Page 355 of 400 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357365 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,550 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    A few days later, I went to school with a hmt avinash (beautiful white dial with a black circle, cost Rs 237)
    This one?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40789318@N06/4065384317/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    One quick question. Is puthu nellu puthu naathu a 1990 film?. I remember seeing it in 1991 when it was released. Even IMDB, wiki says so. En Uyir ThOzan was in 1990.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    App,
    One quick question. Is puthu nellu puthu naathu a 1990 film?. I remember seeing it in 1991 when it was released. Even IMDB, wiki says so. En Uyir ThOzan was in 1990.
    Good question - as you can see from my post, I didn't even notice the movie coming & going those days

So, I really don't know...thiraippAdal lists this under 1990 and that's how it landed today in this thread

al_gates,
    I can't see the image now, will check when I reach home and comment...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there are only three more songs for this thread from 1990...from the movies 'nadigan' & 'ooru vittu ooru vandhu'...

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, there's a small (rather big) change...

Some web resources state that kizhakku vAsal was a 1990 movie...(thiraippAdal counts that under 1992)... Is that so? Then we have a few more numbers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Pnpn - 1991. Kvaasal - probably 90. Kvaasal kkanmani anjali came in quick succession

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Kizhakku Vaasal was in 1990. May be thiraipaadal got year of some films wrong.

Coming to BR-IR break-fix session, IR had totally changed his approach in the next three BR movies, including PNPN. It was totally different and great experience. Poo Poo Poo and other songs in this movie are no way inferior, even though there is not much SPB in these movies. Karutha machhan (SJ, no words there) and chittaan chittaan are enough to take on several other songs quite deservingly. Sameway, Nadodi thendral. Naadodi Thendral is one the best, if not the best BR-IR movie in terms of music (IMHO), even though we have some minor casualties. Tunes and orchestration are memorable.
    Last edited by V_S; 21st March 2012 at 01:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Suganya - did her debut in this movie. Also the Trichy politician (now a central minister) Napolean acted for the first time in this movie it seems.

So, two more BR introductions who went on to achieve some fame on celluloid.
    I guess this is the only movie which had the most number of new faces in terms of even the supporting cast, apart from the hero-heroine. Suganya-Raghul - (hero, heroine), Rudra, Ashok (2nd pair), Renuka - Ponvannan (parents), Napolean (villain) and probably two more, which I could not recollect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the chronology, fellas.

90.JPG

Pudhu Nellu Pudhu sapling - Diwali 1991(with dalapathi, guna etc)
    Ennuyir Thozhan - Feb 15 '90

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Pnpn - 1991. Kvaasal - probably 90. Kvaasal kkanmani anjali came in quick succession
    Plum has nailed the years plumb in front(sorry!). I drafted a post earlier in the week but it was not auto-saved for some reason. In my observation of the 80's, usually 6 to 9 months is the average life of a chartbuster song those days. So even though Raja had like 9 albums releasing for Diwali 89, the frequently heard ones were from movies like Peculiar Brothers and Varsham-16 released in the summer. It was only around Feb 90 that I heard Vetrivila and Karagattakaran songs(good 3 months after their release) while traveling around in the city.

So yeah, it takes 2-3 months for a song to pick up airtime after the movie's release. This is because TV sets had not yet proliferated into tier 2 and tier 3 cities of Tamil Nadu. It is usually Oliyum oliyum which is your first window to spot a potential hit.

The summer of 90 had us focussing on the soccer world cup. Tamil New year 90 had no major IR album but it gave Pudhu Vasantham. The 2nd half of '90 started with Kizhakkuvaasal, Mounam Sammadham getting lot of time on Oliyum Oliyum. Even though Keladi kanmani was released on the same day as Kizhakkuvaasal, it took about a month before people started noticing Mannil Indha or Nee Paathi naan paathi. But this is just my perception, since I was not the kind to read Vikatan or other tamil mags
    In my area, Sundari Neeyum was the most heard of song in the 2nd half of 1990. It remained so till Chinnathambi came along in Apr 91.

And yeah, Sep 90 had India go to the Beijing Asian games where India turned in a terrific performance(1 gold to China's 183, thanks to our national sport Kabbadi).
    Last edited by al_gates; 21st March 2012 at 05:36 AM.