Page 261 of 400 FirstFirst ... 161211251259260261262263271311361 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,610 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Amaamam TMS paadinaar, Kannadasan paattu adhu
    Yes, Only Kaviarasu possible BTW, AFAIK, all 3 dravidian languages (kannada, telugu, malayalam), originated from tamil, so what is the big deal
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Faramu -. nAn edhirpArththa reaction kuduthuttInga.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Faramu -. nAn edhirpArththa reaction kuduthuttInga.
    Neenga itha thaan edhir parthathennu enakum theriyum Flau
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next marvel from Sippikkul Oru Muthu is 'KannOdu Kannaana En Kanna'. Even those days when we listen, we could pick up that strong telugu flavor in the lyrics, tune and singing and could not enjoy the thamizh version. So we would switch to the original to get the best essence out of it, even we could not understand telugu. It is better to listen to this song only in telugu. When we switched to telugu, we were not only comfortable, but we were in for big surprises it offered, compared to thamizh version. The phrase 'pOdamma, pOdu, nalla pOdu innum pOdu' portion is unique only to telugu version and it sounded odd in Thamizh. 'Kottu' in telugu is 'adi' in thamizh, but 'adi adi nalla adi' could not provide good translation in thamizh, so lyricist opted for 'pOdu pOdu nalla pOdu', which could not substitute the telugu word. Since pOdu is not equivalent of Kottu, it again somewhat lost in translation. But, this is not the surprise. The biggest one is how SPB sang the telugu version compared to Thamizh version. While the thamizh version he has sung mostly with his original voice and he did not jell into the character at all (completely). While in telugu he has gone berserk and completely merged into the character and that shows in his singing.

Please listen to the following telugu equivalent portions and we can clearly see this magic is lost in thamizh. I don't know why Maestro didn't want SPB to sing in similar fashion in thamizh.
    Kannodu kannaana en kanna unnai evaradathar kanna, annai unnai adithaLo sami, pinju nenju valikkatho sami.... (listen when SPB sings this line second time, the starting of the song).
    amma, mannai thinga naan siruvano, maayavano kirukkano.. (telugu SPB at his best by any means).
    azhugai vaaraadho, enakku azhugai vaaraadho (another example of SPB's exceptional talent).

and lot more... SPB easliy outdone SJ by his sinungalgals. The ganjeera which comes in first interlude is just freaky, I don't know how many rewinds for that piece alone. The stops in between and the building up the tempo again are truly marvelous, maintaining the same 4/4 time signature (if I am not wrong).

http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=1274
    (video version did not do justice to SPB's singing, still for Kamal's acting).

Post Thanks / Like
    Another lyric thingy v-s - amma nannu kottindhi is normal speak in telugu while "annai ennai adithaal" is neither normal speak nor elegant poetic verse...and similar comparison between rest of lyrics

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    App anna
    So sorry to hear about your chithappa
    Thank you Param, for the concern!
    (BTW, he passed away in '95. So, it's not a recent sOgam...)

Post Thanks / Like
    V_S-ji, Thelungu versions kEttathillai.

However, going by your descriptions, it's possible that the Thamizh recordings got handled by some assistants of rAsA (retaining the orchestral tracks)...86'la yellAm avaru bayangara busy illaiyA?

Post Thanks / Like
    #241 யார் தூரிகை தந்த ஓவியம்
    (பாரு பாரு பட்டணம் பாரு, 1986 , உமா ரமணனுடன்)

The first SPB-UR duet that we feature in this listing exercise And the second only song where Uma Ramanan had a chance to sing with SPB out of these 241 numbers so far. (The first one was not a duet, it had SJ also - 'thAzhampoovE kaNNuRangu' of inRu nee nALai nAn). Sweet number with some lovely flute & guitar work that were characteristic of early-80's rAsA but somewhat unusual in 1986...could be that IR composed it a couple of years back and the movie waited a while to get released.

I didn't have any idea about this movie (actually I even found the name only from the web...Manobala was the director and Mohan the hero it seems). OTOH, the song was very familiar - heard a few times on buses during 80's. Interestingly, I have this song and another from the same movie from a CD that has handwritten title as "Raja-6" (perhaps the personal recording of some relative that was accidentally left in my car). Going by that, I counted it as a "possible hit". However, prior to including in this thread, I wanted to make sure if the song has some web presence (to make sure it really had a decent number of listeners at the time of arrival or later on). Well, there are a few blog posts and discussions on this song here and there. dhool has featured the lyric...so, can be counted for this thread

SPB sounds very different in this song (not to my liking)...but the melody is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    #242 தென்றல் வரும் என்னை அணைக்க
    (பாரு பாரு பட்டணம் பாரு, 1986 , ஜானகியுடன்)

This was the other song from the same movie that I had in that disk (mentioned in my last post). SPB sounds different in this too but this one is a much more acceptable song (sweet melody & the queen in decent form). rAsA had used veeNai freely. And with his chords, drums and flute this song is quite pleasing to the ears. Unlike 'yAr thoorigai', I don't remember hearing this song ever - i.e. prior to this "history-unknown-CD". One of the reasons could be my progressively-less-time-spent-inside TN. Another could be that the songs of PPPP weren't that popular among the masses (and happened to be in a flop movie).

However, the song has presence with above-average viewings for rAsA songs of unknown movies. Interesting to see that the heroine was the same girl who called Mohanlal as 'kazhudha' in that super-duper-mega-hit Chithram Since she was introduced only the prior year as a "side actress" by BR (andha nilAvaththAn nAn kaiyila pudichchEn), it's possible this was her first as heroine. After all, she did another "2nd-heroine" role with BR in another movie this year also. (podi nadaiyA pORavarE, poRuththirunga nAnum vArEn).

Her wikipedia page doesn't mention anything about her first movie as heroine. It has some other interesting info, however - that she was Singapore born and a lawyer by education prior to acting. In any case, though she hasn't done much in TF other than the two roles she did in MM & KK, she had earned a permanent place among MF lovers thanks to the phenomenal success of chithram.

Post Thanks / Like
    yAr thoorigai youtube: