Page 304 of 400 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304305306314354 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,040 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give me that monster rhythmic delight, one more time tonight before I finish my kitchen works, app_eng!

Behag delight hey oraayiram.... meendum kokila, kettundu vandhen while driving tonight,

What a ullam kavar kalvan, SPB with Ilayaraja's bass guitar, flute, smooth singing, nature calls!

தலைவன், காதல் பேரரசன் etc..
    எல்லாமே S .P .பாலசுப்ரமணியன் தான்

vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 10th February 2012 at 11:45 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then why were those mutual pArvaipparimARRangaL (rather pArvai 'vizhungal'kaL)? To this day I can't explain and my mind was confused then too as to why I was thinking about such exchange even hours after work - say while listening to rAsA songs in the bed later or my favourite vaishAka sandhyE for the nth time (over a period of time, memories related to her have become synonymous with this song)! If I move my eyes away from hers and look at the face or the person, she was still unattractive but once the eyes got locked together, there was no escape - it was like magic
    Indha idathula scene 'cut' panni, 'vazha vaikkum kathalukku je' potrukkalaam..

kalakkitel, app! am waiting for the next episode..

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque View Post
    romba aacharyamaa illai, even for Kamal, tfmusic stopped using Bala early of this decade.
    Yes Kamal has stopped using IR + SPB since late 90's?? , but RK has stopped using IR since Veera, that was back in 1994 IIRC, but all the other MDs( Arr, Deva , Vidyasaagar) of RK movies have "Always" used SPB in their albums!
    Last edited by PARAMASHIVAN; 10th February 2012 at 06:19 PM.
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi baroque, for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by baroque View Post
    appadidhaaney namba grow aagarom.
    Very true, the whole 'vaishAka sandhyE' addiction was a major "wisdom-tooth" experience

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi V_Sji & RR sir, for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by RR View Post
    Indha idathula scene 'cut' panni, 'vazha vaikkum kathalukku je' potrukkalaam..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    all the other MDs( Arr, Deva , Vidyasaagar) of RK movies have "Always" used SPB in their albums!
    Movie industry worries about "adhirshtam" business more than any other thozhil I think...using SPB for at least one song in Rajinikanth movies has become that kind of sentiment, IMO. (adhilum 'intro song by SPB' illAtti rombavE problemAm...they point to that as a reason for bAbA not doing well...)

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Movie industry worries about "adhirshtam" business more than any other thozhil I think...using SPB for at least one song in Rajinikanth movies has become that kind of sentiment, IMO. (adhilum 'intro song by SPB' illAtti rombavE problemAm...they point to that as a reason for bAbA not doing well...)
    Yes, valid point!
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Thanks Jai. Wow! entire screenplay written on a car drive, that too within 3 hours? Unbelievable! Very sharp and brilliant guys!
    ayyoyyo ezudhinadhaa sollalaai. they conceived it and changed the existing story of AS on a 3 hour car drive - hotel, theertham selavu ellaam michcham.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jai, I got it. I too literally didn't mean it was written, it would have been discussed thoroughly during the travel. Again, I write some horrible english.

Post Thanks / Like
    #286 வாழ வைக்கும் காதலுக்கு ஜே!
    (அபூர்வ சகோதரர்கள், 1989 , ஜானகியுடன்)

vAzha vaikkum kAdhalukku jAy ('appappA thappukkuththavichchEn' )

With a terrific prelude (almost like "smooth jazz"), the song gets into a breezy start and progresses to 'sokka vaikkum' levels, thanks to the expert singing by the top duet pair! Things rarely go wrong when IR-SPB-SJ are in the label of a Kamal song. It's only a question of "where does this stand in the overall ranking of songs for this great-4-combo". Well, this is somewhere in the middle - not among top 30% or bottom 30%, orchestration is definitely top class but the mettu is not too melodious IMO. Except the couple of lines that come after 'thappukkuththavichchEn' in the saraNam, it's pretty average.

On-screen too, this comes somewhere in the middle for KH-IR-SPB-SJ duets. Ofcourse there's good physics-chemistry-biology between the boy & girl but the setting is very masAlA, i.e. until the hitchhiking part comes. After that, the driver-cleaner fellows dampen the fun. So, the summary rating is around 5 in a scale of 1-10

There's definite brilliance in the screenplay - with the connection of Raja & the corpse of Francis Anbarasu, however. Single Madras to Pondicherry trip-la ivvaLavu creativity-yA? Great fellows! (However, overall, AS pales in comparison to MMKR in the Crazy-KH combo).

The song was a big "youththu" hit those days. And I don't see a reason why it would not become a similar hit if it arrives in the new millennium too, it has aged well IMO - especially the prelude and interludes. thALakkozhuppu may be quite limited but there's this jazziness that is not timebound. BTW, was this the "carrier-first-duet" for the Kamal-Gautami pair? If so, some historical importance there...

The 'vaishAka sandhyE' kadhai too gets on the road now, with the new motorbike that was strictly needed only for a 2 mile commute in the morning, 2+2 miles for lunch (we bachelors had Mr.Cook now) and another 2m back home in the evening, with petrol below Rs 20, 50-60 kmpl & not too much worries about money. The end-result was total abuse of the vaNdi, with carefree roaming around for hours in the evening - often for what my manager used to call "vAy nOkkAn pOyOdO?"

Well, it was not always fun - actually one evening during the early bike days was a disaster. Coming out of the workplace in the evening on panchayat road, me and the pillion saw the "birds" standing for bus (including 'the girl') and tried a stylish curving entry into the highway without noticing the sand on road, skidding and crashing like stupids! With left indicator broken & "painttu pOyi" on elbow (for both of us), it was a huge embarassment in front of the girls. arakkappaRakka got up and rushed out of the scene with shame, not looking at left or right!

While the shame prevented looking at her the next day for a while, addiction prevailed and I had to give up. The sadness & parivu in her eyes made me feel "friendly" and for the first time she looked beautiful. What followed was worse - every now and then I started trailing the bus until she got down in her stop The first time she saw me in her village bus-stop stunned her (obvious on the face) and it took a few moments before a smile (sneer?) can be exchanged! Since I didn't want the pillion friend to know of my eye-addiction, the rides were termed "trips to dam" (her stop was on the way) until the real reason was opened out to him during a Kingfisher (or Golgonda Ruby) session. His reaction? "What is life without such kiRukkuththanams, man? " So, that's how he became the person to have a great deal of knowledge about the whole thingy

He was such a nice friend though, gave me company in rain and shine during such foolish trips for a smile / sneer (and nothing more)! Well, he had some "fringe benefits" too - like the continuation of the ride to Malampuzha for some pleasant evenings...like that one day thrillingly following a bus full of Kottayam beauties who waved to us. We spent hours walking / sitting / standing around them in the garden (it was thrilling to hear their 'enthu rasam ee paiyyans' remark) and a lot of waving / smiling etc. In the end, they invited us to share their dinner which we politely (shyly) refused but they insisted in at least giving us two packets of food (collected while riding the bike parallel to the running bus, thru window ). Those packets helped us realize the fact that one need not eat tasty - may be should even have awful grub - to be beautiful...

Well, in short, for a while there were lot of comical stuff in life - until the power above decided 'enough is enough'. (thodarum)
    Last edited by app_engine; 11th February 2012 at 02:42 AM.