Page 33 of 400 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    ponnula ponnula is quite a riotous celebration of a song. I'll tell you something - sub-consciously this song evokes a memory of being in a thiruvizhA with speakers booming and all the colours of the festival around you. The catch is I have never been to such a thiruvizhaa.

So, going by app's description, either I have some ESP of a previous birth - or that is how much Raja can paint a landscape and milieu and transport it to your heart. I think Jai covered this concept few months back in PFC.

Ofcourse, you can always question the authenticity of the thiruvizhaa evoked in m y mind but then that is why I never shared this here until I saw app's real-life descriptions that startlingly match with my mind-picture,
    That is Ilaiyaraaja!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,Wonderful write-up on 'Ore Naal'. This one song can stand any length of time without getting old at all. And this film itself on the whole was a revolution and relevation and I believe it has taken the whole TN by storm. Any time I listen to this song (infact all of this film's songs), I can't forget to go back to that time. Still remembering we mimicking the bell-bottom pants, the step-cutting hairstyle (covering little more than half of our ears, can't believe how long we used to spend our time before the mirrors ), and that fine moustache (eventhough I was not old enough to bear a moustache saw my elder friends doing that) just dripping around the lips, just like Kamal. Heavenly days!
    Last edited by V_S; 3rd May 2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you V_S, it's impossible for me to listen to IR's 70's songs (or for that matter, the 80's ones) and not have some kind of nostalgia Issue of formative years, I think

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful, App_eng.
    thanks for your time & passion.
    late 70s... some of us are forever fond of early IR.
    It is hard for me to remember what I had for breakfast or lunch or dinner just a previous day, but nostalgia about my Ilayaraja sangeethams & the places we grew up, all those adolescent years I spent are in my memory forever. It is soothing for my mind and manasu santhosham.

thanks for S.P.B- Janu paadalgal link.
    amazing compositions. I will enjoy at the end of the day.

vinatha.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Quicky checked out the page on SPB-SJ, nice selections

One small nit pick, the song 'pAdu nilAvE' is from the movie 'udhaya geetham' (and not 'thEn kavidhai' as this page says, that phrase is actually the second line of this song )
    Correction Done. Thanks.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    !
    என் மனதில் அன்பை விதைத்ததென்ன உந்தன் மோகம்தானா!

பாலு-ஜானகி குரல்களில் ஒரு ஐஸ்கிரீம் சுவைப் பாடல். அழகான பாடலில் திருஷ்டி போல எனக்குப் படுவது அந்த "உய்யலா உய்யாலூலா" கோரஸ் தான். அதற்கு பதிலாக ஏதேனும் வார்த்தைகளை நிரப்பியிருக்கலாம்.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App anna , Keep up the good work

Nathiyil aadum poovanaum - Kadhal Oviyum. Wow what a rendition by Balu sir, All of SPB sir's Romantic songs gives extreme pleasure to the soul, I am not sure how to explain it, and here are few of the soul stirring songs from SPB!

1) MayilE MayilE un thogai engE - SPB + PS , is it an IR compostion ?
    2) MazhaiyE MazhiyE ilamai - SPB + SJ ( I think the actors were Partap and suhasini)
    3) Nathiyil aadum poovanam - SPB + SJ kadhal oviyum
    4) Radha Radha nee engE - Meendum Kokila
    5) orE naal unnai naan - SPB + VJ
    6) ilamai enum poongater - SPB ( worst picturisation )
    7) Sundari kannal oru sethi - SPB+SJ (thalapathy)
    8) Vaa vaa vanch ilamanE - SPB+SJ (Guru shisyan)
    9) Thogai ilamayil aadi varuguthu - SPB (Payanangal mudivathillai)
    10) Kadhalin deepm ondru - SPB (thambiku entha orru)

tired now more later!
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    #12 மேகமே, தூதாக வா, அழகின் ஆராதனை
    (கண்ணன் ஒரு கைக்குழந்தை , 1978 )

This "radio-only-hit" song from an obscure movie should be quite an interesting one for any who look into IR/SPB archives. My listen this morning took me straight to the valve radio days when even switching on a tube light with an aluminium choke could create intolerable noise in the radio reception, spoiling the listening pleasure. (In our home's case, it was even worse as the power supply at one point of time was shared with a school building and there could be any number of noise sources).

This is a "hurried" kind of song. 3 stanzas in a 3 minute song (which means very limited size interludes, hardly any prelude, no postlude)! That is also reflected in the beat progression for the pallavi while the saraNam has a typical IR tablA.

Nevertheless, the song is sweet - SPB/PS reflecting the joyful mood of the tune and singing with energy. I'm wondering whether the song got recorded in 1976/77 as the name of the movie seems to try and leverage the badhrakALi hit. The structure of the song also suggests somewhat earlier time period (i.e. than that of the more polished ones that we see in 1978 Chittukkuruvi, IO etc).

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two more songs in 1978 (will be posting them tomorrow / day after) and both are SPB + chorus kinds and not duets.

So, until 1978, i.e. during the first 3 years of IR's TFM existence, SPB had equal number of duets with SJ & PS (5 each).

Of these, all the PS ones were at least radio hits while SJ had 4 (the other SJ number from peN jenmam I heard only last week, when looking around for this thread).

The sole VJ number was a huge hit.

So, at least from the SPB-IR combo POV, there was no "sidelining of PS to support SJ" from IR .

If anything, it was "sidelining VJ" !

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    megame thoodhaga vaa.......is one of my favorite IR's pahadi-ragam, app-eng.

Our life got better and better as we passed our elementary, middle school years ..
    yeah... Alaigal oivadhillai, Naan paadum padal, Salangai oli, kairasikkaran more more....

good old ilayaraaja days
    Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 3rd May 2011 at 10:41 PM.