Page 319 of 400 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321329369 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,190 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #299 உன் மனசுல பாட்டுத்தான் இருக்குது
    (பாண்டி நாட்டுத்தங்கம், 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்)

un manasula pAttuththAn irukkudhu (serious version, not the jolly KSC solo)

My most favourite part of this song is the end of the saraNam and how sweetly it connects back to the pallavi! The KSC solo was much more popular I think , the no. of times I heard that version is easily at 4:1 ratio compared to the relatively serious duet with SPB. SPB gets the whole first saraNam (great violin accompaniment thru out, enhancing the listening experience) and hums in the second interlude. From the song construct of "seperation of singers to portions of the song", it's possible both the lovers are in a situation they cannot meet. Not a new technique, though effective always in TF songs - that jell well with the story.

This is perhaps the only song that I assumed to be part of some grAmarAjan movie those days. IR cuts down the flute in many places in the duet version and it kind of demonstrates his preference to use flute for happier occasions (especially the call-response kind which he might have mostly reserved for happy-only-sichchuvEshans and switched off / replaced with strings for seriousness). This does not mean he totally avoided flute for sad situations, just the order of preference / technique to contrast the feels etc as per a pAmara observer. That is, in songs. On his BGM however, there're no defintions, rules possible - not even a "mostly" thingy. ethu vENA eppO vENA varum but correct feel-ukku mattum uththaravAtham

I mentioned in an earlier post that I didn't have these songs on personal collections. However, my brother had this song and whenever I visited home (typically once a month), this got played aloud in the stereo system with "detachable speakers" (a big thing those days) and the song was so immensely enjoyable!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    This is perhaps the only song that I assumed to be part of some grAmarAjan movie those days.
    Nice catch App! This song definitely resembles the ones from Ramarajan movies. The best part is normally IR does not slow the pace for the sad version. Just a change in orchestration does it all. There are many examples like this. Even with this pace, we can feel the sad mood, that's the hallmark of genius!

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi V_Sji!

Hey, it's celebration time today - the #300!

We'll have the mango cuckoo post soon

Post Thanks / Like
    For a change, let me post youtubes before the post

the karagam version of mAnguyilE:
    Last edited by app_engine; 24th February 2012 at 08:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The terrific duet version of mAnguyilE :

Post Thanks / Like
    #300 மாங்குயிலே பூங்குயிலே
    (கரகாட்டக்காரன், 1989 , தனித்தும், ஜானகியுடனும்)

mAnguyilE of karakAttakkAran (solo & duet with SJ)

One (rather two) of my all-time-IR-SPB favourites! SPB at peak form and rAsA fully charged up to organize excellent repertoire of mELa thALams to take the song to soaring heights! It's still flying high for me and cannot possibly come down ever Both versions have great preludes (whether the thavil adi dhadi followed by nAyanam in solo or the terrific strings backed up by thavil again in the duet) as well as sweet interludes. The change in pace in the later part of saraNam adds to the charm and makes the song extremely melodious.

The pallavi melody is based on an existing folk devotional (as informed by jAmbavAns in old tfmpage threads) but excellently adapted by rAsA to be a pucca film song. As one can see from the youtubes posted above, the movie scenes -especially for the solo- are quite interesting as well and we lost count as to how many times the VHS was rewound and watched in the bachelor home! At the time of arrival, there was none whom I came across not liking either the song or the girl who shows her face in the song! It was all "like" "like" only

I preferred this number as the 300th to the A-S ones mainly to give a fitting credit the thread nAyAkarkaL IR & SPB, as the A-S numbers had Kamal stealing the show quite a bit. OTOH, no competition here - grAmarAjan - though fits to a T - can only take as much credit as Goundamani or Senthil or Kovai S or Kanaka and not a lot more, IMHO. Even the whole movie was a big rAsA show, compared to many other popular movies in his "hit-flooded-career". Ofcourse, GA did a nice job of adapting the NT-Padmini classic thillAnA mOganAmbaL (Kothamangalam Subbu story) from nAyanam / bharatham to karagam and the movie had terric comedy by GM-Senthil to ensure great commercial success. But rAsA has a slight edge over others -strictly IMO - in taking the top spot for the "reasons for success" in this case. That way, this song is a movie-career-milestone for him! (Well, within the album, it should be 'pAttAlE budhdhi sonnAr' that showcases his role - but in public view, mAnguyilE = karagam).

Interesting album overall - SPB had these two numbers, rAsA had two (what a sweet 'indha mAn'), MV had two (ooru vittu & mAriyammA) and Mano got two as well (kudagu malai & mundhi mundhi). An album rich in country drum adi-dhadees as well as sweet themmAngu melodies. Interestingly, in my personal observation, these were thoroughly enjoyed by even 'city-born-and-brought-up' kids - tons of them, demonstrating the power of maN isai! I'm sure GA had a significant role in collecting laddoos from his brother and this one film / album is sufficient for him to be remembered forever in TF chronicles!

