Results 3,431 to 3,440 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Param,
    mARkaNdEyan = enRum pathinARu vayadhu person, per Indian mythology
    As in mARkaNdEyan the Shiva bhaktha ?
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #316 மணமாலையும் மஞ்சளும் சூடி
    (வாத்தியார் வீட்டுப்பிள்ளை, 1989)

maNa mAlaiyum manjaLum soodi of VVP

With veeNai, flute and tablA accompaniments, SPB's voice takes one to sweet heights! Chocolate factory number, that also brings a kalyANa situation very alive in mind! While the happiness of the situation is apparent, there's also some mild feel of sOgam (strictly IMO)...cannot possibly be called as sOgam, may be one can call it 'poignant'...very interesting number anyways! Vinatha told us that this is a chArukEsi number, is this the typical feel of that rAgam?

Like I mentioned in the plan, I need to include a sad tale with a happy ending in this song's post.

Sad, because this was a case of a guy who suffered paranoia that led to depression and almost ruined his marriage Not only was he a relative but a friend to me in the TFM context, though senior by at least 6-7 years. He was a big lover of kavingar (he once declared : 'padam pAththuttu veLiya vandhadhum angEyE pAttuppusthakam vAngAma keLamba mAttOm'), great fan of KVM & mellisai mannar but didn't like IR that much. I used to have hours of argument with him during my school days on IR-MSV but still loved him as a friend.

He had a master's degree / gov job / very brilliant and married this pAvam girl in the year that I entered college. Her family moved to Trichy area from ilangai during 70's. At the wedding in my dad's village, I made friend with her younger brother who was doing engg and a big MSV-lover also. It was a fun wedding.

Well, due to job situation, the man had to be away from wife - typically meeting during weekends only even during their initial days of family life - but they seemed to be very happy and had two children one by one.

Later, possibly there was extended time periods of the man being away or chemical imbalance or whatever and trouble started...It was during my bachelor days at Palakkad that I came to know about this man furious over his wife (suspicion of fidelity) and trying to get a divorce The whole family of the girl got depressed over the issue and her brother who was already suffering deep depression -discontinued engg studies- killed himself

It was a mad situation for both the families and the families of their respective married siblings and none could do anything to convince the man Finally, his younger brother's wife - an enterprising lady - took the charge, got proper advice from a mental health clinic plus help from relatives (included my mom) and got him "arrested" to the clinic
    (At that time I didn't know the technique they employed to trap him but later I had to use the same or very similar trick on another guy - an alcohol addict - to bring to deaddiction clinic).

During his "rehab" period, my dad took him to my bachelor room, we went to dam / garden etc and all of us were slowly overcoming the grief that was caused due to his problem. Soon after, when good sense prevailed, it was made sure that he lived with wife and children in the place of employment! Me & my room mate had an interesting long bus trip to his house, carrying a huge new TV on bus for them (we had to unpack to load it into the bus and repack inside the bus to arrest damage ).

After years of strained relationship - well, the lady had to be praised for her patience - they are living happily everafter They had a third child too

Moral of the story - when in doubt, ask!

When in serious doubt, seek medical help!!

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, we've ended 1989!

Happily for hubbers who are regular visitors to this thread, the year full of kahAnees comes to an end and I promise not to bore anymore with long stories

Time to compile the links

Param,
    Yes, it's the same mythological person (who is not seen anymore on the surface of the earth...possibly he is sweet 16 somewhere else)

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by app_engine; 13th March 2012 at 12:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    #317 ராத்திரி நேரத்தில்
    (அஞ்சலி, 1990 )

'rAththiri nEraththil' from anjali

The album had 7 songs and four were by group of kids! Possibly the first such album ever in TFM to have majority of them sung by kids! The other three songs were solos by established singers - SPB / SJ / Usha Uthup doing one each and all had tremendous drum work plus lot of guitar / synth stuff.

