Page 274 of 400 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284324374 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    Did you read the Deiva Magan scene Murali-sir wrote? Wow, like revisiting that scene, I can go on rereading Murali-sir's writing.
    pala muRai rasiththu padiththirukkiREn
    (padam pArththadhillai )

BTW, nanRi for additional info on jallikkattu
    Last edited by app_engine; 12th January 2012 at 08:08 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi V_Sji!

By the way, you have some 'pazhaiya bAkki' in this thread

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am still simultaneously working on two songs one for Raja duet thread and 'Ilanjcholai'. Please give me some more time. Also, you might have noticed, my thoughts on the songs will be more on the emotional/nature based on what I perceive on Maestro's orchestration, rather more on the technical side, if that is acceptable, as I don't qualify there, yet.

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    The music album can also be called as one of the "average" albums of TFM (and by rAsA standards definitely below-average album, with Mano doing that kAdhal kiLiyE kAdhal kiLiyE song). Typically, after watching an IR movie, one song or two gets muNumuNuththufied for at least a week - even if I had not heard them before. In the case of jallikkattu, it was 'kaththichchaNdai pOdAmalE' and that tells the overall quality of the songs.
    I had the same thoughts around that time, but after several years, one fine day I heard this again on car stereo during one of my india trips and since then I'm hooked. Man, how such unexpected listens in coffee shops or radio can grab your liking..! Really cherish those moments..!

In the movie, the song starts when judge Sivaji decides to mentor criminal satyaraj to settle scores. He says something like gurushethram, kannan, therOtti, arjunan and geetha upadhesam.. (you can imagine) And the camera zooms in on a miniaturized chariot.. Romba carebul-a gavanichaa, camera angle would've brought the chariot into the screen already when sivaji is lecturing. direction.. direction..

Ok.. as the camera zooms on the chariot, the song starts with the prelude.. the beats is actually like a chariot running. It's the main motif and comes through out the song. A trumpet lead takes it to the pallavi. The pallavi is quite simple ( but in picturisation you can see things like: 'nadakkum nadayile irul vilagudhu..' shows the legs of the actors and shadows fading.. ). The first interlude starts very interestingly but spoilt by the lousy humming - off key (who is the singer??). It's the charanam that brings us really into the music and mood. The charanam tune is really a take off on the chariot-running rhythm motif. Watch how the pattern is built up slowly and taken to a wonderful culmination.. and smoothly blends into with the pallavi. I never get tired of this part. Trademark IR! Probably he composed it just-like-that. But this is really the most beautiful part of the whole song.

Second interlude starts with a beatutiful piano piece and then you have strings, etc joining - typical IR orchestration. Fortunately no humming here. 2nd charanam comes then. Again the same build-up on the rhythm pattern and crescendo, .. and leading to the pallavi again. I love this whole damn part

Basically the song is rather routine and a cakewalk for the stalwarts involved - be it singers spb,mano - actors NT, SR - or IR. Lyricist kekkave venaam. Just stuffing words into the tune: ondraanOm, rendaanom, moondraanom.. kai sernthathu, kaal thadukkiyadhu, etc. Not even one word about upadhesam - even though the picturisation shows it. It's the charanams that give life to the song..!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rakesh anna

Sadly yes, they have sung quite a few songs under IR, some in eraly 90's for some Sathyaraj movie, some thing along the lines of "Ganapthy" ..... I think the movie had Sathyraj/ Rehman and Kasturi
    Last edited by PARAMASHIVAN; 12th January 2012 at 09:31 PM.
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Please give me some more time.
    ungaLukku illAdhadhA?
    dhArALamA eduththukkunga, engaLukku kooduthal 'vatti' kidaikkum - neenga bank mAthiri

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR View Post
    Man, how such unexpected listens in coffee shops or radio can grab your liking..!
    Exactly, varshA v/s bucket kuLiyal

Excellent post / analysis on the song, I admit never giving this close a listen to the number

Reading your post enhanced my listen of 'rAja rAja chOzhan nAn' during the morning drive. The first pallavi has underwhelmed me on occasions (despite KJY, nice prelude etc - may be because in the back of the mind comparing the great 'en iniya pon nilAVe') but the spirit typically soars once the goose bumpy first interlude plays and it only gets better with the great saraNams. Now, the end of saraNam and entry back to pallavi is typical rAsA fashion and the song gives a consummate feel.

Taking a leaf out of the writings of V_S, I felt that rAsA possibly had ponni nathi in mind while constructing this song that has ponniyin selvan in the pallavi. The first interlude is like hogEnakkal phase, saraNams are like the Mettur / Bhavani / Erode phase, the guitar stuffed second interlude reminds Trichy area and the final pallavi (where strings are added) reminds the delta area enna oru flow!

I love these lines by Vali (which happens to have my favourite part of the melody / drums combo - dance worthy):

வில்லோடு அம்பு ரெண்டு கொல்லாமல் கொல்லுதே
    பெண்பாவை கண்கள் என்று பொய் சொல்லுதே
    Last edited by app_engine; 12th January 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR View Post
    Lyricist kekkave venaam. Just stuffing words into the tune: ondraanOm, rendaanom, moondraanom.. kai sernthathu, kaal thadukkiyadhu, etc. Not even one word about upadhesam - even though the picturisation shows it.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rakesh, V_S and app for the compliments.

Nice write up RR.

Regards