants to view a "typical TF duet" on screen : sOdikkiLi engE sollu sollu