Page 346 of 400 FirstFirst ... 246296336344345346347348356396 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,460 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    I thought Mouna Ragam would have been your best MR movie,
    I think this ranking business keeps changing

(MR is a great movie with only the picturization of pani vizhum iravil below par)...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    #318 மண்ணில் இந்தக்காதல் இன்றி
    (கேளடி கண்மணி, 1990 )

'maNNil indhakkAdhal inRi' of kELadi kaNmaNi

Very sweet number. Also a very special number because it had SPB on-screen Per his wiki, he had been shown on-screen in Cho's MB tuglak for the first time in TF (1971) and here and there afterwards as well. However, KK was perhaps the first TF where he had the full-fledged role of the protagonist.

The movie was a hit and the song was immensely popular. Very sweet melody and excellent singing (the 'moochchu vidAmAl pAdal' gimmick notwithstanding). My most favourite part is the 2nd interlude - when the lead guitar ends and strings conclude the interlude, I always feel like soaring high, flying, unmaththam, ecstasy etc ! Phenomenal! (ok, enough of adjectives, words cannot describe the feel).

I haven't watched the movie - even though the audio cassette was playing almost daily in our home for many months! kaRpoora mullai onRu, nee pAthi nAn pAthi kaNNE and this song are top favourties until this day and get played every now and then on the audio systems at home and vehicles! Truly evergreen!

My Rubin house friend told me that this movie was interesting and there's a scene in which the 'cancer-patient-char-played-by-the-no-longer-baby-Anju' asks her lover to ride her on the motorcycle @100 kmph. I was stunned because around that time, it was a regular thing at our bachelor home to talk hours and hours about the bikes and recent top-speeds...crossing 100 kmph with the 100cc bike, on the Cbe-Pkd highway was considered a most-kicky-thing those days. (Unfortunately, it was also done on certain nights after -OH indulgence). In any case, the movie's director (Vasanth) had the "pulse" of the youththu of that time

Though I didn't watch Anju on this movie, I happened to watch her in a Mohanlal Malayalam movie a little later (brief role as Lal's wife, gets killed)

pAkka rombappAvamA irundhadhu

Post Thanks / Like
    maNNil inthakkAdhal youtube (courtesy rajsmed) :

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    mainly for the songs, Prabhu and VKR. I can't watch this movie hereafter, thanks to some overacting by kids and Revathi, two word typical dialogues and even the film looked bland now, having watched it recently.
    Nailed my feeling, V_S. Same same.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks grouch for endorsing it.

I don't know how many times I have watched kEladi KaNmaNi, mainly because I got to see SPB in main role, and especially for this song. Even though we have seen his glimpse in Manadhil Urudhi VEndum, we wanted more. I prefer MUV role better than this, now. Great movie, but lot of KB's cliches throughout which takes the interest out (We were expecting a fresh film from the debutant, vasanth). Scenes like Janakaraj and his friend discuss a story which closely relate to the story of ARR (SPB's name in the movie) and Radhika, Janakaraj's ESP scenes etc. But I loved the climax scene. App, apart from Karpoora bommai ondru and Nee paathi naan paathi Kanne, there are other two breathtaking songs, Thendral thaan thingal thaan and Thanniyila nanenjha (I long for that lazy trumpet). Added to this, one hilarious number by Raja, enna paaduvathu and the ever beautiful SJ's (sorry not HJ's ) Vaaranamaayiram. Maestro brings Aandal and her love towards the Lord in front of us. It seems it was composed in a rare raagam. Overall a soundtrack to be relished forever!.

I can't forget this movie as I lost my wallet in chennai Jayapradha theatre (earlier called midland) when watching it for the first time. Luckily I got it back, after some investigation. Is Jayapradha theatre still there?
    Last edited by V_S; 14th March 2012 at 08:45 AM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    At that time, I, an early primitive sceptic, was quite sure that some editing was involved in the no-breathing technique. Of course, during concerts SPB did actually sing non-stop, though he did heave his massive physique at one point (or two) that showed he did quick breathing. The recorded one was purely edited.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it is not humanly possible at all, that too it has a long charanam. Despite we believed for some time that it was true, but when we realized it can't be, we were little disappointed. I don't know why that gimmick was needed at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! Those innocent days. One of the magazine reviews(kungumam I think) - which I read precisely once in my life but still can quote, which can only happen with stuff from your teen days - mentioned "...SpB-yin moochu vidAdha paadal, naam solla ondrumillai, desiya virudhu kuzhu aavana seiya vENdum". From that day, until the NA were announced, I was convinced that Kungumam's word was gospel and the NA committee had no choice but to bow to such wise words from such unimpeachable sources as Kungumam(yeah, I said innocent days, remember?). I think Dr Rajkumar won the award that year for a quasi-classical song. Appove purinjirukkaNum what tickled award committes of that timenu but I got my bodhi maram moment about National Awards for music only 8 years later when Guru-Annamayya happened. Later in life, I got to hear Rajkumar's award winning song - very good but not really outstanding

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Yes, it is not humanly possible at all, that too it has a long charanam. Despite we believed for some time that it was true, but when we realized it can't be, we were little disappointed. I don't know why that gimmick was needed at all.
    Yes even I used to think it was real as well, till SPB him self told it was a Gimmick, having said that SPB "Almost" managed to sing without breathing in one of Live shows
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Well, our bulky man wanted to break into conversation and started "innaikku pournamiyA" (It was obvious that he mistook the sun for moon )
    Hilarious app

Raaththiri Neraththil - For a long long time (until the late 90s) I was thinking it was Mano who sang it. One of my least favorite SPB renditions. Paadalum ultra-modern adhu idhunnu puguzh maalai dhaan, but not a big fan of it. Film - still holds good for me. Obviously not as good as the first time. I saw half the theater (Maris 70MM I think) in tears Watched once recently and *listened* to the complete film once as well. Absolutely fantastic BG score.

And I am one of those who thought SPB really did it with mannil intha