Page 309 of 400 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,090 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Param,

I think you've mixed up the two songs in your post...let me try to clear it up:

1. 'poonthEnil kalandhu, pon vaNdu ezhundhu' - SPB/PS song is from the movie ENippadikaL. The composer is K V Mahadevan, thirai isaiththilakam aka mAmA

That song is different from :

2. 'mEghamE, thoodhAka vA, azhagin ArAdhanai' - another SPB/PS song that is from the movie kaNNan oru kaikkuzhandhai. This song is from our man, IR and had already been covered in this discussion earlier as #12, please find the post in the link below :
    http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...l=1#post681251

for the clarification
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, Param for the kind comments on the story

Moving on to the next song on VV...and this has to be a SPB-SJ one...

Post Thanks / Like
    #290 தத்தோம் தளாங்கு தத்தோம்
    (வெற்றி விழா, 1989 , ஜானகியுடன்)

thaththOm thaL(d)Angu thaththOm

This can be called a "loop" based song At the minimum, there's a repeating "loop" in the prelude, both interludes and the postlude (however, the interludes are not totally ditto). I don't think it was a "bought-out" piece but a rAsA construct. With Pratap Pothen as the director, such guitar (or synth) delicacies are only to be expected. Despite that, the overall song sounds so much of 'TFM' and not 'western', IMO. Also, the strings' usage is very different in this song - someone please identify what kind of western genre uses strings this way, very thrilling (check the goosebump prelude, for e.g. or the response after 'iNaiyaththAn iNaiyaththAn' in the saraNam)!

Both SJ & SPB thoroughly enjoy singing this number and I think this should be one of those cases mentioned by SPB as the "ongoing competition" between them in duets. All to our benefit Being the younger of the two, SPB does some gimmicks somewhat easier than SJ I think. The drummer needs special mention too - what a lovely work!

I think the song is some kind of 'club-dance' thingy with the new replacement for silukku (or for anurAdha), i.e. thuNivE (and not thuNiyE) thuNai girls -disco Shanthi dancing with Kamal. I'm not sure whether other film fields refer to female avayavangaL just like that in mainstream songs, like TFM does Anyways, that is not new to veRRi vizha -we've been accustomed to such lines right from MGR days (or may be even prior). vAzhka thamizh!

The veRRi vizhA cassette was a big favourite, blasting loud in the music system, at our bachelor home during late-89 / early-90 days. There was this little kid of our neighor (who was also a manager at the workplace) who loved to spend time with us and he was still speaking mazhalai, calling this cassette as 'vetti viLA, vetti viLA', insisting us to play all the time Later on, when one of the vetti viLA songs got played in oliyum oLiyum on TV (may be this or some Kushbu one), we watched with him in his home, with his parents & one year older sister. The boy shocked everyone by loudly asking why the girl has so less of clothes
    Last edited by app_engine; 15th February 2012 at 02:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    #291 பூங்காற்று உன் பேர் சொல்ல
    (வெற்றி விழா, 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்)

The most melodious number of the movie, appropriately picturized on the top pair (KH-Amala) and IIRC as a flashback. I remember being in arai-kuRaiththookkam when this song came up and suddenly got alert and started watching the movie with consciousness again Breezy orchestration and sweet singing by both SPB & KSC. eththanai muRai kEttAlum salikkavE salikkAtha padal vakai. Especially the saraNam portion - right from the start, it's quite intoxicating and when the portion with violin accompaniment comes up, one feels like flying!

One of our housemates was a big fan of Amala (while most were at least small fans). Being good in pencil sketching, he did a fantastic pencil sketch of the actress and it's still in my memory. Obviously, it will be injustice if I don't mention about this engineer artist who also provided a lot of real-life-fun to us during the bachelor years. Before we all moved into a home, he was in a monthly-rental-lodge (like all of us) in the "downtown" area of Palakkad and he shared the room with another engineer who was my team lead for many years. This artist was lean / slow / laid-back (often he takes a nap on the bed immediately after reaching home from work; removes each shoe with other foot & kicks his shoes off after lying on the bed) but his roomie was "poosinArpola udambu" / brisk / paraparappu and the very sight of seeing both of them together provided us so much fun! Obviously, both were part of the "second show group" that included me, for many movies.

