Page 51 of 400 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok, the time has come for a significant landmark album of Raja where SPB had two fantastic songs. (I reserve the more interesting song for tomorrow, Friday The other one is featured in this post)

It's common knowledge that those of IR's songs that "sounded different" from contemporary MDs have always been bigger hits, regardless of other innovations. These were achieved by him via many techniques - well, sometimes through technology (Priya the obvious example) but mostly by his innovative arrangements and unusual combination(s) of standard instruments.

On that count, it was a great moment when பகலில் ஒரு இரவு songs were first heard from a sound-service shop in the ground floor of a building in town while I was waiting in upper floor. (It was a wait in dentist's office for a relative while he was undergoing some treatment).

Wow, they were so different "sounding" and I was almost jumping! There was no doubt as to who the MD was as the first one heard was 'thOttam kaNda rAsAva', sung by IR himself. Getting blasted off from big box speakers with those terrific beats, tribal sounds and bass, they were so much thrilling to hear. 'thAmtha dheemtha' had the first-of-its-kind rhythm arrangement, with heavily boosted bass guitar sounds (well, for the time period) and I knew something extraordinary has arrived.

As I later learnt, it was not for a big name producer or star but got made in totally strange company. The director was I V Sasi, so infamous in TN for his "A" rated "AR" in which the actress was "his-wife-to-be-in-future". (It was many years later that I found out not all his Malayalam movies were "maRRa" kind. He was a highly successful commercial director in MFI).

Well, all that mattered was his combo with IR in TFM produced some of the top songs ever, especially going by bass guitar sounds.

#28, பொன்னாரம் பூவாரம் கண்ணோரம் சிருங்காரம்
    (பகலில் ஒரு இரவு, 1979 )
    had the advantages of both the bass-boosted sounds and typical-IR-70's instrumental arrangements combined with a killer melody. The wind instrument that responds after he sings ponnAram poovAram (is it shenoy) is so soothing and so are the flute passages through out the song!

SPB enjoys himself in the song, அப்படியே சொக்கிச்சொக்கி, இழைந்து இழைந்து பாடி இருக்கிறார். (அவருக்குக்"காலமெல்லாம் தேனிலவு" இருக்கக்கடவதாக!)
    Last edited by app_engine; 19th May 2011 at 10:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    It was Colombo
    I doubt its Colombo. It was shot in some outdoor hilly locale, with a river flowing by and all. Don't think its Ooty. A beautiful place that fits the songs mood perfectly.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful post App as usual!. Great joy in listening to this album as a whole.
    Thottam kanda rasave and thamtha dheemtha are very unique and innovative compositions, especially the later. The prelude (and second interlude) chorus with bass guitar is absolutely stunning. He has almost used chorus as if it is an instrument. The rhythm arrangement is very interesting.

Coming to Ponnaram Poovaram , lovely lovely song! But first time I am hearing SPB singing சீர் (seer) as "cheer". While the locations for this song are amazing, very funny to see the romance being one-sided. While Vijay kumar acts normally, Sridevi was very uncomfortable and with her artificial smile. I don't know why most of the IR beautiful and finest compositions are being visualized in an amateur way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajkumarc View Post
    I doubt its Colombo. It was shot in some outdoor hilly locale, with a river flowing by and all. Don't think its Ooty. A beautiful place that fits the songs mood perfectly.
    I read some where it was colombo! and Even my Parents think it was Colombo

Post Thanks / Like
    Digression >> Just realised that When sudhakar sings ." Zeenat en kanavil vanthal" he was actually refering to Zeenat Amman ! , epadiyellam yosikiraangappa <<

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    I don't know why most of the IR beautiful and finest compositions are being visualized in an amateur way.
    Great composer, lesser than mediocre filmakers. Eedukudukka mudiyala. This song was used as "alcohol" joke in a Vadivelu schtick. He tries to stop drinking, then others keep reminding of drinks, like whiskey, then someone comes along and sings this song with emphasis on "rammm"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    This song was used as "alcohol" joke in a Vadivelu schtick. He tries to stop drinking, then others keep reminding of drinks, like whiskey, then someone comes along and sings this song with emphasis on "rammm"
    Yes That was a hilarious scene, pls remind me the name of the movie. Thanks

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Coming to Ponnaram Poovaram , lovely lovely song! But first time I am hearing SPB singing சீர் (seer) as "cheer". While the locations for this song are amazing, very funny to see the romance being one-sided. While Vijay kumar acts normally, Sridevi was very uncomfortable and with her artificial smile.
    The 'cheer' is possibly because of SasiyEttan. I've seen some of my Kumari district friends always pronouncing that Thamizh letter as 'ch'.

To Sridevi's defence, I think it's one of those "child in woman's body" roles and probably that's one of the reasons for her expressions. (That too one with some traumatic past). Even without discounting for that story background, I think this is one of the better picturisations for songs in TF. The settings are quite natural thanks to IVS (rich couple honey-mooning in a hill station like mooNAR, enjoying the surroundings - no awkward dance movements with Alps in background etc )