Page 349 of 400 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359399 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,490 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #320 பாக்கு வெத்தல போட்டேன் பத்தல, பொண்ணு பாத்ததாலே
    (மை டியர் மார்த்தாண்டன் , 1990)

pAkku veththala pOttEn paththala of MDM

thiraippadal, rakkamma, tamilxprez blogspot - all these sites wrongly report this song to be sung by Mano & Janaki (possibly one person's error copied by others ; or the CD has this kind of nonsense credits ). A song very clearly by SPB & the (hated 'dagudu-dugudu' singing) kuzhuvinar. A song reasonably popular those days and a big personal favourite to me, to this day! Lot of loud playback time at the bachelor home for this song as well as all the MDM songs (except the 'azhagu nilavu sirikka maRandhadhE').

Despite listening it to this so many times, I don't remember discussing about the meaning of the first two lines - with anyone at any point of time Now that I'm making an exclusive post about this song, just dwelt upon it a few minutes and it didn't make any sense to me at all. Why would the pAkku veththala becomes insufficient to this fellow simbly because he found a girl? (Does veththala pAkku happen to be so much intoxicating on a normal basis - me no experience so can't tell)...

In any case, it is worthwhile to have a mini discussion about this 'parisam pOduthal' thingy here While the simplified translation of this could be 'betrothel / engagement', I don't think parisam pOduthal and betrothel are exactly the same things.

Why? Well, before I explain with my very first experience of attending a 'parisam pOduthal', let me quote some linguistic kAlachchuvadu article here which seems to indicate the same :

தமிழிலிருந்தும் ஓரிரு உதாரணங்களைப் பார்க்கலாம். 'பரிசம் போடுதல்', 'சீர்வரிசை' ஆகிய சொற்களை ஆங்கிலத்தில் மொழிபெயர்த்துவிட முடியாது. காரணம், இந்தச் சொற்கள் பண்பாட்டின் வெளிப்பாடுகள். அடிக்குறிப்புப் போடாமல் ஆங்கிலத்தில் இச்சொற்களைப் புரியவைக்க முடியாது. காரணம், பண்பாடுகளில் காணப்படும் வேறுபாடுகள்.
    Now, my very first attending of a 'parisam pOduthal' was that of my 6th grade classmate's elder sis & their dad was my dad's classmate, lived in a farm which was about 5 miles from where we lived. We all went to the function, had lunch and then the adults started the 'parisam pOduthal'.

It was not straight equivalent of 'nichchaya thAmboolam' where everything had been agreed upon and the function becoming a mere formality. That way, it's not 'engagement' or 'betrothel'. Neither it is a 'peN pArkkal' which is totally preliminary.

It's a little "crude form" of nichchyadhArththam - in Kerala they call it 'oRappikkal' (means, "making sure"). It's not just a 'sign-up' ceremony but ALSO a detailed discussion of all 'kodukkal-vAngals-nittie-gritties'

That first function that I attended was quite nasty, lasted 3 hours or so - with the "useless fellows" (as per me & my classmate) discussing over 'eththanai pavun pOduveenga - orE poNNu thAnE' etc
    Last edited by app_engine; 16th March 2012 at 12:20 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    In any case, it is worthwhile to have a mini discussion about this 'parisam pOduthal' thingy here While the simplified translation of this could be 'betrothel / engagement', I don't think parisam pOduthal and betrothel are exactly the same things.
    பரிசம் என்றல் என்ன? அதை ஏன் "போட" வேண்டும்? யாராவது கொஞ்சம் விளக்க முடியுமா?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    #320 பாக்கு வெத்தல போட்டேன் பத்தல, பொண்ணு பாத்ததாலே

Why would the pAkku veththala becomes insufficient to this fellow simbly because he found a girl? (Does veththala pAkku happen to be so much intoxicating on a normal basis - me no experience so can't tell)...
    Sir, I think we have to read that as 'zarda' பாக்கு வெத்தல போட்டேன் பத்தல, பொண்ணு பாத்ததாலே. I think lyricist is saying the kick in 'zarda paan' is nothing after I saw this girl.
    Good post on 'parisam pOduthal'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    பரிசம் என்றல் என்ன? அதை ஏன் "போட" வேண்டும்? யாராவது கொஞ்சம் விளக்க முடியுமா?
    Let me guess (of course, a wild one)

'parisam' could be another term for 'parisu' and meant the "bride price" in the olden days when getting a girl (as wife) was a precious thingy. It could have started as the groom's family "throwing" gifts to win over the girl...

(Of course, over a period things became thalai keezh and varadhatchanai came up..I hope, with the rate in which female infanticides happening in India, the situation will reverse again)

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the thread, rajsmed!

ungaL sEvai thodarattum!

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, V_Sji!

Interesting 'zardA' explanation Once again, no experience

Post Thanks / Like
    song from yesterday, rambambam - on youtube :

Post Thanks / Like
    pAkku veththala youtube :

(even this poster says singers are Mano & SJ - enna kodumai ayyA )

Post Thanks / Like
    Another lame question on the lyrics of pAkku veththalai :

'motta mAdi kettuppOchchu' ...does the mottamAdi mean skull (brain) or something else?

(BTW, Goundar also dances in this song and one of the 'dugudu dagudu' sounding fellows ; there's also Kushboo in the second stanza )

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    Film centres around Madhan, therefore making him the protagonist. But actual-A pArtha, the film is about the 4 fellows, so ellOrumE hero-thAn. Heck the title has all of their name, I say. But Tamil philim standard padi parthA, yes, Raju is the hero. My fav of the four, by the way. He is the only decent guy among the four. Madhan is snobbish and arrogant. Michael, well, bad upbringing. Kameshwaran is too principled always picking fight with dad, even laughing at him when poor dad slips and falls. Raju, on the other hand is an innocent feller, had to resort to cheating no thanks to his debt problem. Always relatable.
    Ha ha ha ha ha!