Page 54 of 400 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had that radio when I was smaller. By the time I was 7/8 years old (1980/81), we had transistor with battery backup. The record player we had didn't have backup though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    I used to get amazed how SPB can sing in so many different voices for different actors.
    That is SPB ! He used to sing Rough for Rajni (mainly) and Soft for Kamal and extra soft for Mohan
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajkumarc View Post
    Ilamayenum Poongatru - I didn't even realize this is an erotic song until I saw the video of the song..
    Me too , I was hoping to be some super romantic picturisation till I saw the film, and I was greeted with a shock of my life

// Sridevi has a vhild like face, she does not fit in glamour roles at all !! //
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think so. It's according to the song. How would you explain, "Pesa koodathu" for Rajini and "Varuthu Varuthu" for Kamal. "ey atta atoorama" for Mohan could have easily been for Rajini. No, he sings the way the song needed to be sung.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    I don't think so. It's according to the song. How would you explain, "Pesa koodathu" for Rajini and "Varuthu Varuthu" for Kamal. "ey atta atoorama" for Mohan could have easily been for Rajini. No, he sings the way the song needed to be sung.
    Rakesh bhai

You do have a point, but I meant was he "Mainly" changes his voice according to actors, if you notice all his songs for Shivaji, SPB brings out 'Gambeera' voice to suit NT, I can not recall many songs where SPB sings "softly" for NT, except (pottu vaitha mugamo, rajaathi varungadi puthiya raaja vai paarungadi ) , just my opinion I may be wrong

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #32 தேவதை ஒரு தேவதை
    பறந்து வந்தாள் வென்றாள் சென்றாள்
    (பட்டாக்கத்தி பைரவன், 1979 )

Looking back, I'm now sure that this was the time period when SPB-SJ became my top duet-pair and they remain so till date

Ofcourse I liked them from 'thEn sindhudhE vAnam' days, i.e. pre-IR. It was one among the few cine song records our school had and was a regular in functions. (i.e. other than the weekly prayer-flag-hoist-assembly thingy, where only instrumentals were played apart from the customary நீராருங் கடலுடுத்த & ஜனகனமன with pupils in uniform).

We did have the awesome uRavAdum nenjam and the Bhuvana oru? pathos earlier but 1979 was the time when they made so strong an impression. So much that even MSV had to push his VJ bias aside and have SPB-SJ pair do the 'lA la lalla lA lA, lallA lA lA' for ninaiththAle inikkum's main song)!

PKB duets were among the top ones that created sensation. Thus making SPB-SJ my top fav to this day! These songs are so dear to me till now...after getting them as MP3s sometime back, they're regular on car. I've posted often about them in various threads here and don't think there's much to add here.

Since we talk about radio quite a bit, just one thing to remember about dEvathai (song of today) & engengO (song for tomorrow). Their stereo distribution of instruments / voices was quite weird. When AIR transmitted them using their mono equipment, there was no issue as all will be received bundled together in our radio. (I heard these songs max in my cousin's panasonic mono player those days and that didn't have any issue either).

OTOH, the technologically advanced IOKS had possibly stereo playback systems and may have even transmitted them as such. (It was only AM in MW / SW and I'm not sure whether they had stereo broadcast but at the minimum, should have had stereo play back). Often, only portions of the instruments / voices will be heard on the radio. The rest were so much attenuated and practically unheard.

Listen to these songs in headphone and you'll know what I'm talking about
    Last edited by app_engine; 24th May 2011 at 12:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    App Anna

Pattakathi Bhairavan is a NT film right ?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    App Anna

Pattakathi Bhairavan is a NT film right ?
    Yes, at one time the comical video of 'engengO' was on youtube but don't think it's there anymore. I used to imagine that these songs were for a younger pair (I think the movie had Sridevi / Jaiganesh as another pair) but recently found out that 'engengO' was for Sivaji romance. Don't know about 'dEvathai' however...and don't want to take the risk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Yes, at one time the comical video of 'engengO' was on youtube but don't think it's there anymore. I used to imagine that these songs were for a younger pair (I think the movie had Sridevi / Jaiganesh as another pair) but recently found out that 'engengO' was for Sivaji romance. Don't know about 'dEvathai' however...and don't want to take the risk
    Oh The Only Male Singer in this movie is SPB ( http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00482) How come IR did not use TMS as it was NT film ?? I mean TMS was able to sing in 1979 right ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh the song was not for NT it was for Jaiganesh and Sridevi