Once we decide to go to a movie, we typically plan to finish dinner in a restaurant between 8-8.30 and walk to the theater for the 9:15 show. Our paraparappu friend usually finishes his dinner within 15 min and most of us are done in 20-25 minutes and are ready to leave. But not this artist

He typically orders the item that takes max time ("boness chillie chicken", for e.g.) and won't even get the food served until his roomie is done. Then he eats at his very leisurely manner, while others show some restlessness. By 8.50, everyone will be ready to run and he'll still be with his food. When the bearer brings the bill, he'll ask him to bring "lemon tea" , another custom-made-time-taking item those days.

Being considerate to him, we'll leave telling that one of us will wait at the gate with his ticket and invariably it had to be his roomie (Others had strong preferences, like "I can't miss ads", "I need to see newsreel", "I want to enjoy title-music" etc). It used to be hilarious to see our paraparappu fellow's irritation and shouting at his roomie who never gets perturbed by any of these Well, each person one meets in life adds to the fun quotient!
    Last edited by app_engine; 16th February 2012 at 02:33 AM.

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App, just curious...were you ever bitten by football fever while you were in Palakkad. I ask this because Palakkad hosted the Santosh Trophy in Mar 91, where Kerala lost to Maharashtra by a solitary goal in the final. They beat Goa 4-3 in the semis.

It was their 4th straight final loss - lost to Punjab in 88 final(Quilon), lost to Bengal 89(Calcutta), lost to Goa(Margao) in 90, lost to Maharashtra(Palakkad - 91). Finally they travelled to Coimbatore for the Feb 92 final. My cousin who attended said truckloads of fans arrived in lorries from Palakkad all the way to CBE's Nehru Stadium. Kerala won 3-0 vs Goa and finally got the Cup.
    1988 was when IM Vijayan made his debut and that 88 team had Pappachan, Thomas Sebastian, VP Sathyan, Cherian Perumali, Chacko etc. These players turned out for Kerala Police/Titanium/KSRTC in the leagues.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear about your friend. I too have many friends like that, IdiyE vizhunthaalum avanga tempo'vilathaan iruppaanga. In college years, these film songs sounded great not only because of Maestro alone, but due to lyrics also. Since we (I believe everyone) stop learning our mother tongue from/during college years (as it was not part of curriculum), film song lyrics was the only medium to learn and appreciate our language. That too as teen-agers any love-based songs will immediately capture us. This song is one among them which had some lovely lyrics. I think it is Vaali sir, but not sure. Especially we loved these lines.

நீல வான் கூட நிறம் மாறக்கூடும் நேசம் நிறம் மாறுமா
    கால காலங்கள் போனாலும் என்ன காதல் தடம் மாறுமா
    Last edited by V_S; 16th February 2012 at 05:55 AM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poongatru was one hell of a song!
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by al_gates View Post
    App, just curious...were you ever bitten by football fever while you were in Palakkad. I ask this because Palakkad hosted the Santosh Trophy in Mar 91, where Kerala lost to Maharashtra by a solitary goal in the final. They beat Goa 4-3 in the semis.
    Football (soccer) - viLaiyAdiyadhOdu sari...to follow, it had to be minimum FIFA
    (There was a lot of talk in the workplace on the Santhosh trophy ofcourse, me not much into it...moreover, 1991-la more important things that kept me very busy - kalyANam Ana varusham )

Post Thanks / Like
    dig

Posted a thoovAnaththumbikaL song youtube in the Indian films forum...

neither the song nor the movie should be missed by any connoisseur of films / music, IMHO. Ofcourse, don't watch the full movie with kids as it's for mature audience, this song youtube is ok for all - rated G ...

end-dig

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, V_Sji!

Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    I too have many friends like that, IdiyE vizhunthaalum avanga tempo'vilathaan iruppaanga.
    In course of the 1989-1990 songs, I may post another incident or two of these wonderful duo