Page 269 of 400 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279319369 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque View Post
    Did not want to steal the thunder from IR-SPB with Nandha en nilaa......DMurthy-S.P.B.
    Once AV published a photo of IR with Dhakshinamoorthy.

IR has regarded him as his guru and also stated humbly that he wasn't qualified to talk about that musical genius

So, 'nandhA nee en nilA nilA' is pretty much within the scope of this thread

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Er, Nandha Nee en Nila Nila nayagan madiyil is one amazing Ghazel like song! It is shame it was picturised on VK Kamal/Karthik would have been a better choice!

Simply Love the song, one never gets tired of it! Only SPB Possible! Every single word is emoted with awesome emotions by the Genius! Listen to the line "Agasthiyan pOtrum arunthathi neeyE"
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    Thanks Baroque. Look at him enjoying himself. When I was a kid I always objected him putting his own twist to the songs, always wanted them to be exactly the same. But these days I really enjoy watching him improvising. I mean, I'd rather listen to the original if I want it the same. During concerts, you should get something additional, and this man delivers. Awesome rendition.
    I have stressed many times, SPB is the only singer who does "Justice" in the name of "Improvisation" to the Original tunes,How ever I have not seen him doing this with any IR tunes!
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Great going App as usual You are too fast to catch up. Please give me some time, lot of my favorite songs posted that too in my favorite year 1986.
    nanRi, V_Sji!

Please post your observations on MTK songs as well as on iLanchOlai pooththadhA.

While browsing through old tfm pages, I found yesterday some discussions on iLanchOlai in a thread for Hariharan's pronunciation blemishes. Geetha, a HC-ARR / HH admirer tried there to bracket SPB with HH for pronunciation goof-ups, quoting the word 'iLanchOlai' pronounced as 'iLanjOlai' which was Thamizhkkolai it seems. She also claimed there that MV pronounced it correctly in the same album...do you know if there is a MV version of this song on the cassette?

Here is that old thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Y.Geetha
    When you speak of SPB, do you know that he still writes all the words in Telugu and have you noticed songs like IlanCholai poothathaa? He sings IlanJolai, instead of IlanCholai.....Malaysia Vasudevan also sings the same song, with the Correct pronounciation

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,

Could not visit the hub for the last few days and so couldn't revert to you immediately. Now coming to your doubts,

Saadhanai was a hit movie crossing 100 days and the song Oh Vanambadi comes for a cinema in cinema song. NT a famous director wants to film his dream project - the Salim Anarkali love story but he is unable to fulfill his wish in his younger days due to various issues and misunderstanding with his wife.Later in life he gets to direct the same. Prabhu, his son is a saamiyar and NT persuades him to act only to see Prabhu falling madly in love with the heroine [played by one Bhuvani and if IIRC she was the grand daughter of GN Velumani the owner of Saravana films which produced Baaga Pirivinai, Paalum Pazhamum, Kudiyirundha Koyil etc] and this song comes as a love duet between Salim and Anar. NT had not directed any films but had he done that, what he would have expected from his artists would be clearly visible here. Especially the scene where he would teach Prabhu how to do a Raaja Nadai and show the heroine how to blush and walk gracefully is still etched in mind. Yes as rajkumar mentioned, IR comes in as IR and does the song composing [NT's dialogue "unnai maadhiriye en payyanum oru ssaamiyaarthaanpaa"].

Thaaikku Oru Thalaattu, a remake of Balachandra Menon's Oru Painkili Kadha was an avarage success and this song was for Pandiarajan, I think [Paandiarajan came as NT's son]. Pazhya Paadal pola, the remix song which we people were eagerly expecting was not there in the movie except for a brief flashback scene. Grapevine was at this point of time [the movie came out on 16th July 1986], IR and VM combo was falling apart and since all the songs were written by VM for this movie, IR made Vaali write one song and that came as a montage song during titles. This IR did allegedly,as the song had become very popular and VM was talking in length about it. While pressed for non inclusion of Pazhaya Paadal pola, Menon said due to paucity of time the song was not picturised but that was a cover up because as I had mentioned earlier,when NT thinks about Padmini [after she passes away], a small bit of that song's charanam would be shown. Nostalgic lines were those

நிலவிலே வாழ்ந்தோம்
    பனியிலே சேர்ந்தோம்
    சரித்திரம் கேட்டோம்
    தலைமுறை பார்த்தோம்

அந்த காலம் பந்தம்
    அழிந்து போவதில்லை
    நம்மை போல யாரும்
    ஜோடி சேர்ந்ததில்லை

IR was ruling the roost and therefore neither producer KRG nor director BCM could do anything.

As you rightly said Unakkaagave Vaazhkiren was a remake of Shyama and in the same manner Manidhanin Marupakkam [the 150th movie of Sivakumar] was remade from another Mammootty film Nirakoottu. Mammootty had tonsured his head for Yaathra [Balu Mahendra] and director Joshi wanting to make use of this get up did a quickie and this was a run away hit.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, Murali sir for the details and additional interesting pieces of information!

Mammootty had tonsured his head for Yaathra [Balu Mahendra] and director Joshi wanting to make use of this get up did a quickie and this was a run away hit.
    People who spend years and yet produce mediocre movies should learn from such experts

I love that film and 'poomAnamE' is one of my all-time-fav songs!

Post Thanks / Like
    #250 கண்ணா உனைத்தேடுகிறேன் வா
    (உனக்காகவே வாழ்கிறேன், 1986 , ஜானகியுடன்)

The fantastic strings beauty sung by the top pair when they were in top form!

A song that I can hear on repeat for many days!

I can go on and on about the prathAbams of this song and still cannot do any justice. I'll let musical experts like V_Sji, skr, Sureshji talk about its merits

Let me stick to my favourite passtime - that of ruminating on some malarum ninaivukaL! (Definite sign of getting old. But then, who cares when the world has already concluded that I'm old BTW, the half-filipino-half-jamaican BA of our team was telling about the remark our Indian teammate made to her about me, after seeing my pic that was taken by another ChennaivAsi who recently visited our place: 'Hey, I was thinking that this guy must be young but he is so grey'...His earlier notion could have been based on the way I speak in conf calls...however I've never tried to give the impression 'I'm also youththu')

Like I mentioned in the prior post, this song was first heard while sitting in a bus in Oddanchatram bus stand, fretting why it was taking so much time in such a small place and not leaving yet. Like a great blessing, this recording shop which is very close to the bus station started to play this song aloud in a terrific music system and I was flying (instantly recognizing that this must be a recent IR number)! Well, from that point of time, I've heard it many times on buses and never had a chance to know the name of the movie. Still, I was sure that it was an IR song - going by the signature drum work and the strings. Not that I would have loved the song any less had I found out that someone else was its composer. It would have been a major surprise without doubt but couldn't have reduced the appreciation of the song any bit!

It was in tfmpage - i.e. more than a decade later - that I asked a question (in the song-stats thread) and found out the name of the movie That way, this song is a very unusual case of being on the top-likes list - to the extent that every bit of the song can play from memory - but without knowing the credits / details! Blame it on TN's bus culture where they didn't announce the movie name but simbly played song after song Funnily enough, in Y2K, there came a movie with the name kaNNa unnai thEdukiREn and fortunately I found out 'unakkAgavE vAzhkiREn' before that. (That makes it a small chain - unakkAkavE (nAn) vAzhgiREn - was the popular anupallavi line from the MGR song vizhiyE kadhai ezhdhu from urimaikkural).

I must mention here the fantastic music quality of the recording centers that supported the buses running between Pazhani & Dindigul! (That Oddanchatram center would have been one among those). They were phenomenal! Combined with the excellent sound equipments those private buses installed those days, it was such a terrific experience for the most part, despite the fact that they played them really loud. (During mid-90's, however, on occasions I had to request the buswAlAs to lower the volume to stop my son's non-stop-crying, often due to nArAsamAna noisy songs that occupied TN's soundscape).

While there may be a few other IR-SPB-SJ numbers in the history that were more liked by me than this, looking at just the year 1986, this is the undisputed champion for this combo and deservingly the last song to close this year

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App,
    I am still reading your MTK posts. Too hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    This song is not so much of akkA-thambi feel, however...it has started to feel like ammA-paiyan
    thEdum kaN pArvai youtube:(I think this is the quick-sand number)
    if someone was in a "dry" thuvAkkudi for 4.5 years and then got employed in an extremely "rainy" Kerala, it was only natural to keep the eyes open for flowers - even during sleep. Due to strong beliefs in self-control / discipline etc, the nectar level - why even "speaking" level - was never reached.
    What a terrible stereotyping and underestimating of Mr Viswamithra!

It seems you are totally recharged during the Christmas/New Year holidays. I could not resist laughing out loud. What an energy in your posts. Your eye lock story was very interesting, but you ended so soon. It's unfortunate you didn't talk. But very nice reminiscence.

As you said, MTK songs are one of best in TFM. My picks are thEdum KaNN Paarvai and Ooru Sanam. Somehow I remember this movie also did well, not sure though. Could not forget Mohan's trademark costume and acting, especially in the songs, his unique shaking of head, always in tight shirt, mostly full hand.

Digression: (As this song is not a part of SPB-IR thread), still could not resist.
    I could not believe how Kuzhaloothum KaNNanukku transformed from folk to jazz in Cheeni Kum. I would even say, only after the sibling, these two songs were a treat to listen. While the former is Chitra's signature song, the latter is Shreya's signature song. The guitar portions (
    1:22 - 1:33) in Baatein Hawa followed by the sax are extra-ordinary by any means. How the same tune (which most people associate to TN), when sang in Hindi with different orchestration completely transformed into a perfect Hindi song. That's the Maestro magic for you. It applies to other songs in Cheeni Kum too. Totally that TN flavor is gone. We have to credit Balki too for that.

I didn't want to post this video, still AB's charm in this song is unbelievable. His acting from
    0:40-0:52 when he teases Tabu, I love it. The dialogues again are too good. Again one of the best picturized Raja song.

End Digression:

Thanks grouch for posting Vaan Meedhile, stunned to hear the similarity.

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi, V_Sji for your kind comments & cheeni kum video!

When you have time, please post your observations on the other songs as well (esp iLanchOlai)...

I'll do the 'links-for-1986' post today before starting the year 1987...