Page 263 of 400 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273313363 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,630 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    app,
    NIce write up. elam ipo dhan padikaren.......

Wish a Happy New Year to All of U.............
    Usha Sankar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    app,

'yaar thoorigai' is an outstanding melody. Excellent arrangements. There is a set of songs like this, 'maargazhi paarvai', 'manadhil enna ninaivugalo', 'vaanam enge' etc which showcase the ultra modern Raja. Extremely wonderful songs in every aspect. Can't believe someone could have composed them in late 70s/early 80s. He can actually do a one or two hour concert with just songs like these, which were outstanding but never got popular.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App was coming here to read and actually thank Usha for sharing "Yaar Thoorigai" song...now I can thank you both This song nicely finished off my year...being the last track to be played repeatedly before the year came to finish...an old song found anew...just like old memories and their nostalgic sweetness relived anew...

Wish You All A Very Happy New Year!!!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi groucho, buggle, Usha akkA, Sureshji and Querida for the visit & comments

I'm behind by four days - due to continuously driving around (NY / NJ / DE states & finally back to 'home-sweet-home' about an hour back, welcomed by snow after an unusually warm year-end...It was funny to watch a motor cycle rider on Jan 1st @ Schenectady, NY where it used to snow heavily around this time of the year)...

Since I have one more vacation day left, will try to post as many songs as possible later today (after getting some sleep)

Post Thanks / Like
    Que,
    en perai izhutheengala.. Thanks a lot . hehehe....
    Usha Sankar

Post Thanks / Like
    app,
    eagerly waiting for ur picks and for ur write up............
    Usha Sankar

Post Thanks / Like
    To gain speed and catch-up, I'm picking a movie with 3 SPB hits...perhaps one of the best ever albums in TFM but my top 2 picks do not feature SPB. (One is a KSC solo and another SJ solo).

BTW, rAsA gets only 50% credit for this album

These three numbers should complete the year 2011 (already behind us) and we can pick the next movie for 1/1, 1/2 & 1/3 (hopefully I'll catch up by tomorrow).
    Last edited by app_engine; 3rd January 2012 at 11:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    #243 தேடும் கண் பார்வை
    (மெல்லத்திறந்தது கதவு, 1986 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Though it was written by AVM Saravanan that MTK was a benefit match for MSV, the major beneficieries were TN people! What a fantastic musical treat we got, such an evergreen treasure! An 'akshaya pAthram' of abundant sweetness! With the only difference from the perungAppiyam maNimEkalai is that I continue to be a "still-hungry-Kayasandigai" I don't think my appetite / thirst for these songs will end even after another 1000 listens. On occasions I'll let 'kuzhaloodhum' (or 'ooru sanam') on repeat mode for days in my car, never needing another song at all. What MSV / IR / KSC / SJ have reached in this album is such an extraordinary height that can't be so easily reached by most musicians in this world!

Coming to SPB, it's interesting to see that his favourite composers missed giving him a solo in this unique album. Possibly the movie director's choice - who is another favourite of mine - R Sundarrajan (This movie was a sodhappal, however, IMO...I watched it only a few years back on a very-good-quality DVD and wasn't impressed. The picturization of 'kuzhaloodhum' is awesome, however! One of the best-ever in TF IMSO! That DVD watching was the inspiration to start a thread earlier, with the title "Appreciating good picturization for great songs" which ran into 100+ pages...UshakkA , R Balaji & Saradha madam had excellent contributions to that thread...unfortunately, it vanished one day )

thEdum kaN pArvai is an agmark MSV-tune & very typical IR-orchestration (i.e. what IR does for RS / Motherland pictures kind of movies). I especially love the saraNam portion - SPB is awesome there and the tune is phenomenal! Ofcourse, rAsA places his muththirai in the flute ending of the first interlude - terrific! SJ isn't at her best in this song - sounds almost like weeping even though the scene didn't call for it However, the variations given by her to the pallavi in the end are 'nOkku varmam' variety (what is the term for mesmerizing through ears?)!

I don't think this movie enjoyed a very successful run...possibly "5-kku 2 pazhudhillai" ragam - i.e. some returns & some benefit to MSV. I think AVM tried the gimmick of switching the flash-back around in some centers (i.e. interchanging the pre-interval & post-interval porions which still makes sense...Amala for one half & Radha for another, both beautiful & talented heroines...Amala comes with head / face covered for a significant part, however).

Regardless of the movie's run, the songs were extremely popular - I would say as much as any big hit in that decade (including the Kamal / Rajini hits). Such was the love TN people had for MSV & IR! Such was the phenomenal quality that the genius combo provided for this movie!

Post Thanks / Like
    #244 தில் தில் தில் மனதில் ஒரு தல் தல் தல் காதல்
    (மெல்லத்திறந்தது கதவு, 1986 , சுசீலாவுடன்)

Another agmark MSV-tune / rAsA-orchestration number. Here again, I love the saraNam melody much more than the pallavi (which is average IMO..i.e. by the standards of the two masters who worked on it. If one goes by the song that SPB got for a giant-banner movie in 2011 - the yucky yammA yammA, dhil dhil dhil can be called something "beyond reach"). I still stand by my not-so-great-love for SPB-PS duets, though I adore the singing of both these greats. (This song is not so much of akkA-thambi feel, however...it has started to feel like ammA-paiyan )

The song was immensely popular and loved by the public. From the time this album got released, for years, there wasn't a trip from Palakkad to home without at least one song from this movie heard somewhere. (Either in the buses or one of the teakkadais in the Kovai-Pollachi-Pazhani-Dindigul bus stands). That way, I'm so proud of the isai rasanai / craze of the majority of TN (of 80's ) ! Well, the MTK songs clean-bowled my Malayali colleagues as well. There was this smart guy from Alappuzha (who joined a year after me, technically weak but wanted to manage a high-tech department that had top-class-engineer-trainees and faded away within a short time) with a great taste for every non-technical thing! (Don't ask me what all, let's stay within music discussion). He had as much appreciation in real life for 'vandhAchchu chiththira dhAn pOyAchchu niththira dhAn' as what Mohan shows on reel! appadiyE pAdippAdi mey silirththuppOyiduvAn!

I don't even remember now how dhil-dhil-dhil is shot on screen...should look at the youtube...

Post Thanks / Like
    thEdum kaN pArvai youtube:
    (I think this is the quick-sand number, total mismatch between SJ's whining and Amala's kuRumbu)