Page 305 of 400 FirstFirst ... 205255295303304305306307315355 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,050 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Param,
    varusham is listed as a 1989-er, we'll get to that song in due course
    Indeed it was. In fact, it released on Feb 18 1989. That was the same day the Sportstar started their 4 page Mega posters. I have some not-so-fond memories of this day. I was a little kid then growing up on tons of Amar Chitra Katha. There was to be a Mahabharatha quiz at a certain location in the town on that Saturday. One of my close friends in class was also taking part in that competition. He said he would come over to my house and we could go together to that Quiz venue. That morning I waited and waited for him but in vain. My dad did not want to take me to the venue in case my friend reached our house after we had left. Finally, with about 15 minutes left for the contest, my dad rushed me to the venue. And who do I see there but my friend happily seated and waiting for the contest to start! Apparently participants needed to contest as a team of two, and since I reached the venue late, I had no one to team up with. It was a long and lonely ride back home.

I recollect that I was too small then even to feel offended or angry. I was just too confused by my friend's act. I didnt confront him about it and talked normally with him after that. Wish I could carry the same child-like heart which takes no offence all through my life.

First few months of 1989, we were listening to hits from movies like Varsham-16, Pandi Nattu Thangam, Mappillai before Peculiar Brothers was released. Malayala Karaioram echoed through many a street. My fondest memory of that summer of '89 would be pedalling back home with my friend from a Sports Club, the time was 5:55 PM and parents had asked us to get back home by 6PM, as we were pedalling back furiously through narrow lanes and streets, AIR would be playing 'Poo Pookum Maasam Thai Maasam' as the last song on Thirai Isai before the 6PM radio news.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    ....like that one day thrillingly following a bus full of Kottayam beauties who waved to us.
    Idhellaam dhaan life 'thrills'-nu unga payyan friends kitta sollidatheenga...they will fall down in laughter

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    aNNAthe aduRAr youtube :

Post Thanks / Like
    App seems to have got a better friend than Santhanam in Polladhavan "dei nee loverai pArkka thuNaiku kooptAlum paravA illai...neeyE pArkka dhaanEdA pORa idhukku oru thuNaiyA?" . Al gates - indeed, the veera theera prathaapangaL of those days are jujubee for today's youth. Evolution!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by al_gates View Post
    Idhellaam dhaan life 'thrills'-nu unga payyan friends kitta sollidatheenga...

Will I do such muttALthanams? I'm careful enough to be kap-chip in front of today's youth (posting in hub is a different matter as the IR-forum may have a few visitors in 40's-50's-even 60's and some can relate to what the thrills were a quarter century before)...

Can you imagine Suruthi doing a 'thuNi thuvaikkal' as in moonRu mudichchu (or Ek tujE kE liyE)...If that's the case with kAdhal iLavarasar, ordinary 'app-an suppan' ellAm emmAththiram?

Though maruththuvar thamizhkkudi thAngi is generally considered a comedian in politics, occasionally he spills pearls (especially when talking about madhu arakkan), his recent one :

"muRkAla thamizh iLaingarkaL pOrukku (war) pOnAnga...ippO TN iLaingarkaL bArukku pOrAnga" (not coffee bar, tasmac bar)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    App seems to have got a better friend

Plum,
    Actually he was a smart-looking, brilliant youngster (ARadi, MGR-Kamal mAdhiri attractive appearance) who chamaththA loved a girl and married her too...reasonably successful in career also It was simbly fun for him those few months of late-89 / early-90...

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    APP

Aboorval Sagodharargal - What a movie - Milestone for SPB and IR..

If a commercial album of this quality does not come often.

IR simply rules.

Bala

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by balaji View Post
    a commercial album of this quality does not come often.
    Very true!

We've covered the Raja songs, now over to App-u...

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    AS - One of the very best albums in Tamil Cinema IMHO.
    I would perhaps rate it in the top 10 from whatever i have heard.
    So many times ive gone into a trance listening to Pudhu Mapilaiku and Raja Kaiya Vacha.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    Suberbly written. Neenga nalla kathaasiriyar aagalaam. In "Now over to Appu", I sense some sentiments in your story too.