Page 400 of 400 FirstFirst ... 300350390398399400
Results 3,991 to 3,993 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #354 கோட்டையை விட்டு வேட்டைக்குப்போகும்
    (சின்னத்தாயி, 1992)

'kottaiyai vittu vEttaikkuppOgum' from sinnaththAyi

The link has all three songs - the short one by SPB, another by SJ and one by kids with possibly Sunantha. The SPB version has an interesting ghatam-like sound as the prelude but the accompaniment for his singing has soft (tablA) rhythm arrangements that are atypical to the kind of song. Possibly a softer situation on screen that didn't demand the eerines that goes along with the big fearsome villageside statue / huge horse idol etc. The kids song as well as the SJ version have that bayamuRuththal sounds.

The urumi & country drums that go along with the non-SPB versions can easily transport one to the TN country side where sAmi kumbidu with mAviLakku / theechchatti / moLappAri / kadA vettu etc. could be times of extremes. For most, it's probably meant festivity. For some though, it could mean sheer fear and anxiety as liquor could flow freely and "old scores" could get settled.

In any case, the appearance of some of the village idols could be terrifying for kids who weren't exposed to them before. It was a big thing for some of my "from-town-city-or-other-state" kind of relative kids when they visited our country side. The huge, fearsome statues - AnthaikkaNNu, koduvA meesai etc - and the huge horse idols were frightening to most of them
    Last edited by app_engine; 20th April 2012 at 02:13 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    With that sinnaththAyi song, all the backlog got cleared

Now I need to post today's song and we'll be current!

At the rate of one song a day for the rest of the month, we'll hit #366 on the last day of April!

hurrAy!!

Post Thanks / Like
    #355 வனமெல்லாம் செண்பகப்பூ
    (நாடோடிப்பாட்டுக்காரன், 1992)

vanamellAm sheNbagappoo from nAdOdippAttukkAran

Quite an interesting song, with an unusual kind of rhythm arrangement for the pallavi - something that sounds like "reverse gear" and not often heard in IR songs IMO. Catchy melody and possibly provided some "mass screen presence" thingy for Karthik those days. However, the movie's name makes it obscure - with too many movies having pAttukkAran suffix those days (as also nAdOdi prefix). I don't have any idea about the movie at all!

The song is strongly etched in memory, however Once again, I can't place a specific time period as to when I actually heard this song While there's no question that I've listened to it only on PA systems (and not on a personal audio / radio), it's got to be around the time of its arrival - during my many trips to Cbe & rest of TN in the early 90's. Other hubbers may be able to chip-in more details about the movie /songs.

In addition, I don't have much familiarity with other songs of this album at all!