I don't want to bore hubbers with any more Palakkadan stuff on this post (had been writing something or other every now and then in various threads whenever karagam comes up). Just want to sincerely thank everyone for patiently putting up with me for these 300 days! (I know IR-SPB combo is so irresistable and the songs are so sweet that my kaththi gets tolerated It won't be too long before this compilation gets over, looks like we're >80% done). Interestingly, the only days we lost were due to two major events - 1. Mrs IR's demise & 2. the hub-hack ; otherwise we had average one song per day for the last 10 months!

Makes me feel really good

Post Thanks / Like
    chinna time chart of this listing :

Started on 22nd April 2011, with nAn pEsa vandhEn of pAlootti vaLarththa kiLi as the first song of SPB under IR's baton

First century on 1st August 2011, with nee thAnE endhan pon vasantham of ninaivellAm nithyA...interestingly, a movie is now under production with this name (nee thAnE en pon vasantham by Gautam with IR's music).

200th on 16th November 2011, with adhikAlai nEramE of meeNdum oru kAdhal kadhai.

Triple century today - 24th Feb 2012, with mAnguyil

Now, there are just 2 months or less to reach the 2nd year

:nanRi: makkaLE!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    app,

This thread is definitely one of the greatest achievements in tfmpage history. Should rank along with Manisekaran's writings on Raja. What an extraordinary effort you have put over 2 yrs. I say this because I tried doing a Rare Raja series on twitter and I couldn't get beyond 80 songs. Remember, it was twitter and all I had to do was give a link and then drop in a couple of tweets about that song. Even that was tough and I couldn't carry it beyond 80. So I can fully appreciate the magnitude of what you did.

Contrary to what you may believe, people did enjoy reading your experiences. I am sure other than those who commented, there are lot of silent spectators who would have enjoyed reading about your college and early work days. (Not to mention the 'almost love story' experience ) Great work by you and all praise that you get is fully deserved.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    :nanRi: makkaLE!
    நன்றி உங்கள் சேவைக்கு! அக மகிழ்ந்தோம்!

மாங்குயிலே பற்றி ஒரு சில வார்த்தைகள்:

1) கல்லூரி முடிந்துவிட்டிருந்த வயதில் பதிவுசெய்யப்பட்ட ஒரு பழைய இசைக் கச்சேரியை வீடியோ கேசட்டில் பார்க்கும் வாய்ப்பு . அதில் பாலு ராஜாவிடம் மாங்குயிலே பாடலைப் பற்றி சுவாரஸ்யமாக கேட்பார். அதற்கு ராஜா "மாங்குயிலே" பாடலை பாடிக்காட்டி அதிலிருந்து "ராத்திரியில் பூத்திருக்கும்" பாடலுக்கு தாவுவார். இரண்டுமே ஒன்றுதான் எனச் சொல்வார். பாலு அசந்து போவார். இதைப்பார்த்துவுடன் எனக்கு தலைகால் புரியவில்லை. ஏனெனில் கல்லூரி கடைசி ஆண்டு விழாவிற்கான அந்தாக்ஷரி பாடல் போட்டி- ஐந்து சுற்றுக்களில் ஒன்றிற்கு வித்யாசமாக யோசித்து செயல்படுத்தினேன். அதாவது ஒரு பாடலில் பல்லவியை/சரணத்தை இன்னொரு பாடலின் பல்லவி/சரணத்தின் மேல் பாடிக்காட்டுவது. அப்படிப்பட்ட வகையில் உருவாக்கி வைத்திருந்த ஆறேழு பாடலில் முதலில் நான் யோசித்தது மாங்குயிலே பாடலை ராத்திரியில் பூத்திருக்கும் பாடலின் ராகத்தில் பாடிக்காட்டுவது. போட்டியாளர்கள் தங்கமகன் என்பதைக் கண்டுபிடித்து அதிலிருந்து இன்னொரு பாடலை பாடிக்காட்டனும். அப்போதான் முழு மதிப்பெண்கள்.

2) ட்ரம்ஸ் சிவமணியிடம் ஒரு ரேடியோ பண்பலையில் உங்களுக்கு பிடித்த தாளக்கட்டுக்கள் நிறைந்த ஒரு சினிமாப் பாடல் எது? என்று கேட்கப்பட்டது. சற்றும் தாமதிக்காமல் அவர் குறிப்பிட்டது "கரக்காட்டக்காரன் படத்தில் வரும் மாங்குயிலே"
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    That was a superb write-up on one of the best song (and best soundtrack) in tfm history Could not believe we have come to the 300th day. I agree with Suresh ji for your monumental effort. Hats off! It is no way possible to carry 300 continuous days and still more days to come. I also concur, this is one of the best threads in tfmpage history. It was a great nostalgic trip you had taken us to. Best wishes for many more posts to come.
    Last edited by V_S; 25th February 2012 at 10:32 AM.