The only song that possibly had traditional IR arrangements was anjali-anjali-anjali, with choir-like singing and terrific bass guitar score! My most fav of the album, obviously This was closely followed by the terrific 'motta mAdi motta mAdi' with lovely wind instrument work (and the most interesting one on screen ). 'iravu nilavu' & 'vEgham vEgham' come after that. 'something something' / 'vAnam namkku veedhi' after that.

The "technologically distorted" SPB song is the last & least preferred song of the album for me. However, due to the following factors, the album sold like hotcakes and this song too was getting played everywhere :

-terrific IR-MR combo, after the phenomenal success of agni natchaththiram
    -advertised as IR's 500th movie
    -all songs except the 'anjali anjali anjali' had trend-setting orchestration / drum work / electronic sounds etc

I got the cassette immediately upon arrival and it got played in the bachelor home all the time, with the neighborhood kids ageing from 3-10 having a terrific time with us. Often we took the children to town, got them ice cream etc and became so lovable to all the "colony" members (about 20 houses off of the highway, mostly occupied by employees of same company / group...most were reasonably young families and ours was the only bachelor home)

Personally, I had great time listening to the cassette and also getting "engaged" in that time period It was also the first movie watched after making the commitment
    (Unfortunately, it was a big azhugai movie - uncontrollable flood of tears the first time! Any watch later on in the small screen too typically ends up with tears for me and kEvikkEvi azhal for my wife)

sOdhA (ok ok sAdhA) song for Bala in a landmark album of IR!
    Last edited by app_engine; 13th March 2012 at 01:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Though IR had done around 40 films in Thamizh this year, it appears to be pretty lean for SPB

I've already skipped many movies(no SPB)...

Well, tomorrow's song will be very remarkable!

A milestone number!

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Personally, I had great time listening to the cassette and also getting "engaged" in that time period It was also the first movie watched after making the commitment
    Hmmm.... Now I understand your less-than-great enthusiasm for soccer. Any other eligible bachelor from Palakkad would have frozen the ponnu parthal during Italia-90 period

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=app_engine;826347Like I posted many times before, it was typically like - chEran or KSRTC bus to Cbe on Sat evening, 2nd show at Cbe, then 4+ hours of musical bus journey to town, get the early morning first bus to village, spend the day at home and leave in the last bus from the village. [/QUOTE]

I must have missed it when posted before...which is the town sir???

Also I'm amazed you spend 10+ traveling just to spend 10+ hours at home. Perhaps bus journeys were a pleasure those days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by al_gates View Post
    I must have missed it when posted before...which is the town sir???

Also I'm amazed you spend 10+ traveling just to spend 10+ hours at home. Perhaps bus journeys were a pleasure those days.
    Dindigul (dhiNdukkal in Thamizh).

Why such a complicated travel?

-6 day work week, Saturday full day...factory env, so permission to leave early wasn't an (easily available) option - so typical time to leave was after 5 PM.
    -Even if one catches a direct, express kind of bus, it would have taken > 4 hours for the not-so-great-road-ride of 170 km
    -Last bus for village at 8.10 PM, taking a cab would have meant spending >10% of monthly income on just one <10 mile trip
    -Even if you do all that, you would simply have to hit the bed and sleep (as the house rule was sleep before 10 PM, appA romba stricttu)

Compare that with the alternative of relaxed ride to Cbe, dinner at Lakshmi complex (or Aarvee etc) , roam around a little bit / get a couple of latest cassettes, watch 2nd show, choose buses with music to reach the town & catch the first town bus in the morning (sleep a couple of hours as necessary - which'll keep one fresh for the whole day)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by al_gates View Post
    Hmmm.... Now I understand your less-than-great enthusiasm for soccer. Any other eligible bachelor from Palakkad would have frozen the ponnu parthal during Italia-90 period
    poNNu pArththal keerththal ellAm oNNum kidaiyAdhu

We've enjoyed each game of that FIFA - those that we couldn't see live (due to work) got recorded on VHS and watched...not a single one was missed