Page 264 of 400 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274314364 ... LastLast
Results 2,631 to 2,640 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This and Idhaya Kovil (combo films in one cassette) played on loop in my uncle's car which we hitched for a ride to relatives wedding. Long trip, thoroughly enjoyable thanks to this. So, upon hearing this song, I am immediately transported to my cheriyacchan's wedding at the end of '86.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    'dhil dhil dhil' youtube
    (shows Amala again, must be a kanavu scene...)

Looks like all the SPB numbers are for Mohan-Amala (Radha gets kuzhaloodhum & ooru sanam, however).

It's too late in the night...and 'vA veNNilA' calls for some "confessions" ...so, has to wait till tomorrow to post!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App anna

Regarding Mella Thiranthathu kadhavu, who actually composed the tune and who scored the BGM for the songs and the film? because on the CD I bought, it said MSV+IR. But having listened to the songs, all songs(tunes) sound so much MSV ish, except Vaa vennila, which sounds typical Ir ish.

Regarding SPB+PS combo, I agree (though I am big fan PS's voice) SPB's voice is highly youthfull, while PS sounds mature! IMHO, I feel TMS + PS combo is the next best combo in TFM after the addictive SPB+SJ combo
    Last edited by PARAMASHIVAN; 3rd January 2012 at 09:34 PM.
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    Param,
    Someone quoted MSV's TV interview (in one of the threads) as below:

-MSV did melodies for all except kuzhaloodhum which was by IR
    -MSV "approved" the melody for kuzhaloodhum
    -That rAsA used kuzhaloodhum's tune for a song in Balki's Cheeni kum also endorses this claim
    -vA veNNilA was a "reworked" tune from an old MSV song (so, your guess of that being IR-ish is quite off the mark)
    -Orchestration was by IR for the most part

According to a DF-er in tfmpage who happened to be in the studio for one of the composing sessions of MTK, there was close co-operation between the composers with a lot of suggestions coming forth from both as well as a lot of mutual admiration / appreciation between them

Personally, I feel MSV probably didn't think about the 'sakkarakkattikku' song which sounds like typical IR Perhaps he wasn't even aware of the existence of that song

Also, IMO, the closest co-operation between the genius composers happened for the 'ooru sanam' song. Very different from anything that MSV & IR did prior or after. True fusion of thoughts from both!

Another interesting fact: IR's previous "boss" - who happened to be a close friend of MSV as well - the late composer GKV, was involved in this project too, as an actor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    -That rAsA used kuzhaloodhum's tune for a song in Balki's Cheeni kum also endorses this claim
    Are you talking about the movie with AB and Nandita das?? I can only recall a song by KSC in this film , which was direct copy from IR's "Mandrum vantha thendralukku mancham vara" ??

Yes, now that you mentioned Kuzhaloodhum , and sakarkati does sound so IR ish
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    Faram, as Balakrishna Sastry would say: reNdu thappulu. Nandita Das illai - Tabu. KS Chitra illai - Shreya Ghoshal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Faram, as Balakrishna Sastry would say: reNdu thappulu. Nandita Das illai - Tabu. KS Chitra illai - Shreya Ghoshal.
    Thanks Flau annEh

I was confused over Nandita das vs Tabu, still recovering from the new year celeberations
    Last edited by PARAMASHIVAN; 3rd January 2012 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    #245 வா வெண்ணிலா உன்னைத்தானே வானம் தேடுதே
    (மெல்லத்திறந்தது கதவு, 1986 , ஜானகியுடன்)

This version has only humming by SJ, with SPB singing all the lyrical lines. There's another SJ solo version. Either way, this can be listed as one more top SPB-SJ duet! A very romantic one, IMO. With sweet guitar portions accompanied by clap sounds, this song sounds very folkish. Even having some northie feel. The instrumental accompaniment for the last line of the saraNam is so sweet. That is my favourite portion of the song and the singers excel there as well. So much sugary!

