Post Thanks / Like
    App, sorry you are right. It is mere angne mein. :senility:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    beautiful white dial with a black circle, cost Rs 237

p.s. With the balance money, my ammA got a saree and that was my first gift to her, bought with my own money
    Very interesting write-up App on watch tale! How come you remember the cost of your watch so accurately, after years?.

For the italics part, touched!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was this north indian college / hostel mate who had predominant body hair (> one cm long and very thick on wrist area) who was always wearing an old watch, very tightly strapped making the hair suffer / leave a mark etc and he used to talk about it to everyone (when & how his dad gifted him, how many years old, how valuable etc).
    My dad, same. Since he worked in the field those days, the watch part would be white when he removes it. My first fifth standard examination gift was a watch, fake leather strap.
    t was totally unreliable (ishtappattA mattum Odum) and had to be retired.
    Oh how machines, tools, etc had characters of their own. Now everything is zombie.

I may not comment on all your post app, but I am following and really appreciating
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, yes. What persistence! Grouch and me abandoned a thread immediately after the first flop post.

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi V_Sji, groucho & Plum!

dig

Quote Originally Posted by V_Sji
    How come you remember the cost of your watch so accurately, after years?
    Like I mentioned before, this is one of those unique things that are closely remembered ("senti") (like SSLC marks, "MPC%" of HSC etc)

There are two factors in addition (these will be like a typical whine by old people) :

1. Life didn't have much distractions those days. I still remember my first progress report card of 6th std (the first one ever as we didn't have one in primary school). It had the ink smudged on the rank box and 1 looked like 3 I had to explain in detail how much mark difference was there between the 1st (445), 2nd (366) and 3rd (355) to my appA to convince him. (He knew it but still was playing around with me, the class sir was his badminton pal...unfortunately, per my recent phone call home, that sir with such a beautiful handwriting & great badminton skills had recently been paralyzed after a stroke)

2. Money had a lot more value and this was a huge amount. Some comparisons : Bus charges to go from village to town was 35 paisA (Rs 0.35) and in less than 10 rupees I could reach granpA's home, which the buses took >3 hours those days. Even 4 years later, my first month's mess bill was < Rs 200 at REC (the watch happened in 1977, "A" mess bill was in 1981). For that matter, the whole engg edu expenses for 4+ years was less than Rs 20K (all -even pocket money -included). On a direct number-number comparison, JUST THE COST OF BOOKS for 1st semester of my son is bigger than that

end-dig

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    abandoned a thread immediately after the first flop post.
    That is the difference between writing a "chiththirappAvai" & dhinathanthi news columns

neenga, groucho ellAm Akilan range, app is just a reporter, that too a 'tholikkatti' type

Post Thanks / Like
    ding ding dong youtube
    (hilarious, variety - but enjoyable)

Post Thanks / Like
    silence youtube:
    (looks like Gautami wanted to imitate Rajini thru out the movie )

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Param,

'Aram' means 'mAlai' or 'chain' (ponnAram = gold chain, poovAram = garland)...In math, 'Aram' means 'radius' (which is funny as the same word means 'circle/ ellipse' in the ornamental context).

singAram means beauty (have you heard the phrase 'singArachchennai', means beautiful Madras)...singAri means beautiful girl, singAra vElan is beautiful (handsome) Kamal
    DeivamE :Touching feet:

Tamil seems to be most "difficult" Language to learn, Tamil Language is difficult enough, then Tamil literature
    BTW, if you are talking about the SPB song from 'pagalil oru iravu', that word is not singAram - it is "srungAram", that means romance
    I thought it was Singaram.

Thanks App anna
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    AFAIK, Aaram (ஆரம்) is a Tamil word, so are Poo (பூ) and Pon (பொன்) - So Poovaram and Ponnaram are pure Tamil words. Where as Singaar is a Sanskrit word loosely translated as beauty or make-up. Per Tamil grammar "Am" or "An" added to Sanskrit words to Tamilify them - Ram becomes Raman, Raaga becomes Raagam. So, even though Singram rhymes with Poovaram and Ponnaram the etymology is completely different.
    Yes that many Sanskrit words have been added the "am" to sound more Tamilish

Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post

அப்பனே, முருகா!! இதெல்லாம் கொஞ்சம் ஓவர்.
    why?? Kamal is one of the most handsome actors in Tamil Films .
    Last edited by PARAMASHIVAN; 20th March 2012 at 06:59 PM.
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye