Page 343 of 400 FirstFirst ... 243293333341342343344345353393 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,430 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Devendran who did BR's Vedham Pudhithu. All confusions.
    I thought it was IR
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    app_engine,
    Nitpick: The musical instrument is "shehnai". Shenoy is a surname.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik) View Post
    app_engine,
    Nitpick: The musical instrument is "shehnai". Shenoy is a surname.

nanRi for pointing out the blunder

Post Thanks / Like
    3 songs due today (sat / sun / mon)...with the first two, we're also ending 1989. Both are from VVP, obviously.

For the first song of 1990, I've picked rAsA's 500th movie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine22 View Post
    I remember seeing this movie some years ago, Shobana was the pair for Satyaraj.
    nanRi Divine22, for the confirmation on herOini & the kind words!

Post Thanks / Like
    My father used to use "shehnai" as a synonym for "saniyan". Until about I entered college, I grew up thinking of shenai as a bad word .

Post Thanks / Like
    Later I learnt that the logic for his use of shenai as an abasagunam word is because of its sad strains while purportedly being a mangaLa vaadhyam for auspicious occasions. It is the lack of delivery on promise(of auspicious music) that irked him the most and confined the word to profanity status

Post Thanks / Like
    #315 ஏய் ஒரு பூஞ்சோலை ஆளானதே
    (வாத்தியார் வீட்டுப்பிள்ளை, 1989, சித்ராவுடன்)

Eh oru poonjOlai ALAnadhE of VVP with KSC

A song where KSC almost sounds like SJ, especially in the pallavi line Excellent song - melodious and soothing with its flute accompaniments! SPB sounds like 20-something mArkkaNdEyakkural! With nice vaLaivu neLivukAL, the song has a "magudi" effect and can calm even a person of murderous rage! If I'm into "therapy using music", I'll strongly recommend this song to people with disturbed mind, in a rage, burst of anger etc to manage and control / subside their urges (OTOH, this may increase certain "maRRa" urge and one has to have a proper outlet for that )

Again, a song known to me only thru Cbe-area buses and was unquestionably popular!

Now, per my outlined plan, this song should have some interesting thing related to marriages / match making etc. Earlier, baroque admonished people to shed stigma (of 'attakkaruppu / sekkachchevappu' problems). Per my observation in TN / Kerala all thru the 70s-90s and even in the new millennium, this had been a problem - even though all of us can be called 'brown' in general. This 'fair color' had often been a decisive factor in picking the bride! TN-dark-boys-falling-for-fair-KL-girls wasn't an unusual thing.

I had a eastie team mate (from Gauhati, he didn't like to be called "northie") who loved 'sheNbagamE' and often hummed it. He often ridiculed TN-ers for this craving of fair thOl, especially pointing out to our movies having dark heroes dancing around with "imported fair" girls Interestingly, however, I happened to be involved in a "match-making" that was simbly opposite to this general state of the affair. (BTW, it was after Y2K and hope many of this type happen now).

I had a friend of friend, originally from TN but settled in KL due to his railway job. He & his kids had dark features (perhaps that was the reason for his love for coal / steam engine). He kept mentioning to me of not having enough contacts in TN and thus his difficulty in finding a boy for one of the girls who was in mid-20's. She had kaLaiyAna mugam but karuththa peN (that too thamizhachchi) inside KL getting a match was almost like a kuthiraikkombu.

Well, I mentioned this to my father during one of the phone calls and he told me that there's a malayALi guy - his neighbor - inside TN, looking for a bride from KL. I told him that this girl can speak both tongues, like the boy, and can be a potential match.

I was privileged to attend the marriage of them (and even gave a short speech in MalayaLam) The boy was no MGR but definitely with typical malayALi features. He had his own cottage industry in TN - that he subsequently left behind for the siblings and moved to the girl's town in KL to start their life. I had prayed as much for the girl as my sisters for a happy married life...

About a month back, when talking to my father, he handed his phone to a visitor. Yes, it was the malayALi boy from TN who married the Thamizh girl from KL.

I was so thrilled to hear his happy voice telling me "aNNE, enga poNNu anjAnglAss padikkiRA"
    :AnandhakkaNNeer:
    Last edited by app_engine; 12th March 2012 at 09:57 PM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    SPB sounds like 20-something mArkkaNdEyakkural! TN-dark-boys-falling-for-fair-KL-girls wasn't an unusual thing.
    What does this word mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post

He often ridiculed TN-ers for this craving of fair thO
    True, I only find this insanity amongst Tamilians, in the west, They love to be brown, they go through various tanning techniques (sun beds) even tanning tablets to be brown! South americans / Spanish people here are said to be the good looking one
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    Param,
    mARkaNdEyan = enRum pathinARu vayadhu person, per Indian mythology

(BTW, the nickname for Sivakumar is mARkkaNdEyan in the Thamizh tabloids).

I just added 'kural' to it as it suits SPB perfectly