So, it's only natural that some "pattAmpoochchi-in-mind" moments of 1986 are triggered (that I mentioned about confessions that needed to be made in this post) As we all believe, vaNNaththuppoochchi enjoys flowers not just for the nectar but also for the beauty. (Those who study butterfly science please confirm if they prefer one kind of flower to another, based on the color / freshness / fragrance etc and not just for the purpose of feeding its stomach). In any case, when used as an uvamai - equating pushpams to the prettier gender and poochchees / vandoos to men, it applies more for the apperance than for "nectar" - that is, at least until the 80's-90's OK, don't want to generalize there, namma kathaiyaippoRuththa varai avvaLavu thAn

So, if someone was in a "dry" thuvAkkudi for 4.5 years and then got employed in an extremely "rainy" Kerala, it was only natural to keep the eyes open for flowers - even during sleep. Due to strong beliefs in self-control / discipline etc, the nectar level - why even "speaking" level - was never reached. However, the eyes had feast for years until the real love got firmed up and kAl kattu happened. Well, let's limit to the early Palakkadan days - precisely the later part of 1986 / early 1987

If someone had watched 'engEyum eppOdhum', a recent movie (I liked it very much), it's possible they at least smiled - if not LOL'ed - at the Trichy girl who comes to Chennai for an interview alone and heavily suspects the stranger boy. In 80's, a similar & typical situation existed for TN boys who got work assignments in Kerala. One of my classmates said "you were in this dry campus for so long that every girl will look like apsarus for a long time - so, wait for at least a couple of years before tying the knot" Little did he know that I always had more concern for parents / family. A similar thought was expressed by many friends / relatives to be "careful" lest you'll be "vaLachchuppOttufied" What a terrible stereotyping and underestimating of Mr Viswamithra!

Well, the management of my workplace thought of even more extremes - that they made strict dress code for girls / long overcoat etc. On top of it, the strict enforcement of the rule that both marriage mates cannot work for the org, to keep it with more rigor. None of those advices, rules were needed for a bayandhAnguLi like me but still they were all constant reminders of the "possible danger". However, the flesh & blood - especially the organs that make opthalmologists rich - cannot be that easily bridled.

So, I had enough of those intoxications - some even ran for days / months before passing. Each one accompanied by a rAsA song of that time period (For example, there was this beautiful girl who always had a single red-rose and got into the bus few stops after mine and always peered into the rear of the bus to locate me & lock the eyes together for the rest of the journey - day after day - for months and she was termed 'chinna maNeekkuyiloo' ). Interestingly, none of those ever ended in any vocal conversation.

So was this lean and sharp nosed bus-stop girl, who happened to work in the same campus as me but in a different building and who gave those 10 minutes of pattAmpoochchi moments while waiting for the bus to go to work from Palakkad fort maidhAn. Well, she got the 'vA veNNilA, unnaiththAnE vAnam thEduthE' title Always clad in kanji-pOtta-cotton-saree & very elegant with lovely eyes, it appeared that we missed batting the eyelids while waiting for the bus. It went on for months, with nothing else - may be there was a hard-to-identify-punnagai, from both, at the end of the 10 minutes daily.

Well, the whole thing ended when her unit got moved to another campus and the bus route changed

There ended the 'vA veNNilA' story
    Last edited by app_engine; 3rd January 2012 at 11:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    With that post, both MTK & the songs for each day of 2011 got completed.

I still have a long way to catch-up as we're in the 3rd day of 2012!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post

So was this lean and sharp nosed bus-stop girl, who happened to work in the same campus as me but in a different building and who gave those 10 minutes of pattAmpoochchi moments while waiting for the bus to go to work from Palakkad fort maidan. Well, she got the 'vA veNNilA, unnaiththAnE vAnam thEduthE' title Always clad in kanji-pOtta-cotton-saree & very elegant with lovely eyes, it appeared that we missed batting the eyelids while waiting for the bus. It went on for months, with nothing else - may be there was a hard-to-identify-punnagai, from both, at the end of the 10 minutes daily.
    ithu unga vootu kari ammaku theriyumma